Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #1981
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by taddymack View Post
I downloaded x86 64-bit 2.53 version and while running from terminal I get segmentation fault.
I remember some time ago there was no problem with a previous macOS version. Has somebody tried successfully this macOS?
I just updated to Ventura and had no issues running the latest binary downloaded directly from the web site on my Mac mini. Definitely no segmentation fault.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:36 AM   #1982
bigmonty
bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I am trying to convert a chapter of a statistics book in kobo mini profile. The profile suits nicely with my mobile phone screen. The command I used is following :

k2pdfopt Chapter17-Statistics-AZW.pdf -dev kbm -odpi 250 -om .1 -o ch17-asw-mob.pdf

There are quite a few text on right and left margin and also in the footer. While the figure remains intact the table is totally messed up, same with main contents mostly. The actual file is available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N4f...YPJKjnYnnIgqj/
bigmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 11:34 AM   #1983
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmonty View Post
I am trying to convert a chapter of a statistics book in kobo mini profile. The profile suits nicely with my mobile phone screen. The command I used is following :

k2pdfopt Chapter17-Statistics-AZW.pdf -dev kbm -odpi 250 -om .1 -o ch17-asw-mob.pdf

There are quite a few text on right and left margin and also in the footer. While the figure remains intact the table is totally messed up, same with main contents mostly. The actual file is available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N4f...YPJKjnYnnIgqj/
Try adding -nl to tell k2pdfopt your document has notes in the left margin. I tried this and it seemed to work pretty well on some sample pages. You can do just a few test pages with the -p option to try it out. Also you might want to add -sm so you can see how your source doc is getting parsed. Finally, you can mark regions you don't want messed up with boxes. See this page. Full list of k2pdfopt options is here.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:40 AM   #1984
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.54 released

K2pdfopt v2.54 is released.
There is no update to the k2pdfopt source code in this release--only to the libraries--notably Tesseract v5.3.0 which improves the OCR speed. This version is also compiled with the latest gcc compiler, v12.2. See details at the web site.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:47 PM   #1985
Kanishkh
Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Kanishkh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Mac
Multiple Files in mac

How do I process multiple files in a Mac if I am using the latest version on Terminal GUI?

Thank you
Kanishkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2023, 09:17 AM   #1986
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

There are a couple of ways to process multiple PDFs from the Terminal "menu." The easiest is to drag one PDF over to the terminal window. The full path name to the PDF will appear at the prompt, e.g.

/Users/YourName/Desktop/yourfile.pdf

Then click into the terminal window so you can type in it and erase the "yourfile.pdf" and replace it with a wildcard, like *.pdf:

/Users/YourName/Desktop/*.pdf

It will then process all .pdf files in the same folder as the orifinal file. Another way to process multiple files is to drag each file one by one to the terminal window, pressing Enter after you drag each one. It's more tedious but it will work. Unfortunately you cannot drag multiple files at the same time.

Finally, you can drag a folder to the file, and the folder name will appear, e.g.

/Users/YourName/Desktop/YourFolder

...but then you have to add a slash and the wildcard again, like so:

/Users/YourName/Desktop/YourFolder/*.pdf

(be sure not to leave a space between the / and the *.pdf)
Old 01-21-2023, 03:33 AM   #1987
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Amazon Kindle basic
Hello and greetings to all!My aunt just gifted me an amazon kindle basic 3 10th gen (2019).I just want to read some pdf's.Can someone please suggest me the identical settings for this model?I just want a view to fullfill my small screen without blank areas at the sides/bottom/up and no blank areas between sentences.I just want to benefit as possible the small screen!Thanks in advance!!
kos25k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:12 AM   #1988
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Find out resolution of screen of your device. Than...

In command line menu (terminal window) add these numbers.

-w (your device width)
-h (your device height)
-dpi 150 (for example)

Example:

k2pdfopt -w 600 -h 800 -dpi 150 name_of_your_file.pdf

If you are using GUI version of app, than make sure that this
crucial data is entered into gui of application.
I think that gui version allready has your device in settings.
I am using terminal version (on Debian Linux x64).

You can find many information on all available commands in web link
https://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/options.shtml

If you need more data, you can sand me private message. Greetings!

