Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-21-2023, 06:51 AM   #2011
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I discovered a PDF (version 9 acrobat?) that wouldn't work properly in the Kobo Sage or Kobo Elipsa Crop. Also on Kobo you could only change page using the naviagtion slider, neither tap, swipe or buttons would change page. Actual text, so I might convert to epub if I can export it sensibly. It does import to LO Draw, but using that to format other than paper size or margins is tedious.

Anyhow, cropping it before importing to Calibre sorted it, though it got a little larger. After crop you could page through it.

It's not OCR text, but just text. A copy and paste in any desktop program does give the text in the right order, but each line break in PDF is a new line and so it can't be reflowed, the paragraph breaks same as newlines.

Can K2pdfopt export the text with only newline at paragraphs rather than the end of every line in the PDF? It's not an OCR layer, but only text.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-21-2023 at 06:53 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:04 PM   #2012
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Adding asciidoc or markdown markup should be almost trivial. Then newlines are ignored except for empty lines, which indicate a new paragraph.

Extremely long lines are editor unfriendly and are annoying, so I actually prefer text exports that haven't stripped newlines.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2023, 04:15 PM   #2013
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The information I get about a PDF file from the muPDF library is simply a list of characters and what their X,Y positions on the page are. There is no information to indicate either new-line or a paragraph--you have to infer this solely from the character positions, so I'd have to deduce from the line spacings or indentation if a paragraph was indended, which will be quite error prone. It's probably easier to hand edit the unicode text out of k2pdfopt (-ocrout option).
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:47 AM   #2014
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Paragraphs have either more indent or more space or start with a bolded word (all caps too usually) or are numbered list items. Only the ALL CAPS and list numbers survive text copy.

Rats. PDFs are evil to do anything with except print or read on a giant screen
Old 02-22-2023, 10:09 AM   #2015
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Actually the k2pdfout with -ocrout option put two newlines at paragraph breaks, but I'd only got one with a copy/paste.

So replaced all \n\n with ¬
replaced all \n with a "space"
replaced ¬ with \n

(But I wasn't using Windows notepad )

Now only needs a day's work to make into an epub. Almost looks sane in LO Writer.
Advert
Old 02-22-2023, 11:11 AM   #2016
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

First pass edit done, now proof later as an epub and edit back annotations.
Thanks, @willus.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:38 PM   #2017
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
First pass edit done, now proof later as an epub and edit back annotations.
Thanks, @willus.
Glad you had some success.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:30 PM   #2018
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Only 20 minutes ago finished major edit/format/style in LO Writer and conversion of extra docx save in Calibre to epub2.

Still, beats typing it up from looking at the paperback!
Old 03-06-2023, 11:58 AM   #2019
bamboohouses
bamboohouses began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis
I'm having problems downloading and installing k2pdfopt. I'm using a mac but the download always stalls, I click re-load and it downloads but when I install it I get the following:
Last login: Mon Mar 6 16:54:47 on ttys000
Davids-MacBook-Air:~ david$ /Users/david/Desktop/k2pdfopt ; exit;
/Users/david/Desktop/k2pdfopt: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
/Users/david/Desktop/k2pdfopt: line 1: `<html><head><title>Willus.com's K2pdfopt Download Page</title>'
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Any suggestions?
bamboohouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:51 AM   #2020
bamboohouses

I am wondering if k2pdfopt isn't downloading properly as I have to reload it or whether it isn't running correctly. I'm not sure what the syntax error near the unexpected token ' <' meant and how I could correct it?

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions or advice as k2pdfopt looks exactly what I'm looking for and there doesn't seem to be anything better as far as I can find.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:07 AM   #2021
taddymack
taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You're downloading a source code of the download page, not the program.
The first line of the source page reads:
<html><head><title>Willus.com's K2pdfopt Download Page</title>
Fill in the captcha and click on the relevant software (v2.54 mac OSX x86 64-bit ?).
taddymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #2022
bamboohouses

Thanks for explaining that. One step closer! However I am clicking on the relevant software and that what is downloading so I'm not quite sure what is going on. Very frustrating.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:09 PM   #2023
taddymack
taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It seems you have to right click on the rectangle (e.g. Mac OSX...) or control-click (when on Mac) on the rectangle and then select Save as... which saves the page, not the program.
Or try a different browser or wait till Willus responds.
taddymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:26 PM   #2024
bamboohouses

Great! Good idea - I think a different browser might be better. I was wondering if perhaps the captcha is timing out before the download has fully completed? I'll try your suggestions - Thanks.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:16 PM   #2025
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Maybe the video on the mac help page will help?

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools