Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
maximus83
Nameless Being

Is there a way to sync Kobo reading data with any other ereader

Is there a way to sync reading data (like position, notes, highlights) on a Kobo device with other ereader software, such as Android apps like Moon+ Pro?

I suspect the answer is no, but thought I'd ask. It's kind of a bummer with all the push to open source and common data formats and protocols, that we don't yet have a standard way for ereaders to implement reading data, so that it can be shared easily cross-app.

Assuming the answer is no, what workarounds have folks been using for this? Do you just skip taking notes on your Kobo device in favor of an Android app like Moon or FB that can store reading data in the cloud? If you use the Kobo, then what about books that you sideloaded to the Kobo that are not in the Kobo store, how do you preserve the reading data on those outside of your device?

The only workaround I know and have actually used:
* Manage all my original ebooks files from all sources in calibre, add metadata, etc.
* Push epub versions of all ebooks to the Google play bookstore, and the Google play reading app (imperfect as it is) lets me keep notes, highlights, and reading positions on all of them.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
As you suspected, the answer is no.

It's in the EPUB 3 specification, though. Alas, most still use EPUB 2.
http://www.idpf.org/epub/linking/cfi/epub-cfi.html

I use Marvin for iOS when I need annotations. Well, I'd highlight on whatever device I'm already reading on but I would manually copy highlights to Marvin later. Thankfully, I don't highlight often and I don't write notes. Typing's a major hassle on e-ink anyway.

On Marvin, I can export annotations to EPUB, CSV, HTML and PDF. I can also access Marvin's database directly (via backup export).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
P.S.

I just started messing around with KOReader. I've only installed on my Kindles thus far but it's got Kobo and Android versions as well. Would be interesting to see what options are available for and how well it handles cross platform syncing.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
maximus83
Nameless Being

Thanks for the tip on KOReader. That looks promising (although features list says it doesn't support notes, yet) as the kind of open-source app I was thinking about. If they can add notes support, theoretically you could run this on Kobo and Android devices and sync your reading data to some external shared location like Onedrive, Dropbox, or Gdrive.

ETA: Would also be cool if it implemented PC/Mac or better yet, web access mode for universal access. I just installed KOReader as well, it is cool but it is struggling with extremely slow performance on some larger epub files.

Last edited by maximus83; 01-22-2019 at 02:02 PM.