Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #31
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Have not had the chance to use it much, but the beta seems to work adequately under Windows 8 preview.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #32
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Installing from source (Linux)

I'd like to test the 0.6 beta. I use Debian with Gnome.

I read I first have to install Qt4.(Ubuntu should have about the same packages names even if I know I should not mix them).
Three years ago, I compiled a Sigil deb package using these four dependencies:
"libqt4-gui,libqt4-svg,libqt4-webkit,libqt4-xml"

Are there many others recommended packages to install for Qt4?

Are there some recommendations for dictionnaries?
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Would there be any point to change the installer to NOT offer the association of TXT files with Sigil?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Would there be any point to change the installer to NOT offer the association of TXT files with Sigil?
I don't have any "irons in that particular fire" (as I never blindly accept installation defaults, anyway), but I have to admit I'm a tad curious as to how many people there are out there who would truly prefer that Sigil be the default application associated with TXT files. *shrugs*
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #35
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't have any "irons in that particular fire" (as I never blindly accept installation defaults, anyway), but I have to admit I'm a tad curious as to how many people there are out there who would truly prefer that Sigil be the default application associated with TXT files. *shrugs*
Agreed, especially as you can't save it as TXT after editing it.
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #36
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Installing from source (Linux)

I'd like to test the 0.6 beta. I use Debian with Gnome.

I read I first have to install Qt4.(Ubuntu should have about the same packages names even if I know I should not mix them).
Three years ago, I compiled a Sigil deb package using these four dependencies:
"libqt4-gui,libqt4-svg,libqt4-webkit,libqt4-xml"

Are there many others recommended packages to install for Qt4?

Are there some recommendations for dictionnaries?
Try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake libqt4-dev
and then follow the make instructions in the Running From Source wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Seeing as how .txt imports may be removed soon, it seems reasonable to stop offering to associate .txt files.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

libqt4-dev does pick up the vast majority of deps needed (besides the build/make tools). I seem to recall there might have been one package I had to install separately (on Ubuntu), but I can't, for the life of me, remember which one.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your informations.
Indeed libqt4-dev installs about the whole world.

So I produced a deb amd64 package using checkinstall. It's working and installed on /usr/local/bin/sigil.

There are some display problems I noticed between beta version and current version (0.5.3).

- I opened the user guide epub. The cover image is not displayed. The same for another epub of mine with a svg container. Looks like it does like svg containers. Both svg are correctly displayed using current version.
Note: libqt4-svg is installed.

- Opening the chapters of the guide, I found inline sgc styles. Current version does not have these sgc styles. See joint images:

- Opening an ebook of mine, the dropcaps are badly displayed. They are OK with current version (and ADE). This book.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41#post2109041

I do not know if these display problems are coming from my building from source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sgc.png
Views:	203
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	87527   Click image for larger version

Name:	sgc2.png
Views:	218
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	87528   Click image for larger version

Name:	sgc3.png
Views:	209
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	87529  

Last edited by roger64; 06-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So I produced a deb amd64 package using checkinstall.
That's exactly how I do it.

Quote:
- Opening an ebook of mine, the dropcaps are badly displayed. They are OK with current version (and ADE). This book.

I do not know if these display problems are coming from my building from source.
I don't think it's from building from source. Some of my dropcaps/floats don't display very prettily (vertical alignment, mainly) in Book View either. But to be perfectly honest, Sigil's Book View hasn't ever really displayed my dropcaps (or a lot of other css stuff) exactly like ADE does. I only use bookview to determine if stuff's working at all. I rely on ADE or devices to fine-tune exactly how it renders. *shrugs*
Old 06-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #40
roger64
Wizard

This is what I mean about dropcaps. Lower down is the difference of display between current and beta.

EDIT Found the reason: On beta version, I left Tidy on. Tidy does not like my dropcaps and decided to put their code in order... On current version, Tidy is off. Sorry for this...

However, the creation of the unwanted inline styles shown above is not due to a Tidy'mischievous action because they stay put even when Tidy is turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dropcap1.png
Views:	208
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	87532   Click image for larger version

Name:	dropcap2.png
Views:	200
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	87533  

Last edited by roger64; 06-10-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I just don't focus on the limitations of Book View. I know a lot of people rely on it for different things, but I know it's just not an accurate renderer of ePubs (accurate as in "renders like devices/apps using Adobe's RMSDK"). So because of that, I just can't bring myself to care much about degrees of inaccuracy. I realize others' mileage will vary, though.

Anyway... bowing out for now, since this thread is FOR things people might find wrong.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #42
roger64
Wizard

sent MP

Last edited by roger64; 06-10-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #43
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Indeed libqt4-dev installs about the whole world.

So I produced a deb amd64 package using checkinstall. It's working and installed on /usr/local/bin/sigil.
Great.

Quote:
- I opened the user guide epub. The cover image is not displayed. The same for another epub of mine with a svg container. Looks like it does like svg containers. Both svg are correctly displayed using current version.
Note: libqt4-svg is installed.
SGC images are not displayed in Book View - as mentioned in my first post this is a known issue, but not solved yet.

Quote:

Quote:
EDIT Found the reason: On beta version, I left Tidy on. Tidy does not like my dropcaps and decided to put their code in order... On current version, Tidy is off. Sorry for this...
Even if the issue wasn't caused by Tidy, as DiapDealer said, Book View is only an approximation of what your book will look like. It will never be exactly the same as every ereader.

When starting Sigil for the first time you must set the Edit->Clean Source Tidy options to what you want then exit and restart Sigil.

Quote:

- Opening the chapters of the guide, I found inline sgc styles. Current version does not have these sgc styles. See joint images:
Quote:
However, the creation of the unwanted inline styles shown above is not due to a Tidy'mischievous action because they stay put even when Tidy is turned off.
Quote:
sent MP
For those wondering, the PM was about   entries in the Guide. Both the sgc and   in the current version of the Guide are there because I made some quick edits in Book View before posting without doing a full check of the code again. Obviously these aren't really an issue for readers but in editor mode they are annoying. I'll correct them in the next version of the Guide, but it's useful for you to know why they're there.

If you edit in Book View to change a word or character and use spacing, sometimes Book View will insert an &nbsp; character, especially if its near a tag. In fact it does this quite a lot, as well as putting <p>&nbsp;</p> at the end of documents you edit. If this bothers you, don't edit in Book View after you do your final check for extra code...

The sgc inline styles are put there because Tidy was turned on while I did some edits. (Happens a lot while testing removing the .ini file to test initial startup). Once the inline styles are there, they do not get removed automatically - you have to manually convert them. They don't have to be removed, but I prefer not to have them.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #44
roger64
Wizard

1. - sgc styles
Thanks a lot for your explanations. I am still puzzled as to why, with your user guide in Code view:
- the current version displays no sgc style.
- the beta version consistently displays some of them.
As for example, in the "splitting and merging.xhtml" chapter.

2. - About images.
I greatly admire your very tight and efficient image code. I did notice the use throughout of png images which must do help them scale so well. Maybe you could have commented this choice?

3. - Producing a style sheet.
I wonder how to produce such a nice alphabetically ordered and clean style sheet like yours. I guess it's not done by hand, which tool do you use for it?

Last edited by roger64; 06-10-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #45
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
1. - sgc styles
Thanks a lot for your explanations. I am still puzzled as to why, with your user guide in Code view:
- the current version displays no sgc style.
- the beta version consistently displays some of them.
As for example, in the "splitting and merging.xhtml" chapter.
I don't see any sgc styles in the document. Make sure you turn Tidy to Pretty Print and restart Sigil
before opening the epub, and if you've saved it, redownload the file. In the beta I only see the sgc styles if I have Tidy on and open the epub. I haven't checked the earlier code.

Quote:
2. - About images.
I greatly admire your very tight and efficient image code. I did notice the use throughout of png images which must do help them scale so well. Maybe you could have commented this choice?
png is the default screen capture format in Ubuntu As to the code for images, it was just what I saw somewhere and it seems to work ok. That doesn't mean it'll work everywhere, so if there is a more universal approach I'll switch.

Quote:
3. - Producing a style sheet.
I wonder how to produce such a nice alphabetically ordered and clean style sheet like yours. I guess it's not done by hand, which tool do you use for it?
Entirely manually, and gradually building up by adding, and removing, as needed.
Closed Thread