Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 05:48 AM   #616
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
OFF-TOPIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Save yourself a step. Don't convert at all.
I think you're reading too much into the "conversion" involved. It's just extracting of files, and repacking them in zip/rar. Why would you skip that step if your goal is to have a CBZ/CBR?

I did notice another problem, that some comics use text that's separate from the image, so I'm missing the dedication from American Born Chinese.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:23 AM   #617
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
I think you're reading too much into the "conversion" involved. It's just extracting of files, and repacking them in zip/rar. Why would you skip that step if your goal is to have a CBZ/CBR?

I did notice another problem, that some comics use text that's separate from the image, so I'm missing the dedication from American Born Chinese.
@ZodWallop is advocating to skip conversion to EPUB using Calibre.

I haven’t really used Calibre in a long while. However, back when I used it, even with tablet as output, it would still do lossy JPEG to lossy JPEG recompression instead of just using the original images as-is. One of the reasons I prefer using KindleUnpack instead.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #618
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I missed that epub step. Yes, this isn't necessary.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:39 PM   #619
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Yes. Just open the de-DRMed .azw with the Calibre ebook editor. No need to convert to .epub.

I open the .azw file with the editor, right click to select all images and export them to a folder that becomes a .cbz.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #620
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I picked up Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1.
https://www.amazon.com/Asterix-Omnib...dp/B08BK4M21B/

The text of the dialogue is too faint for me to read. I don't see an ability to enlarge.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:21 AM   #621
salty-horse
Wizard

Logicomix: An epic search for truth by Apostolos Doxiadis, Christos Papadimitriou, Alecos Papadatos, and Annie Di Donna is $5 on Amazon.com
This is a dramatization of Bertrand Russell's life.
Quote:
This exceptional graphic novel recounts the spiritual odyssey of philosopher Bertrand Russell. In his agonized search for absolute truth, Russell crosses paths with legendary thinkers like Gottlob Frege, David Hilbert, and Kurt Gödel, and finds a passionate student in the great Ludwig Wittgenstein. But his most ambitious goal-to establish unshakable logical foundations of mathematics-continues to loom before him. Through love and hate, peace and war, Russell persists in the dogged mission that threatens to claim both his career and his personal happiness, finally driving him to the brink of insanity.

This story is at the same time a historical novel and an accessible explication of some of the biggest ideas of mathematics and modern philosophy. With rich characterizations and expressive, atmospheric artwork, the book spins the pursuit of these ideas into a highly satisfying tale.

Probing and ingeniously layered, the book throws light on Russell's inner struggles while setting them in the context of the timeless questions he spent his life trying to answer. At its heart, Logicomix is a story about the conflict between an ideal rationality and the unchanging, flawed fabric of reality.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #622
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Chivalry, written by Neil Gaiman with art by Colleen Doran, is on sale at Amazon for $5.99. Normal price is $11.99. This came out in April so seeing it for around half price is pretty nice.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #623
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Chivalry, written by Neil Gaiman with art by Colleen Doran, is on sale at Amazon for $5.99. Normal price is $11.99. This came out in April so seeing it for around half price is pretty nice.
Oh, Colleen Doran. I wish she would get her A Distant Soil stuff all figured out and released.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #624
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Oh, Colleen Doran. I wish she would get her A Distant Soil stuff all figured out and released.
ha! I've been a fan since the first story in one of the Elfquest comics. I understand why she hasn't finished it (she doesn't have an income when she's working on her own "commission"), but I'd love to see it completed.

Still, it's hard to complain that an artist I really enjoy is gainfully employed creating other work that I can read.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:45 AM   #625
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
ha! I've been a fan since the first story in one of the Elfquest comics. I understand why she hasn't finished it (she doesn't have an income when she's working on her own "commission"), but I'd love to see it completed.

Still, it's hard to complain that an artist I really enjoy is gainfully employed creating other work that I can read.
I'm talking about a digital release of what has already been released in paper. There were... 42 issues published, I think?

Digitally there are two collections (bought those) and there are issues 1-6 and then 39-42 (which has a teaser saying only 9 issues left!).

I'm not even criticizing. I'm sure there are likely good reasons it hasn't all been digitized yet. I'm just wishing...
Old 07-23-2022, 10:51 PM   #626
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

A bunch of Clive Barker's comic work is on sale right now. Average of $4 a pop, but these are collections of several comic issues.

The one series I would recommend most is Clive Barker's Next Testament. This is essentially a brand new Barker book, but printed as a comic series instead. Three books collect the entire twelve issue series. Recommended.

Hellraiser Masterpieces: This collects short stories originally published in the 1990's Marvel/Epic Hellraiser comic series. Barker didn't write these stories, but Epic was able to get a stable of top notch writers and artists to put their spin on the cenobites.

Hellraiser: This is a newer series published by Boom! (I think?). It actually had Barker's involvement.

Clive Barker's Nightbreed Archive: This one is expensive at $11.50, but it's a 400+ page collection of the 1990's Epic Comics series. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the series. But the first four issues are an adaptation of the movie with art by Cam Kennedy. It's one of my favorite comic adaptations.

Nightbreed: This is a newer series published by Boom! Again, I believe Barker was involved in the series.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:42 AM   #627
salty-horse
Wizard

Witch Hat Atelier vol. 1 by Kamome Shirahama is $1 on Amazon.com
Quote:
A TOUCH OF MAGIC In a world where everyone takes wonders like magic spells and dragons for granted, Coco is a girl with a simple dream: She wants to be a witch. But everybody knows magicians are born, not made, and Coco was not born with a gift for magic. Resigned to her un-magical life, Coco is about to give up on her dream to become a witch…until the day she meets Qifrey, a mysterious, traveling magician. After secretly seeing Qifrey perform magic in a way she’s never seen before, Coco soon learns what everybody “knows” might not be the truth, and discovers that her magical dream may not be as far away as it may seem…
Old 08-11-2022, 07:18 AM   #628
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Witch Hat Atelier vol. 1 by Kamome Shirahama is $1 on Amazon.com
This is part of Kodansha's summer sale, which ends Monday the 22nd, and should be valid at the other stores too. https://kodansha.us/2022/08/09/end-o...ine-wide-sale/

Edit to add: Kodansha's website has longer samples than Amazon provides. Here's Witch Hat Atelier's: https://kodansha.us/series/witch-hat-atelier/

Last edited by FourOhFour; 08-11-2022 at 08:23 AM.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #629
salty-horse
Wizard

I think most of these were previously available in a recent Humble Bundle (which I passed on, because I was only interested in WHA)
Old 08-25-2022, 06:39 PM   #630
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Dilbert: A Treasury Of Sunday Strips - $1.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5BY5RY

I count six other Dilbert books at $1.99.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote