Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-07-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur: Sherlock Holmes Omnibus. v11. 17th Dec 2011

"Sherlock Holmes Omnibus", containing the complete "Sherlock Holmes" stories (4 novels and 56 short stories) of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The contents are:

Novels:
  • A Study In Scarlet
  • The Sign of the Four
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Valley of Fear

Short story collections:
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • His Last Bow
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Edit: 28th March 07

Uploaded v2 of the book. Improvements:

1. Shortened titles so they show up properly in the TOC.
2. Replaced the "global" contents list at the start of the file by an initial "Book Index", with each book name linking to a "Contents" page at the start of that book. This makes navigation a lot simpler. If you're not sure which story is in which book, use the TOC.
3. Added a cover picture.

Edit: 9th April 07

Uploaded an additional file, "Sherlock_Holmes_Smaller_Fonts.zip" with smaller fonts than the original, for those who found the original font size too small. I've left the original file there, so you can have whichever you prefer.

Edit: 8 Nov 07

Uploaded v3. This is a complete re-issue of the book with dramatically improved formatting, better layout, and new and improved sources for some of the material. This was the very first eBook I created, and I've learned a lot about how to do it "right" since the original version was issued.

Edit: 19 Nov 07

As stated elsewhere, I've started a careful proofreading against a good printed edition. This version has "A Study in Scarlet" proofread, with literally dozens of errors corrected. Some are significant (spelling mistakes); most are errors in punctuation or capitalization - questions without question marks, missing or suplus hyphens, etc. Uploaded v4.

Edit: 27 Nov 07

Proofed and corrected "The Sign of the Four". Uploaded v5.

Edit: 14 Dec 07

Proofed and corrected "The Hound of the Baskervilles". Uploaded v6.

Edit: 13 Mar 08

Proofed and corrected "The Valley of Fear". Now a "proper" MobiPocket book with metadata, table of contents links, etc. Uploaded v7.

Edit: 1 Jan 09

Fully proof-read and corrected "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". Uploaded v8.

Edit: 20 Nov 11. v9 Uploaded.

Major edit and re-arrangement of the book. All books within the omnibus are now presented in chronological order and, within the short story collections, the stories in "His Last Bow" and "The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes" have been re-arranged into publication order. Many illustrations have been re-scanned, and several missing ones added. "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" has been restored from "His Last Bow" to its rightful place in "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" (it was omitted from the first English edition because it was felt to be too shocking at the time of original publication). At the same time, the introduction to "The Cardboard Box" which had been (badly) appended to the start of "The Resident Patient" has been removed, and the original Strand Magazine introduction restored. Many hundreds of errors have been corrected, and italics, missing accents, etc, restored. The formatting has been significantly improved (eg letters, newspaper quotes, etc, are now indented and in a smaller font). The result of all this is an immensely improved and much more error-free book.

Edit: 21 Nov 11. Uploaded v10.

A number of people reported typos in the previous upload, so I thought I'd better get them corrected immediately. I've also replaced the cover by one that's consistent with the cover style that I usually use. Uploaded v10.

Edit: 17 Dec 11. Uploaded v11.

A number of MR users have reported small errors, about a dozen in total. Fixed these, and created a new version. Many thanks for these error reports - please do let me know if you find any remaining errors; I'm sure there must still be some!

Previous download count: 4199

Enjoy!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Sherlock Holmes Omnibus.mobi (2.69 MB, 3877 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 12-17-2011 at 04:51 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Yesssssssssssssssssssssss
Thank you!!!
*hugs*
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 3 uploaded. Completely re-formatted the book and used new, improved, sources for much of the material. Now displays proper cover images on devices such as the iLiad and CyBook Gen3.

This is an ongoing work. If you find any errors, or have suggestions for improvements, please do let me know.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

As stated elsewhere, I've started a careful proofreading against a good printed edition. This version has "A Study in Scarlet" proofread, with literally dozens of errors corrected. Some are significant (spelling mistakes); most are errors in punctuation or capitalization - questions without question marks, missing or suplus hyphens, etc. Uploaded v4.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
DeGodefroi
Zealot

Great!
Thnx Harry T
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Proof-read and corrected "The Sign of the Four". This was in an absolutely shocking state, with errors in virtually every sentence. I've corrected literally several hundred errors in this book, and I believe it to be now in pretty good shape, although I would not be so bold as to claim that no errors remain. Uploaded v5.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Forgot, sorry - I added a new cover picture, too.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 AM   #8
DeGodefroi
Zealot

okie downloading........... :-)
thnx much appreciated!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Proofed "The Hound of the Baskervilles". This was in excellent shape - my work consisted of correcting a mere handful of errors, and converting the appropriate words to italics.

Uploaded v6.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 AM   #10
DeGodefroi
Zealot

Great!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
josephsmith
josephsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony sonyericsson M600i
It's a great job, if there are some pictures, fantastic
josephsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
4Wheeldrive
4Wheeldrive began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 72>>Palm TX
I'm just wild about Harry T.

TX much,
4WD
4Wheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Great! I've never read any story of Sherlock Holmes, and I wanted to. Now the time has come

A minor thing: in the Cybook Gen3 library, no author is shown.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
A minor thing: in the Cybook Gen3 library, no author is shown.
That's because it's not currently a "proper" MobiPocket book and hence has no metadata. I'll shortly be posted an updated version with further proof-reading; at that point I'll convert it to a proper Mobi book.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's because it's not currently a "proper" MobiPocket book and hence has no metadata. I'll shortly be posted an updated version with further proof-reading; at that point I'll convert it to a proper Mobi book.
I see, thanks. I've seen that I can add the author anyway with mobi2mobi. I don't want to be a nitpicker, but I've also realized that apostrophes and quotations mark (in this book and others) are straight and not oriented (i.e., they are " and not “ &rdquo. Would it be possible to change them? I'd be glad to help with the tedious work...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote