Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Cerest
Cerest began at the beginning.

Device: None
Questions

Is there a way to automatically delete extra copies of books with the binary compare? From what I understand, the chances of having different books with the same binary is very very small, so why not automate the process?

Last edited by Cerest; 07-26-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Cerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerest View Post
Is there a way to automatically delete extra copies of books with the binary compare? From what I understand, the chances of having different books with the same binary is very very small, so why not automate the process?
Install and use the Find Duplicates plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Cerest

Read my posts instead of skimming them :P

The Find Duplicates plugin has a binary comparison feature... as I mentioned in the OP. It is now packaged in the main calibre download :P

I'll restate the question...

The plugin has a binary comparison feature that allows you to find files that have the exact same file size (to the byte). It is nearly impossible to have different books with the exact same to the byte file size... even more so in formats like .pdfs. Is there any function out there that takes the step further and deletes files with the same binary and keeps one?

Last edited by Cerest; 07-26-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Is there any function out there that takes the step further and deletes files with the same binary and keeps one?
No. The individual is still required to determine which book entry has the best metadata that they wish to keep. It is best to do the binary compare/deletions on your library prior to adding the books to calibre.

BTW congrats on being the only person on my ignore list.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-26-2011 at 11:59 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Cerest

This is quite a friendly forum @_@

I'll try to write something quick as an extension to the current plugin and, if anyone is interested, I'll post it in the main find duplicates thread.

Last edited by Cerest; 07-27-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I'll try to write something quick as an extension to the current plugin and, if anyone is interested, I'll post it in the main find duplicates thread.
It's been discussed before. The consensus I recall was that automated deletion was not desirable even if the file formats are binary identical. A human must still decide which book record to keep the format in. Typically the records will have different metadata. The only use case I can see for automated deletion is where the metadata is identical in the two book records, and one of the book records has only one format. That is likely to be a very uncommon occurrence.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote