Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-30-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
Vanguard3000
Zealot
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Exclamation Bug with preview pane scrollbar

I've got a strange issue with v1.9.10. I'm using a dual-monitor setup, with Sigil on my primary monitor on the left. Sigil itself is arranged with the Preview pane docked to the right of the main Sigil window.

If I click and drag on the preview pane's scrollbar box, and the mouse drifts to the right screen before releasing, the scrollbar will stay held, scrolling wildly whenever the mouse hovers over the scrollbar. Clicking the scrollbar again will "release" it.

This also occurs without a dual monitor setup, if the Sigil window is not maximized and there is room to mouse up outside the window. Also, it seems to only occur with the Preview pane. I've tried rearranging the window and trying the same thing with the ToC and Clips pane, as well as the main editor pane, and the issue does not seem to occur.

Anyway, overall, I'm really happy with the latest Sigil versions (though the search reset process is odd to me). Thanks for everything, devs!
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can duplicate this on Windows. With Preview undocked, scroll a chapter by dragging the scrollbar button (holding the left mouse-button down) and then move the mouse off of the Preview window and release the button.

It behaves as if the mouse-button is still held down, and the window will scroll whenever the mouse crosses the Preview scrollbar. This continues until the scroll-button is clicked again with mouse over it.

The same does not happen when Preview is docked (nor does it happen with other undocked Sigil widgets).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
QtWebEngine never receives the mouse release event as the mouse pointer is not in the Preview widget when the mouse is released, so the event is probably sent to the entire app itself or MainWindow. This is really a Qt issue as once the pointer goes outside the widget a mouse release event should be injected. Perhaps a bug introduced by drag and drop support. Not sure.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like this bug (not fixed in Qt 5.12.9):

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-70437

or related to this bug:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-89210

Last edited by KevinH; 06-30-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Behaves like the first bug report, indeed. I can confirm that the problem goes away when building Sigil using Qt6.2.2-6.2.4. Are we close enough to a Qt6 release of Sigil to just wait (rather than try to introduce a new qt5.12.9 patch--assuming we could find one-- before then)?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-30-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The patch attached to that first issue should work with slight modifications if we want to keep using Qt 5.12.9 or .10.

That said, moving to Qt6 is doable any time you want. I just assumed it would be when we release a Sigil-2.0 but that could come at any time really.

If we do go with Qt6, do we stick with the last Qt 6.2.4 LTS release or go with 6.3.1 or ...
Old 06-30-2022, 01:41 PM   #7
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can duplicate this on Windows. With Preview undocked, scroll a chapter by dragging the scrollbar button (holding the left mouse-button down) and then move the mouse off of the Preview window and release the button.

It behaves as if the mouse-button is still held down, and the window will scroll whenever the mouse crosses the Preview scrollbar. This continues until the scroll-button is clicked again with mouse over it.

The same does not happen when Preview is docked (nor does it happen with other undocked Sigil widgets).
The bug seems not to be present with Sigil compiled with QT 6.3.1 (at least, I don't have that issue in Arch Linux; things work as expected).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:08 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If we do go with Qt6, do we stick with the last Qt 6.2.4 LTS release or go with 6.3.1 or ...
Since I've unsuccessfully spent the better part of week-and-a-half trying to get qtwebengine 6.3.1 to build on Windows 10 (all dependencies and versions checked, double-checked and triple-checked), I know what I'd vote for. The rest of Qt's individual 6.3.1 modules build just fine for me, but WebEngine is a no go. It almost finishes, of course. So there's the 3.5 hour wait time to see if each of my tweaks was successful or not.

But seriously, I'd rather not take time to further patch 5.12.9 unless something egregious turns up before we move to Qt6. I've changed so much on that Windows dev machine trying to get 6.3.1 webengine going that putting it back into shape for building 5.12.9 would be a chore unto itself!

As for 6.2.x LTS or 6.3.x, I don't really have a preference. But if I can get 6.3.x building, I'd just as soon start testing with it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-30-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:03 PM   #9
Vanguard3000
Zealot
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's the issue alright, though for me it happens when docked as well... unless I'm misusing the term. I've attached a screenshot just to clarify.

Anyway, it's not a killer for me, though it is irritating at times, and I often move about a file by scrolling the Preview pane and clicking the paragraph to get to it in the editor.

Thanks again for everything. Keep up the excellent work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	194666  
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That definitely looks docked. I'll have to experiment again.

Tags
bug, scrollbar