Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
Difference between kfx and azw3

hello, good afternoon, I have a kindle 8th and I have several questions 1. How can I enable the sharing option in books converted to Kfx to share quotes on Goodreads. 2. What is the difference between kfx and azw3 format? because converting to kfx is very slow. 3.What adjustments do you make when converting to kfx to improve the quality of the converted books? Sorry for asking so much, and thank you very much. Goodnight.
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
0xSiegfried
0xSiegfried is on a distinguished road

Device: KOA3
Kfx is the new and modern kindle format. Fast and enable typesetting.
You can use Calibre with KFX output plugin. Try playing with option but you should read the Plugin options.
For your quotes, as I Know, you can't with sideloaded books. You can only add and update your readings but you your books should have the correct Goodreads ID in their metadata.

Last edited by 0xSiegfried; 06-11-2022 at 07:39 PM.
0xSiegfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
KFX has DRM on all eBooks that cannot be broken. KFX was created raise the size of Amazon's walled garden.

With KF8 (AZW3) you can remove the DRM, you can get eBooks without DRM, you can edit, you can convert, you can add soft hyphens with the Calibre Hyphenate This! plugin or you can use the hyphenate feature of the Calibre polish. You can use a font such as ChareInk to decrease the about of wasted space between lines. KFX forces a fixed line height of too big.

KFX is a lock with no key and KF8 is a lock with a key.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-12-2022 at 06:52 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KFX has DRM on all eBooks that cannot be broken.

KFX is a lock with no key and KF8 i a lock with a key.
There are three flaws:
1) Pirates scan paper editions.
2) You can set up to automatically photograph and turn the pages on a Kindle with KFX
3) You get the azw3/KF7 if you download. The day they kill that I stop buying Amazon ebooks.

In both cases you can OCR and proof if you want a high quality ebook rather than a PDF full of images.

It's simply controlling the consumer, not preventing commercial pirates. Also they add KFX encryption where the publisher/author requested DRM free.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
Good evening and thank you all for replying. Amazon can do what they want and lock their books as they please, there will always be someone who skips the drm. Done the law done the snare.I like kfx better because it allows you to see the page and the view of 9 pages of kindle, but I want to improve the format of the books, eg that at the end of each page it always reaches the same line and not that some are at the top and others at the bottom . I imagine that the simplest solution is to enable the orphans of the sentences that are left alone at the end of the page, or are they invalid? and I would like to know which format is better with that if azw3 or kfx. What you mention about the space between line and line doesn't bother me that much, really. I imagine that if I first convert the book to azw3, I can put the font you say and then convert it to kfx, or from the editor reduce the space and then reconvert it to kfx. I don't know much about editing
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2022, 04:51 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess kindle View Post
Good evening and thank you all for replying. Amazon can do what they want and lock their books as they please, there will always be someone who skips the drm. Done the law done the snare.I like kfx better because it allows you to see the page and the view of 9 pages of kindle, but I want to improve the format of the books, eg that at the end of each page it always reaches the same line and not that some are at the top and others at the bottom . I imagine that the simplest solution is to enable the orphans of the sentences that are left alone at the end of the page, or are they invalid? and I would like to know which format is better with that if azw3 or kfx. What you mention about the space between line and line doesn't bother me that much, really. I imagine that if I first convert the book to azw3, I can put the font you say and then convert it to kfx, or from the editor reduce the space and then reconvert it to kfx. I don't know much about editing
Sorry, but you cannot reduce the line space of KFX. It's hard coded to have the same line space regardless of what font is used. Some fonts such as ChareInk do cause the line space for KF8 to be reduced.

Another thing you can do with KF8 is use negative margins to reduce the L/R. margins. This is the CSS code I use at the top of the CSS on a 300DPI Kindle. I do not know if this works with KFX.

Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
  break-inside: avoid !important;
}
What you have to decide is if smaller line height and maybe smaller L/R margins for KF8 is more important then kerning, ligatures. larger line height, and maybe larger L/R margins for KFX.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-13-2022 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:24 PM   #7
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do not know if this works with KFX.

Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
  break-inside: avoid !important;
}
Yea it does.

Never seen the break...... part before, what does it do?
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:55 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Yea it does.

It attempts to avoid having a page break inside a box. The most common use I've seen is a box containing an image and a caption which you want to keep together. Since I read relatively few books with multiple images, not something that I've worried about.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:56 AM   #9
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Thanks.

I really need two kindles to test and compare. The last time i loaded 2 copies of the same book thinking changing name would work it sent my PW into seriously slooooow mode. Got really worried.

Last edited by Gandulf; 06-14-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Yea it does.

I don't recall why the page break, but it's there to fix some sort of problem that happened in some older firmware. Given that it causes no problems and may fix some, I've had it there for a long time. I also fon't know if whatever the problem was that this fixes was ever fixed.

Tags
kfx, quality, sharing options