Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2022, 10:36 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
On the other hand, the 24 novels I've written -- ranging from 57,000 words to 125,000 words long -- are all a bargain, regardless of price.
Did you need to have the doors in your home widened to allow that ego to fit through?

On a more serious note, I do own your books and think they were worth the money.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:52 PM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
What a disappointing move on Kobo's part! I used that information a lot.

Especially when considering a pricy ebook, I used that information to make sure I'd be getting my money's worth; I'll make fewer such purchases now.
Feel free to let Kobo know - perhaps feedback from an author whose works they sell will cause them to reconsider. Probably not, but hope springs eternal
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #18
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Feel free to let Kobo know - perhaps feedback from an author whose works they sell will cause them to reconsider. Probably not, but hope springs eternal
Of course, I let Kobo know, and provided them (via their Beta Test slack group) with a link to the discussion here.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:11 AM   #19
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
@DNSB, well, at least I don't feel the need to hear my own voice OVER NINETEEN THOUSAND TIMES in this forum.

Oh, snap!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
@DNSB, well, at least I don't feel the need to hear my own voice OVER NINETEEN THOUSAND TIMES in this forum.

Oh, snap!
Snicker...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course, I let Kobo know, and provided them (via their Beta Test slack group) with a link to the discussion here.
Awesome, thank you!
Old 06-26-2022, 05:47 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I've noticed this in the last few days, and have confirmed that some books which WERE showing page counts and time to read a few days ago are now not showing either. It's a bit disconcerting to have no framework of comparison at all about how long a book is, does anyone know what the rationale for this change is?
I always look at page count when I buy a book (fiction or non-fiction), especially with self-published books. I don't use Kobo much for buying, but on Amazon they have quite a few "books" that are really novellas or short stories (in fiction) or 25-50 page "guides" (in non-fiction). So the page count is an important part of my buying decision. It helps me to understand what exactly I (might be) buying.

I'm wondering if maybe Kobo did this because of the way KePubs count screens as pages. Maybe people, who used very small fonts, were complaining that their "400 page book" was "only 200 pages," or something like that. I do know this makes it less likely that I will buy from Kobo in the future. Hopefully they "walk back" this decision.

EDIT: I went to eBooks.com and they don't have page numbers either. I'm pretty sure they used to have this information.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-26-2022 at 06:03 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So the page count is an important part of my buying decision. It helps me to understand what exactly I (might be) buying.
EXACTLY

Quote:
I'm wondering if maybe Kobo did this because of the way KePubs count screens as pages.
The CSR left me on hold for about 10 minutes while getting up to speed on this and when he returned, the mantra he kept repeating was a series of variations on "nobody much was using it, the new genre buttons are better" Given the priomary age demographic of ebook users I doubt there are many who found books to be half as many pages as listed. Twice as many seems more likely
Old 06-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm told this was a bug. And has been fixed. I have checked a few books in the store and on the device and the word and page counts and reading duration are shown.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #25
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm told this was a bug. And has been fixed. I have checked a few books in the store and on the device and the word and page counts and reading duration are shown.

Which is a great relief, thank you! but it makes me feel sorry for the CSR who was told otherwise and passed that incorrect information on to me.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Good to hear. Not sure how this jibes with what support was telling Uncle Robin, but it's still good news. (Although, oddly enough, the first book I checked at random (the first one on the page) still didn't have the page information, but every other book I checked did.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #27
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Good to hear. Not sure how this jibes with what support was telling Uncle Robin, but it's still good news. (Although, oddly enough, the first book I checked at random (the first one on the page) still didn't have the page information, but every other book I checked did.)
Yes, a very good outcome, but it seems that Kobo's left hand doesn't know what its right is doing if one person says "it's a feature not a bug" then someone else says "it's a bug not a feature"
Old 06-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #28
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Let’s be honest the first response is still an improvement for kobo CS from years ago
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Let’s be honest the first response is still an improvement for kobo CS from years ago
Agreed,That's why I said I felt sorry for the CSR I spoke with - he had no idea, went away and took some time to investigate, yet was supplied with bad advice to pass on. I have found a MASSIVE improvement in Kobo CS (from a subterranean starting level, ofc) since they published phone numbers. The ibtroduction of CSRs to actually TALK to seems to have coincided with/been responsible for a shift from Kobo previous default "CS" setting of "nah, go away".