Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Question Automatically capitalise the first letter of tags when downloaded as metadata?

Is it possible to automatically capitalise the first letter of tags when they are downloaded as metadata? And also automatically capitalise the first letter of any tags in general?

I thought you could do this through preferences and create rules to filter/transform tags, but not sure what to use for regex pattern.

Preferences > Create rules to filter/transform tags > add rule >

Upper-case the tag, if it does not match pattern: ?

Thanks,

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
use a pattern that matches any tag, such as

.+
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #3
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
use a pattern that matches any tag, such as

.+
Thanks for your response Kovid.

Not sure what you mean by the .+

Can I literally put the following in?

Upper-case the tag, if it matches a pattern: .+?

Thanks,

Inukami
Old 01-05-2019, 05:55 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, but note that uppercase will make the entire tag uppercase.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
Inukami
Zealot

If upper-case will make the entire tag uppercase/capital letters, what is the difference between upper-case and capitalize?

I only want the first letter of each tag to be capitalised, so the upper-case won't work for me if it capitalises the entire tag...

I suppose another option would be to Search and Replace if I want all the tags to have a capital letter on the first letter?

Thanks,

Inukami
Advert
Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

capitalise is first letter capital. Upper case is all letters capital
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
capitalise is first letter capital. Upper case is all letters capital
Thanks for that. I have capitalised and it all seems to be working except occasionally it seems to miss one. It also doesn't work with tags that are two words like Science Fiction as it only capitalises the first letter obviously.

One more question on search and replace. People have said that if you use Search and Replace, make sure you backup as you can't undo it. Why is that? Can't you just reverse the Search and Replace which would literally undo it and put it back where it originally came from?

Inukami
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
One more question on search and replace. People have said that if you use Search and Replace, make sure you backup as you can't undo it. Why is that? Can't you just reverse the Search and Replace which would literally undo it and put it back where it originally came from?
No you can't in general. For example, if you screw up and change every tag to "Fiction" then you can't restore the original by changing "Fiction" back to the many different tags that you had originally.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You want Titlecase , not Capitalize (first letter)

Also. Almost every case tools I have used (incl Calibre) wants lowercase to start with (will not lower letters if all caps)

Note: bulk use of case tools can muck up specific tags with proper names or roman numerals
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
Inukami
Zealot

jhowell and theducks, thanks for your input.

I will make sure I backup if I do any major searches and replaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You want Titlecase , not Capitalize (first letter)

Also. Almost every case tools I have used (incl Calibre) wants lowercase to start with (will not lower letters if all caps)

Note: bulk use of case tools can muck up specific tags with proper names or roman numerals
Calibre doesn't seem to have the option to Titlecase tags, but yes that would be ideal.

I haven't run into that problem yet with bulk use of case tools and don't have any roman numerals in these tags that I wanted to use titlecase for. So should be okay for now.

Usually the download feature isn't too bad for my books. It sometimes has way to many when I import though, although gives me a good idea where to start.

Inukami
Old 01-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
<snip>

Reversing regular expression S&R's isn't necessarily simple or even possible - the advice stems from users making irreversible mistakes and not having a backup - often of any kind.

IMO a casing tool should offer the following at least:

Titlecase - A star is born
Propercase - A Star is Born
Capitalcase - A Star Is Born
Lowercase - a star is born
Uppercase - A STAR IS BORN

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
jhowell and theducks, thanks for your input.

I will make sure I backup if I do any major searches and replaces.

Calibre doesn't seem to have the option to Titlecase tags, but yes that would be ideal.

I haven't run into that problem yet with bulk use of case tools and don't have any roman numerals in these tags that I wanted to use titlecase for. So should be okay for now.

Usually the download feature isn't too bad for my books. It sometimes has way to many when I import though, although gives me a good idea where to start.

Inukami
It does from inside the MDE. Find a book with a bunch of wrong case.: Open the MDE on it: Right click: Select case: save
That 1 operation affect all usage of those tags.
A bit of a PITA, but it does get the job done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It does from inside the MDE. Find a book with a bunch of wrong case.: Open the MDE on it: Right click: Select case: save
That 1 operation affect all usage of those tags.
A bit of a PITA, but it does get the job done
Maybe the case change tool could be made available in the Manage Categories edit box for Tag, Publisher, Series etc. It would facilitate doing occasional eyeball checks on all values.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-09-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, capitalise, metadata, regex, tags