Last edited by VladimirS; 01-21-2023 at 05:28 AM.
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #1989
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Thank you, VladimirS. From what I can find about the 10th gen kindle, it is the same resolution as the original, so try using the -dev k2 option with k2pdfopt from the command line or select "Kindle 1-5" in the device menu in the Windows GUI. Contrary to the what the command-line help says, the default device setting is 300 dpi for the kindle paperwhite 3 / voyage / oasis). To see all built-in devices, run "k2pdfopt -dev ?" or pull down the device menu in the Windows gui. Beyond that, it depends on what you are converting. Most typical book format documents will do well with the k2pdfopt defaults. If you have a few minutes, try watching the video on this help page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2screenshot.png
Views:	75
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	199171  
Old 01-24-2023, 08:55 AM   #1990
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirS View Post
Find out resolution of screen of your device. Than...

In command line menu (terminal window) add these numbers.

-w (your device width)
-h (your device height)
-dpi 150 (for example)

Example:

k2pdfopt -w 600 -h 800 -dpi 150 name_of_your_file.pdf

If you are using GUI version of app, than make sure that this
crucial data is entered into gui of application.
I think that gui version allready has your device in settings.
I am using terminal version (on Debian Linux x64).

You can find many information on all available commands in web link
https://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/options.shtml

If you need more data, you can sand me private message. Greetings!
Really thank you,i appreciate the help!Your fantastic app has waaay more good results from another 3rd party known app!I set the correct dimensions & ppi to k2pdfopt but,if u compare the preview and the final result,you can see that some words & sentenses are missing and moved to another page.Is it somehow possible the preview to be exact the same to my kindle?Also the final limit on preview window is when the white colour ends or the grey colour?Cause i want to benefit whole screen!!
Old 01-24-2023, 09:35 AM   #1991
taddymack
taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libra 2
cropping bitmaps & ocr

When in native mode, is it possible to crop both the bitmaps and ocr text layer?

As with this command:
k2pdfopt -mb 0.4 -bp -n -wrap- -col 1 -vb -2 -t -ls- mymodelfile.pdf

I want to get rid of pagination also in a text layer. The original ocr gives me better text than -ocr option in k2pdfopt so would like to preserve it.

If not, I will try to do it when outputing the text with pdftotext program and its x,y,W,H crop options.
taddymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:44 PM   #1992
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos25k View Post
Really thank you,i appreciate the help!Your fantastic app has waaay more good results from another 3rd party known app!I set the correct dimensions & ppi to k2pdfopt but,if u compare the preview and the final result,you can see that some words & sentenses are missing and moved to another page.Is it somehow possible the preview to be exact the same to my kindle?Also the final limit on preview window is when the white colour ends or the grey colour?Cause i want to benefit whole screen!!
How does the PDF file created by k2pdfopt look on your PC when you view it with a PDF reader? Does it match the k2pdfopt preview? It should. How it looks on your kindle will depend on what app you are using to display it and what settings you have applied in that app. The last time I used a kindle was about a decade ago, so I'm not sure what settings there are now. Can you tell the reader to fit each PDF page to the screen?
Old 01-25-2023, 10:53 PM   #1993
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddymack View Post
When in native mode, is it possible to crop both the bitmaps and ocr text layer?

As with this command:
k2pdfopt -mb 0.4 -bp -n -wrap- -col 1 -vb -2 -t -ls- mymodelfile.pdf

I want to get rid of pagination also in a text layer. The original ocr gives me better text than -ocr option in k2pdfopt so would like to preserve it.

If not, I will try to do it when outputing the text with pdftotext program and its x,y,W,H crop options.
Since it's already bitmapped, try turning off native mode output (don't use -n). If you don't like that result, try adding -ppgs to the command line as suggested on my FAQ page (search for -ppgs). Let me know if any of this works. If you'd like to PM me the source PDF I can try some more options.

Last edited by willus; 01-25-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:29 AM   #1994
taddymack
taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Since it's already bitmapped, try turning off native mode output (don't use -n). If you don't like that result, try adding -ppgs to the command line as suggested on my FAQ page (search for -ppgs). Let me know if any of this works. If you'd like to PM me the source PDF I can try some more options.
When I exlude -n option and export text with pdftotext, a space is usually inserted after an accented character and the wrapping is not preserved.

When I include -ppgs, it's even worse, additional, weird characters scattered over the text.

I send you a PM with the original pdf.
taddymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:15 PM   #1995
kos25k
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
How does the PDF file created by k2pdfopt look on your PC when you view it with a PDF reader? Does it match the k2pdfopt preview? It should. How it looks on your kindle will depend on what app you are using to display it and what settings you have applied in that app. The last time I used a kindle was about a decade ago, so I'm not sure what settings there are now. Can you tell the reader to fit each PDF page to the screen?
thanks,just compared and its same!Btw,do you have any idea on how to make reading on my kindle as much similar to prototype? (left) I would like to remove all blank areas from everywhere and smaller gaps between words..

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools