Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #76
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I tried KOReader in the past without any luck. I now can execute it on my Samsung Tab S 8.4 with Android 4.4.2. I am using the current stable version 2015-11-3.

But I can't figure out how to get the menus. It's pretty standard now to tap the middle of the screen in reading apps but that doesn’t work here. I can long press the recent apps button to get to the top menu, but how do I get to the bottom menu? I guess that's where a lot of settings are because the top menu doesn't have much. I do have Show advanced options checked, but that didn't seem to change much.
All the menus are accessed by poking at the top of the screen.

There is no bottom menu for the File Manager.

The menus available while reading a book/document are somewhat context sensitive, in that they can depend on the type of book/document you are reading. In any case they are opened by poking at the top of the screen. Depending on the tab/icon in focus at the top menu, a bottom menu will also appear.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-03-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #77
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
All the menus are accessed by poking at the top of the screen.

There is no bottom menu for the File Manager.

The menus available while reading a book/document are somewhat context sensitive, in that they can depend on the type of book/document you are reading. In any case they are opened by poking at the top of the screen. Depending on the tab/icon in focus at the top menu, a bottom menu will also appear.

Luck;
Ken
Thanks. I can now change the font size! I am trying this using epub.

Where are the advanced settings? I checked Show advanced options but I don't see anything different anywhere.

How are the status bar settings supposed to work? I tried deselecting all and selecting one by one and the only ones I see are the progress bar and current page / total pages. I tried with both mini and full progess bar. It looks like what I want is available, but not working. I want time, battery, and pages left in chapter.

Is there a way to change justification? I see epub.css as a choice in one of the menus, but nothing happens when I choose it.

Is there documentation anywhere? I checked the wiki at github but didn't see much that was helpful.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #78
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. I can now change the font size! I am trying this using epub.

Where are the advanced settings? I checked Show advanced options but I don't see anything different anywhere.

How are the status bar settings supposed to work? I tried deselecting all and selecting one by one and the only ones I see are the progress bar and current page / total pages. I tried with both mini and full progess bar. It looks like what I want is available, but not working. I want time, battery, and pages left in chapter.

Is there a way to change justification? I see epub.css as a choice in one of the menus, but nothing happens when I choose it.

Is there documentation anywhere? I checked the wiki at github but didn't see much that was helpful.
"Advanced settings" are those in .adds>koreader>defaults.lua. To adjust them from your device; you set the checkmark on "Show advanced options" in the reader top menu gear tab/icon. Then you can go to the File Manager menu and the screwdriver/wrench tab/icon "Advanced settings", this will popup a warning message window. Selecting OK will give you a listing of the Default settings. Poking the UPPERCASE_NAMES will give you a message window and keyboard to make changes. But if you open the defaults.lua file in "Notepad++", there are many green comments that help explain the settings. I much prefer to make any changes that way.

The progress bar works the way you tried and poking the right end of the mini-bar toggles through the things you checked, when "Show all at once" is not checked.

There are a few factors that can effect justification, some of them can be adjusted in the menus. For some you may have to turn Embedded Styles off. The "Hyphenation" settings can also have an effect, as I understand it.

I am planning some improvement to the Github koreader WiKi, but haven't found a format/structure that might be better.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #79
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Advanced settings" are those in .adds>koreader>defaults.lua. To adjust them from your device; you set the checkmark on "Show advanced options" in the reader top menu gear tab/icon. Then you can go to the File Manager menu and the screwdriver/wrench tab/icon "Advanced settings", this will popup a warning message window. Selecting OK will give you a listing of the Default settings. Poking the UPPERCASE_NAMES will give you a message window and keyboard to make changes. But if you open the defaults.lua file in "Notepad++", there are many green comments that help explain the settings. I much prefer to make any changes that way.

The progress bar works the way you tried and poking the right end of the mini-bar toggles through the things you checked, when "Show all at once" is not checked.

There are a few factors that can effect justification, some of them can be adjusted in the menus. For some you may have to turn Embedded Styles off. The "Hyphenation" settings can also have an effect, as I understand it.

I am planning some improvement to the Github koreader WiKi, but haven't found a format/structure that might be better.

Luck;
Ken
There is no file defaults.lua. I looked in the koreader folder, the Android folder, and even looked in the data/data folder in the root directory. I found file settings.reader.lua, but that only has the options you can find in the menu. I went to the file manager to get to advanced options - very strange place to put options that work when reading. I found a justification setting set to 3. I figured I would just change it and see what happens and saw no difference. And now I can't change it to any other number because no numbers show on the keyboard anymore! It seems that after you edit something the keyboard changes for that setting. I still see numbers in the keyboard for other settings that haven't been edited.

The progress bar only shows what you want if you check "Show all at once". You even need to check "Show all at once" to get it to show the one and only choice you make.

How is the epub.css option under set render style supposed to work? I tap it and nothing happens.

