Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #61
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Thanks, GtrsRGr8. I read your posts, too.
Likewise! These are great finds, and so easy to download and email to kindle.

Thanks, GtrsRGr8!
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #62
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Thanks, GtrsRGr8. I read your posts, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekaren View Post
Likewise! These are great finds, and so easy to download and email to kindle.

Thanks, GtrsRGr8!
Thanks, but it was just an attempt at humor. Besides, I know that my posts are awesome. hahahaha
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #63
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Get this Computer Programming Book, that's $35.62 as a Mobi at Amazon, FREE as a Pdf!

The ebook is provided courtesy of the University of California-Irvine and/or IT ebooks (it-ebooks.com).

Title: OpenGL Programming Guide.
Format: Pdf.
Author(s): Dave Schreiner, and others.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley.
Pages: xlvi + 935.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): 3.6 (44); 3.75 (8) at GoodReads.
Price: $0.00.
Price of Amazon Kindle Mobi, if Available: $35.62.
Book Description:
The official guide to learning OpenGL, Version 4.3 . . . .

The OpenGL graphics system is a software interface to graphics hardware. ("GL" stands for "Graphics Library.") It allows you to create interactive programs that produce color images of moving, three-dimensional objects. With OpenGL, you can control computer-graphics technology to produce realistic pictures, or ones that depart from reality in imaginative ways.

The OpenGL Series from Addison-Wesley Professional comprises tutorial and reference books that help programmers gain a practical understanding of OpenGL standards, along with the insight needed to unlock OpenGL's full potential.

Comments: This is the most recent (eighth, for version 4.3) edition.
URL: http://www.ics.uci.edu/~gopi/CS211B/...th_edition.pdf.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-17-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #64
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
This ebook is accessed from the Internet Archive.

You may have a tendency to think "public domain" when you hear "Internet Archive." I certainly do. But, the IA also has an enormous number of free ebooks which have a current, valid copyright.

The problem is finding the good ones--the IA does not even have a rating system for their ebooks, as far as I'm aware. Thankfully, I became aware of this gem below from it being mentioned on another website.

The URL that I will give below is that of the IA webpage for the ebook. Besides the color pdf, they will offer Kindle mobi and ePub, among other, less popular, formats. I have downloaded and checked the mobi and ePub versions and they are in such bad shape that they are unusable (garbled, loaded with digital artifacts, etc.). The color pdf turns out nice, so I recommend that you download it.

Everyone is different, but personally I find this book fascinating.

Title: Degenerate art : the fate of the avant-garde in Nazi Germany.
Author(s): Stephanie Barron; Peter W. Guenther.
Publisher: Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).
Pages: 423.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): 4.8 (4) at Amazon; 4.5 (34) at GoodReads.
Lowest Price at Amazon if available there: $21.15 (used--"good").
Book Description (From Google Books):
Examines the 1937 Nazi-arranged exhibition "Degenerate Art," comprised of 650 avante-garde artworks stripped from German museums. Includes essays, a diagrammed catalogue of the exhibition, artist biographies, a translated facsimile of the exhibition guide, and other reference resources, accompanied by reprints of the artworks and photos of the exhibition itself.
Comments: This is the 1991 edition. I think that this ebook has been provided by the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), which is credited as one of the publishers of the book.
URL: https://archive.org/details/degenerateartfa00barr.
Thank you for both the post (I find this subject fascinating, too) and for vetting the quality of the popular e-book formats.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #65
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE Pdf Book on the Hagia Sophia--Lowest Priced Copy at Amazon $644.97! *

UPDATE: See at the end of this post.

I ran across the website of this organization called Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection (doaks.org), located in the Washington, D.C. area. Seems that they specialize in Byzantine and MesoAmerican studies.

They offer some free pdf ebooks. This one seemed more "accessible" than most of the other ones. And what few ratings that I could find for the book are very high. So, I'm posting it.

Title: Mosaics of Hagia Sophia, Istanbul: The Fossati Restoration and the Work of the Byzantine Institute.
Author(s): Natalia B. Teteriatnikov.
Publisher: Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection.
Pages: 78.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: Not rated at Amazon; 4.25 (4) at GoodReads.
Lowest Price at Amazon if available there: $644.97 (New paperback).
Book Description (from Dumbarton Oaks):
Drawing on material in the Dumbarton Oaks Byzantine Photograph and Fieldwork Archives, this catalogue records two periods of work that uncovered the mosaics of Hagia Sophia, hidden by whitewash and plaster for 400 years. The photographs and drawings record the procedures used in the restoration and the results of these projects carried out in 1848–49 by the architects Gaspare and Giuseppe Fossati and later in 1931–49 by the Byzantine Institute.
Comments:
URL: http://www.doaks.org/resources/publi...hia/sophia.pdf.

* No, the $644.97 is not a misprint nor my idea of a joke. That is the lowest price for this book, a new paperback copy, at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mosaics-Hagia-...dp/0884022641/). Thinking that that might be a fluke, I checked a (physical) book mega search engine, Bookfinder.com. They showed many copies being available, but the lowest price that they showed was Amazon's. Apparently Amazon does not offer the book in their digital Kindle mobi format; if they did, it would probably be substantially cheaper than the physical book.

UPDATE: Two items. First, I learned that the book is out-of-print. That would account for some part of the high price of physical copies (no doubt, the new one that Amazon offers (by a third party) is a leftover in a bookseller's inventory). Second, I noticed that all of the photos inside the book were in black-and-white. I assumed that that was how it was originally printed, but I notice that Dumbarton states, concerning another ebook that they offer for free, that the color illustrations in it are given in black-and-white only. I suspect that they did it with this book also. If that is the case, when you download the book you will want to "use Smooth Text option in Acrobat Reader preferences for best results in displaying images."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-18-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Advert
Old 01-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #66
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Christianbook has "daily deal" specials of between 2-4 books each day.

I don't often post any of these because, for one thing, I often don't see them until late in the day (today is a prime example of that) and Christianbook pulls them at 12 midnight Eastern time each day (even before they post new ones, which is often an hour or more after midnight). However, a post that I made of a Zig Ziglar book several months ago seemed to be a real crowd pleaser. So, I want to post this one.

Today, they've got Life Wisdom: Quotes from Zig Ziglar: Inspire to Be Great! for 99 cents. It is DRM-Free and, of course, ePub. According to Christianbook, the retail price on it is $9.99, although the ebook is only around 50 pages long, I think that it is.

Another reason that I wanted to post this book is that Amazon has the same price on it as Christianbook does--99 cents. I have never known Amazon to match the price of a Christianbook Daily Deal, so I don't know what to make of it. But I hope that it is the start of something new at Amazon.

Here's my plug for the book. I first listened to some of Ziglar's stuff nearly 36 years ago, when I was . . . well, nevermind how old that I was.(ha) His talk was on a cassette tape! I remember the year, the season of the year, and place where I first heard him. The point being, he's good. And if you've never heard him or read after him before, you would be bestowing upon yourself a huge favor by doing it. This ebook is a very inexpensive way to introduce yourself to his remarkable wisdom, insight, and wit.

Now for you people who get offended at the smallest religious reference in a book (you know who you are), please be aware that Ziglar was a professed Christian. And, even though I haven't read this book, I know, from reading and listening to other stuff of his, that he will be making some religious statements in this book.

Here are the links to the ebook at Christianbook and at Amazon.com.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-19-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #67
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
The Stratagemata of Frontinus by Frontinus

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019154VUO/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019154VUO/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019154VUO/

Frontinus, (40 - 103 A.D.) was a Roman aristocrat and author. His most famous works were on aqueducts (De Aquaeductu), and a military treatise (Stratagemata). Stratagemata discusses military tactics, using examples of Greek and Roman generals. The book was intended to be used by Roman generals, and draws upon Frontinus' experience as a general in Germany under Emperor Domitian.

This is from Palatine Press a 'weird name' publisher. The unusual feature is that this text doesn't seem to be from Gutenberg (There is a scan/ uncorrected OCR on archive.com)

Of course if you would like his other work on the aqueducts of Rome, the original Latin of both and a biography then pay up for the Not Free Delphi edition Complete Works of Frontinus (Delphi Classics) (Delphi Ancient Classics Book 57)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EQUUUA/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019EQUUUA/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019EQUUUA/

Last edited by Little.Egret; 01-21-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: corrected 'Complete Works' links
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #68
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
The Stratagemata of Frontinus by Frontinus
<snip>
This is from Palatine Press a 'weird name' publisher. The unusual feature is that this text doesn't seem to be from Gutenberg (There is a scan/ uncorrected OCR on archive.com)
<snip>
Having a large group of their ebooks marked down to free is part of the pattern that these publishers follow. There are, in fact, about 25-30 of Palatine Press' titles free at Amazon at the present time: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_pr...price-asc-rank (sorted by price low to high).

