Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
adonis
adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sorry, Monday was a very bad day for me.
No problem ;-)
Same here, but today I had more luck, at least I hope so.
I flashed kernel and main image this time over kindle prompt not with fastboot, now it seems to work. I restarted my kindle to test if it's auto updating itself, but it did not.

Thank you so much knc1. You helped me a lot ;-)

Last edited by adonis; 07-01-2015 at 09:35 AM.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #17
adonis
adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adonis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a summary how to solve the "BATTERY INVALID: -22" problem.

What I did:
- Overwrite the diags-images via fastboot
- Overwrite the main-images via USB

What you need:
CP2102 USB to TTL converter. I've got this one: http://www.amazon.de/USB-TTL-Konvert...FU/ref=sr_1_1?
Kindle images: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/
Fastboot for kindle:

Fastboot for kindle:
Here you'll find some instructions how to get fastboot for kindle working on Windows or OS X.

OS X: https://github.com/TobiasWooldridge/Fastboot-Kindle
Windows: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xrn3v3ln6cn2n75

Prepare your kindle:
1. Solder wires to the kindle serial pins. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=3
2. Get a CP2102 USB to TTL converter. I've got this one: http://www.amazon.de/USB-TTL-Konvert...eywords=cp2102
3. Connect the soldered wires to the CP2102
4. Plug the USB into a USB 2.0 of your computer. *Don't use USB 3.0*

Overwrite diags-images:
I don't know if this is neccessary, but if you can't get your kindle into USB-mode, you should definitely do it

1. Connect with a terminal via serial to the TTL adapter.
2. Reboot your kindle and continuously hit ESC on your keyboard until you enter uboot on your kindle.
3. In uboot run "bist fastboot" and press enter
4. In a new terminal window navigate to the fastboot-executible on your computer (OS X or Windows and run "./fastboot devices", if you don't see anything, you haven't installed fastboot correctly.
5. If you see a device you can run
Code:
./fastboot flash diags mmcblk02p.bin
./fastboot flash diags_kernel diags_kernel.bin
Overwrite main-images:
1. Establish a serial connection to your kindle, because you will need it in the last step.
2. Reboot your kindle into diags mode. There are several ways how to do this.
If you're already in fastboot you can do this on your computers terminal
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode diags
./fastboot reboot
The other is via serial in uboot.
Code:
bist
idme bootmode diags
reset
3. When your kindle boots up in diags mode, hit "U" for USB device mode. Now your kindle should show up as a USB storage.

4. Copy mmcblk01p.img and main_kernel.bin into the root folder of your kindle.
5. Now hit "D" to go to "Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags" and there hit "L" to enter the login prompt.
6. You should be able to login as "root" with "mario" as password
7. Run these commands to flash the main images

A) if the partition image is gzipped (ends with .gz):
Code:
zcat /mnt/us/mmcblk01p.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
B) if the partition image is NOT gzipped:
Code:
 dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk01p.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
8. Run these commands to flash the main kernel
A) if the kernel image is gzipped (ends with .gz):
Code:
zcat /mnt/us/kernel_main.bin.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65
B) if the kernel image is NOT gzipped:
Code:
dd if=/mnt/us/kernel_main.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65
9. Set the bootmode back to main
Code:
idme -d --bootmode main
10. Reboot your kindle
Code:
reboot
Your kindle should now be fixed and should start normally.
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #18
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
As I recall, fastboot does not report errors when flashing, even if it is a large image like mmcblk0p1. The only way to know it failed is if it reports "success" too early. We learned from experience that the large main partition needs to be written with 'dd' from diags, but even since then I have seen it done by official amazon firmware update scripts as well.

You cannot trust fastboot (at least not the kindle versions) to report errors.

Your repair instructions are pretty standard, as we described in the "simple debricking" thread, except it appears you did a serial port login from diags instead of a usbnetworking login (which required flashing a diags partition that had usbnetworking added back into it, such as the images from ixtab that are also in the kubrick distros.