It's not the format of the wiki that is the problem, it's the lack of information.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #80
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
There is no file defaults.lua. I looked in the koreader folder, the Android folder, and even looked in the data/data folder in the root directory. I found file settings.reader.lua, but that only has the options you can find in the menu. I went to the file manager to get to advanced options - very strange place to put options that work when reading. I found a justification setting set to 3. I figured I would just change it and see what happens and saw no difference. And now I can't change it to any other number because no numbers show on the keyboard anymore! It seems that after you edit something the keyboard changes for that setting. I still see numbers in the keyboard for other settings that haven't been edited.

The progress bar only shows what you want if you check "Show all at once". You even need to check "Show all at once" to get it to show the one and only choice you make.

How is the epub.css option under set render style supposed to work? I tap it and nothing happens.

It's not the format of the wiki that is the problem, it's the lack of information.
Sorry about the defaults.lua file editing, I forgot that this is the Android version. So the comment lines are not available.

In the Advanced Settings "DKOPTREADER" is for the PDF reader software and "DCREREADER" is for the cr3 engine reader used for epubs and many others.

The numbers on that keyboard are located at Sym>uppercase.

With the Status bar not in "Show all at once", poking what ever you have set at the right end of the progress bar, will bring up the next thing you have checked, you can step through all those you have checked and also dismiss the mini-progress bar altogether. It is showing you the things you selected, just not "all at once".

If you have embedded styles off or you use "clear all external styles" then the css in the epub won't override the settings you make on the device.

Also, remember you may need to restart KOReader for some of the settings to take effect.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-04-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Advert
Old 01-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #81
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry about the defaults.lua file editing, I forgot that this is the Android version. So the comment lines are not available.

In the Advanced Settings "DKOPTREADER" is for the PDF reader software and "DCREREADER" is for the cr3 engine reader used for epubs and many others.

The numbers on that keyboard are located at Sym>uppercase.

With the Status bar not in "Show all at once", poking what ever you have set at the right end of the progress bar, will bring up the next thing you have checked, you can step through all those you have checked and also dismiss the mini-progress bar altogether. It is showing you the things you selected, just not "all at once".

If you have embedded styles off or you use "clear all external styles" then the css in the epub won't override the settings you make on the device.

Also, remember you may need to restart KOReader for some of the settings to take effect.

Luck;
Ken
I'm just going to forget about KOReader. I tried the android version before and it was horrible and barely executed. It seems it's better than it was, but still not ready for prime time. Or maybe just too weird for me. Kind of like Pocketbook reader which has very weird settings, but at least when you find the settings it works and stays that way.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #82
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
I'm just going to forget about KOReader. I tried the android version before and it was horrible and barely executed. It seems it's better than it was, but still not ready for prime time. Or maybe just too weird for me. Kind of like Pocketbook reader which has very weird settings, but at least when you find the settings it works and stays that way.
That is fine, there are plenty of other Android ereading apps, I hope you find one you like.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-07-2016, 02:07 AM   #83
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
That is fine, there are plenty of other Android ereading apps, I hope you find one you like.

Luck;
Ken

Hi

Are there efforts about making custom profiles for each eink Androod models? What about some collaboration between manufactures like Onyx?

Kind regards.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #84
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
Hi

Are there efforts about making custom profiles for each eink Androod models? What about some collaboration between manufactures like Onyx?

Kind regards.
Not that I know of. But it will be something nice to have. I still consider KOReader on android alpha at this point though :P
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #85
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
I just tried KOReader on my Sony PRS-T1 which is running android 2.2.1. Unfortunately, it didn't install. I got a parsing error. Is KOReader compatible with android 2.2.1 ?
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #86
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Unfortunately the lowest version supported is Android 2.3.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #87
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
Can KOReader for Android be sideloaded on my Fire HDX8.9?
Or would I have to root it?
If I root it, will the native apps still run?

I would like to try KOReader to sync reading positions between my phone, the Fire and my soon-to-arrive Kobo H2O, and maybe my K3 (I saw a mention somewhere that KOReader for Kindle now runs on non-touch Kindles) and I'm just trying to work out how much rooting I need to do, and what I will lose, if anything. Hope this is the right place to ask.

Liz
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #88
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizj1 View Post
Can KOReader for Android be sideloaded on my Fire HDX8.9?
Or would I have to root it?
If I root it, will the native apps still run?

I would like to try KOReader to sync reading positions between my phone, the Fire and my soon-to-arrive Kobo H2O, and maybe my K3 (I saw a mention somewhere that KOReader for Kindle now runs on non-touch Kindles) and I'm just trying to work out how much rooting I need to do, and what I will lose, if anything. Hope this is the right place to ask.

Liz
If you add the .apk file to your device, you should be able to see if you are offered the option to verify & install the .apk. If it installs and works it is just another app on your Android device. Why would you expect to lose anything when you add an app?

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #89
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
Thanks Ken. Just wasn't sure it could be sideloaded. I'll give it ago

Liz
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #90
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Is here anyone with Nook Glowlight Plus?
Is the latest nightly build of KOreader working properly?

Last edited by mergen3107; 05-09-2016 at 10:05 AM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote