Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Need advice for softroot

I want to softroot my Nook using the instructions at http://nookdevs.com/Softroot I download all the necessary files and installed a memory card in my Nook. The instructions seem simple enough except Step 3: Getting a root shell with the Android Debug Bridge. Since I'm not familiar with the Android program I installed it first to make sure I could run it properly before I started the other steps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when I run the information on the command line as instructed all I get are errors that the command is not a internal command or something to that effect. I'm not even sure if step 3 is necessary since it seems like everything is completed in step 2. Is step 3 an option to add other programs or is it a necessary step. Please advise.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Did you install the Android SDK? If you did you have to set the directory path so that the cmd line knows where to look for the commands.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I want to softroot my Nook using the instructions at http://nookdevs.com/Softroot I download all the necessary files and installed a memory card in my Nook. The instructions seem simple enough except Step 3: Getting a root shell with the Android Debug Bridge. Since I'm not familiar with the Android program I installed it first to make sure I could run it properly before I started the other steps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when I run the information on the command line as instructed all I get are errors that the command is not a internal command or something to that effect. I'm not even sure if step 3 is necessary since it seems like everything is completed in step 2. Is step 3 an option to add other programs or is it a necessary step. Please advise.

~eddie
You don't need that step 3 anymore.
Just flash to the old 1.0 firmware (step 1).
Then do the update to the modified firmware (step 2).
They've included all the necessary applications directly into the modified firmware. You don't even need ADB anymore to permanently make nookLauncher your preferred (startup) launcher. It's integrated as well.
BTW: If you'd like to play around with ADB (like I said: It's not necessary, you perfectly can do without), you have to open the command line to the folder "tools" in the ADB.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-14-2010 at 07:23 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Did you install the Android SDK? If you did you have to set the directory path so that the cmd line knows where to look for the commands.
I did install Android but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. After I installed Android and ran it, it asked what programs I wanted to download from a list of about 8 or 10 choices. I chose the first one in the list that said SDK which had the higher version number. But when it started downloading I believe it downloaded all of them and it took quite some time doing it. When they say to run the commands in a terminal are they referring to the DOS prompt that's included with Windows or is there a different terminal that comes with Android? Thanks.

~eddie
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
How do you find the option to set nookLauncher as preferred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
They've included all the necessary applications directly into the modified firmware. You don't even need ADB anymore to permanently make nookLauncher your preferred (startup) launcher. It's integrated as well.
BTW: If you'd like to play around with ADB (like I said: It's not necessary, you perfectly can do without), you have to open the command line to the folder "tools" in the ADB.
Where in the updated nookLauncher is the option to set the preference for startup? I did steps 1 and 2 but I can't find anywhere to set the preference. Driving me crazy.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
Where in the updated nookLauncher is the option to set the preference for startup? I did steps 1 and 2 but I can't find anywhere to set the preference. Driving me crazy.
When scrolling through your icons in nookLauncher (settings, launcher settings, ...) at the farthest right you should have an icon "make permanent" or something like that (it's been a while, don't remember the label exactly). Push that icon/button, restart - done.
If the button's missing, check "launcher settings", maybe you have to activate that button?
BTW: Do you have to choose between the 2 launchers (standard or nookLauncher) each time you press nook's home button (the "n" on the touchscreen)?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
I was hoping someone said that. From the instructions it appears that you are done after step 2. It appears step 3 is for programing after you reflash the firmware. I wish they would indicate that on the website. Anyway as always you are a big help. I'll do it in the morning. I'm too tired to tackle it now. I don't want to screw anything up.

One more thing just to be sure I was doing it right. Below is what I got after typing the information as instructed on the DOS command prompt. I'm using my Windows XP laptop instead of my 64bit Win7 desktop to avoid compatibility problems.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eddie>cd C:\android\tools

C:\android\tools>./adb connect 192.168.2.8:5555
'.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\android\tools>

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 02-14-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I did install Android but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. After I installed Android and ran it, it asked what programs I wanted to download from a list of about 8 or 10 choices. I chose the first one in the list that said SDK which had the higher version number. But when it started downloading I believe it downloaded all of them and it took quite some time doing it. When they say to run the commands in a terminal are they referring to the DOS prompt that's included with Windows or is there a different terminal that comes with Android? Thanks.

~eddie
It's the standard "command prompt" from windows.
In this command prompt, you have to point to the folder "tools".
You should see something like "C:\android-sdk_r04-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>" in your prompt. Instead of "C....." your respective path. Only with the "...tools>" it will understand the "adb" command and other commands.
But, as I've written before, it's not needed anymore.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I was hoping someone said that. From the instructions it appears that you are done after step 2. It appears step 3 is for programing after you reflash the firmware. I wish they would indicate that on the website. Anyway as always you are a big help. I'll do it in the morning. I'm too tired to tackle it now. I don't want to screw anything up.

One more thing just to be sure I was doing it right. Below is what I got after typing the information as instructed on the DOS command prompt. I'm using my Windows XP laptop instead of my 64bit Win7 desktop to avoid compatibility problems.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eddie>cd C:\android\tools

C:\android\tools>./adb connect 192.168.2.8:5555
'.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\android\tools>
Happened to me as well. On Windows, it's "adb connect", not "./adb connect".
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
its still needed if you want to push new apks to the nook is it it not?

Last edited by rdfry; 02-14-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: I can't spell
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
its still needed if you want to push new apks to the nook is it it not?
You can update the existing applications via Trook.
(Usually?) it's the same for new apps.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-14-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
How do you update apps with Trook??
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
How do you update apps with Trook??
There's a link to "nookdevs" within Trook (preconfigured, you don't have to do a thing).
You see the available apps. There's a catch though: For some applications, you don't know which version you're using right now. So you don't know, whether there's an update or you already have that version installed.
I forgot one issue: You have to configure Trook to accept installations. This has to be done via ADB. So you need ADB once for the initial configuration.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
There is a nookdevs feed in Trook main screen. You can download & install all the available apps from there ( including newer versions of Trook).
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Happened to me as well. On Windows, it's "adb connect", not "./adb connect".
Thanks. I know I don't need the Android program but I hate when I can't get a program to work correctly. I did run it again as you showed above. I did get a little further. But this time I got a message saying the IP address couldn't be found. I know it's the correct IP address. But I'm done with Andriod and I will uninstall it since it's not needed.

I did the softroot upgrade. It was very easy. When you downgrade to firmware 1.0.0 supposedly you lose all of you data and settings. I did backup everything first. After the upgrade all of my information was gone except the WEP security settings for my router. I thought I would have to re-enter the WEP password but I didn't. I'm glad I didn't have to do it again because it was pain entering all of those digits and I kept hitting the wrong keys and having to start over. I wonder why that information was somehow retained but everything else was gone?

~eddie