Thanks for letting us know about this "weird name" publisher.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:12 AM   #69
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
...the Not Free Delphi edition[/I] Complete Works of Frontinus (Delphi Classics) (Delphi Ancient Classics Book 57)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019154VUO/
I was looking up a correct link and found two editions, published a couple of weeks apart:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Front...dp/B01AG6OP3A/
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Front.../dp/B019EQUUUA

Both are $1.99
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #70
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Charles River Editors

Nineveh: The History and Legacy of the Ancient Assyrian Capital

Caligula's Nemi Ships: The History of the Roman Emperor's Mysterious Luxury Boats

The Massachusetts Bay Colony: The History and Legacy of the Settlement of Colonial New England

The Aleutian Islands Campaign: The History of Japan's Invasion of Alaska during World War II

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-...+river+editors

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=searc...+river+editors
http://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-a...+river+editors
Old 01-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #71
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I was looking up a correct link and found two editions, published a couple of weeks apart:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Front...dp/B01AG6OP3A/
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Front.../dp/B019EQUUUA

Both are $1.99
Thanks

On sale at $1.49 at the publisher

http://www.delphiclassics.com/shop/frontinus/
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #72
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

From the Publisher, AMACOM--FREE Pdf of the Classic, The Time Trap (Fourth Edition)!

On the cover of the book is this statement: "the classic book on time management." Well, I don't know about this book being the classic book, but this book certainly is a classic on the subject.

I'm personally gratified to run across this freebie. I bought my first copy of this book in a thrift store or at a yard sale or some place like that, years ago. Now, I can get rid of yet one more dead-tree book cluttering up my house and, on top of that, get the most recent edition. And, gratis!

Title: The Time Trap: The Classic Book on Time Management (4th edition).
Author(s): Alec Mackenzie; Pat Nickerson.
Publisher: AMACOM (a division of the American Management Association).
Pages: xv + 302.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): 4.2 (47).
Digital Price at Amazon if available there: $3.00.
Book Description (Amazon):
The all-time classic book on time management, "The Time Trap", has shown countless readers how to squeeze the optimal efficiency and satisfaction out of their work day. Based on decades of research with businesspeople around the world, and now completely updated. Filled with smart tactics, revealing interviews, and handy time management tools, the book has been extensively revised to cover time management challenges caused by new technologies and the Internet, and to provide technology-based solutions. For those who feel swamped by work and information overload, this is the proven, up-to-the-minute guide they need for getting things done when there never seems to be enough time.
Comments: The copyright year of this edition, the fourth, is 2009.
URL: http://www.amacombooks.org/downloads...-Time-Trap.pdf (direct link).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-23-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:44 AM   #73
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks! The Time Trap looks good.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #74
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks! The Time Trap looks good.
Thanks.

I've had a copy, as I mentioned, for several years. Never could find the time to read it, though. hahahah

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-23-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #75
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE Objectivist (Think: Ayn Rand) Books, for Students.

"Get any Ayn Rand novel or book about Objectivism for free. You just have to pledge to read it." So says the headline at the top of the webpage at freeobjectivistbooks.org.

In case you don't know anything about Ayn Rand or Objectivism, here's a link to the Wikipedia page for Ayn Rand.

This is an offer only for students of a high school, college, or university. The way that it works, apparently, is that you sign up and then they find "a donor who will send you the book for free."

Usually I vet book offers before I post them. And by vetting, I mean that I actually get a copy myself and possibly even read some amount of it. I can't do it in this case because I'm not currently enrolled in high school, college, or university--I don't qualify for the offer. So, sorry, you're on your own this time. Caveat emptor.

I am assuming that this is an offer for an ebook, not a physical book. However, the fact that the website will have a donor send it to you makes me wonder.

Anyway, here are the choices for the book that you can request:
Atlas Shrugged.
The Fountainhead.
We the Living.
The Virtue of Selfishness.
Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal.
Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand (by Leonard Peikoff).
And, you can also choose "other" and insert the title of the book that you want.

While I didn't get a free ebook out of this deal, I am glad about one thing: I found out that selfishness is a virtue. I feel sooo much better about myself, now.