Congratulations on your debricking success. I think your "battery" problem may have been due to corrupt firmware (only partly-flashed with fastboot), or other firmware corruption. The important think is that it works now...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-02-2016 at 05:54 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #19
bingofuel
bingofuel began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I did what Adonis said but now I can't enter anymore in the diags mode. The kernel hang up with

[ 2.547807] emmc: I def:mmcpartinfo:vendor=toshiba, host=mmc0:
[ 2.607084] mmc0: unrecognised EXT_CSD revision 7
[ 2.611812] mmc0: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card
[ 3.525155] KERNEL: I pmic:fg battery id check::wario_battery_valid=1

Perhaps the memory of the kindle is damaged?
bingofuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingofuel View Post
I did what Adonis said but now I can't enter anymore in the diags mode. The kernel hang up with

[ 2.547807] emmc: I def:mmcpartinfo:vendor=toshiba, host=mmc0:
[ 2.607084] mmc0: unrecognised EXT_CSD revision 7
[ 2.611812] mmc0: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card
[ 3.525155] KERNEL: I pmic:fg battery id check::wario_battery_valid=1

Perhaps the memory of the kindle is damaged?
Adonis has multiple posts in this thread - please post a link.
or at least some clue as to which post(s) you mean by: "Adonis said".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #21
bingofuel

There is only one post that give a series of instructionts that solves the problem. Since, apparently, I was not clear enough,
I am talking about the post number 17 of this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=17
Old 01-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is only one post that give a series of instructionts that solves the problem. Since, apparently, I was not clear enough,
I am talking about the post number 17 of this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=17
Not only that, but you did not post enough of the boot-time message content to make even an educated guess of the answer to your question.

The people here are pretty good at what they do, but ...
We can not see over your shoulder ...
None of us can channel into your mind ...
So we are limited to forming our answers based on what you post.

If you received an "invalid battery" message, then your battery is most likely invalid.
Put in a new, official Amazon, battery and try again.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #23
bingofuel

Of course I have bought a new battery and it didn't work. And of course I know that in this forum there are pople who knows a lot a try to help others, Adonis for example. But your superiority tone I don't think it helps.

If I am writing here and I soldered wires to the kindle in order to get serial access to the device, of course I have tried the others solutions I found online. I asked a question in order to recieve a feedback about what other information should I give.

Perhaps someone has the same problem, perhaps I made a mistake. I was asking trying to understand.

Your "what are you talking about?" and your "buy a new battery" answers look like a way to reinforce your ego in an forum, that in addition it is anonymous.

P.S.: knc1 relax. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new one. You don't have to worry anymore

Last edited by bingofuel; 01-03-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Of course I have bought a new battery and it didn't work. And of course I know that in this forum there are pople who knows a lot a try to help others, Adonis for example. But your superiority tone I don't think it helps.

If I am writing here and I soldered wires to the kindle in order to get serial access to the device, of course I have tried the others solutions I found online. I asked a question in order to recieve a feedback about what other information should I give.

Perhaps someone has the same problem, perhaps I made a mistake. I was asking trying to understand.

Your "what are you talking about?" and your "buy a new battery" answers look like a way to reinforce your ego in an forum, that in addition it is anonymous.

P.S.: knc1 relax. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new one. You don't have to worry anymore
Please do not tell knc1 to relax. That gets my blood pressure up.
In your first post, you did not give anything other than invalid battery and someone said.
Without a link how am I supposed to know what the heck you are talking about.
Why should I take my unpaid time to look up every one of someone's posts because you need help?
This is a development forum. This means we don't have the time to try and figure out what you did or didn't do. Next time you need help in any development forum, give complete steps to what you did.
Oh and by the way on a battery if you connect it backwards, it makes a pretty arc.

We are not mind readers nor can we see into your device.

Note knc1 has been working on electronics since before man landed on the moon.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Who? What? Me Worry?
You have mistaken me for someone else.

And yes IzzyBird it is less than 600x600
@cinisajoy: As long as GM has built Corvettes (introduced: Jan 17, 1953).

In March, President Eisenhower offered increased aid in Vietnam to France.
Those recognizing the 50th anniversary of the Tet Offensive this month know how that worked out.
(Yes, I was there at the time.)

Last edited by knc1; 01-03-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #26
adonis

Hey guys... just got a notification email on the threads revival

First of all I'd like to say that the biggest mistake one can make on this forum is to tell *knc1* to calm himself down.

Since this thread has only 2 pages and most of the debugging stuff is discussed on the first page, one can clearly see, that without knc1's help I wouldn't have gotten very far.

I basically provided him with as much information as he needed to help me. At the end I wrote a summary that worked for me, hoping that it's going to help everyone else having the same problem.

Secondly, and back to the problem. Unfortunately, I'm not that experienced to provide help here. But from a beginners point of view, I can provide two very important suggestions here:

1. Focus: Read instructions carefully word by word. If something in an instruction is not clear - feel free to ask
2. Repeat: Don't assume, if you follow instructions, that it's gonna work for the first time. Even if you're sure, that you followed them correctly. There's always a chance that you missed something. Try again, and again... and every time with more and more focus on the instructions
3. Trial & Error: feel free to try out some logical steps, even if they're not provided in the instructions. Re-plug the device, Re-start it in between of steps ... etc.

If you're 100% sure that you did exactly what was provided and it doesn't work as expected, feel free to ask. Tell the community exactly where your problem is. I know it's hard, because the one who asks often assumes that the others who help know what one is talking about. But it's never like that.

PS: I ended up throwing the broken kindle into my spare-parts storage and bought a new one. But I still had fun fiddling around :P

Cheers,
Adis

Last edited by adonis; 01-05-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #27
javimixet
javimixet began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
Revived

Wow!!! Thank you very much!!!!
It is ALIVE!!!!

Bought a used Paperwhite for 50€ with loose charging port. Charged it, connected to wifi to download my kindle books (I think it made an automatic update) turn it off and tear it apart to see what the problem was with the micro-usb. It was rusty inside, maybe put by error in washing machine. Usb pins was rusty and with a whiteish, don't know if soap of some kind of rust, matter. Cleaned it with soft brush and tested the pins, +5 was failing. Resoldered it and turned on: BATTERY INVALID: -22

Turned out I had some problems with fastboot because the +5 was not properly soldered. Once this was done the instructions in this thread went smooth as silk... even with the name and extension of the downloaded images varying a bit.

So, don't know if it was the usb problem or the update that caused the mess... reading *adonis* seems the update is the culprit. And I understand that I have to do nothing else to avoid autoupdating. Is that correct?

Thanks, thanks, THANKS!!!
javimixet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #28
stmusic
Enthusiast
stmusic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
I wipe off boot for kindle pw 3, on putty menu u put to format memory (options 1 or 2 not remember) how to back boot ?

Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Oct 24 2017 - 12:16:03)

CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996 MHz
Temperature:   39 C, calibration data 0x57a5025f
mx6sl pll1: 996MHz
mx6sl pll2: 528MHz
mx6sl pll3: 480MHz
mx6sl pll8: 50MHz
ipg clock     : 66000000Hz
ipg per clock : 66000000Hz
uart clock    : 80000000Hz
cspi clock    : 60000000Hz
ahb clock     : 132000000Hz
axi clock   : 198000000Hz
emi_slow clock: 22000000Hz
ddr clock     : 396000000Hz
usdhc1 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc2 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc3 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc4 clock  : 198000000Hz
MMC:  FSL_ESDHC: 0,FSL_ESDHC: 1,FSL_ESDHC: 2
Board: Muscat WFO
Boot Reason: [ POR ]
Boot Device: NAND
Board Id: 0670209152240419
S/N: G090G105522507V5
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Quick Memory Test 0x80000000, 0x1fff0000
POST done in 111 ms
BOOTMODE OVERRIDE: DIAGS
Battery voltage: 3778 mV

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >
stmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Please do not double post.
Read my reply in the other thread you posted this question too.

Best that you start your own thread for your PW3 problems, rather than post in threads marked PW2.

Last edited by knc1; 05-03-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Tags
kindle, paperwhite, repair, screen