Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 01:51 AM   #1
d321
d321 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition 11th Generation
Smile Some questions and bug reports.

DEVICE INFO:

Kindle Paperwhite 11th Signature Edition MT8110 Bellatrix device

Hello everyone, hope you're all doing fine! I would appreciate if anybody could help me by clearing some doubts, been wandering on this forum, on google, and wherever I could look for answer to my questions.. didn't had much luck though, hopefully I will have more luck by asking directly.

TL;DR: Look for Italic text style to go straight to the questions.

1) I was on version 5.14.3.0.1 now I've managed to downgrade to 5.14.2,

What I've noticed is:

OFW 5.14.3.0.1 - Thanks to Language Break, I am glad to have done the downgrade, it updated last year by connecting it to Wi-fi. *facepalm*
After @NiLuJelatest Hotfix Kindle was slower than usual.

OFW 5.14.2 - so good so far, used WatchThis jailbreak, I've noticed a thing though, I used @katadelos hotfix after the Jailbreak and the Kindle was smooth, after that I've installed @NiLuJe last hotfix, did I made a mistake by installing two hotfixes/do I need only one hotfix?

Which Kindle Firmware Version & hotfix, is fastest, lightweight and reliable? aka Debloat by downgrading to a lower firmware my Kindle

2) How to safely block OTA and Amazon Logging? Is there any version which I need to achieve this? Please let me know if there are better versions.
aka Debloat my Kindle and cut any kind of connection with Amazon, on device & router.

(I need Wi-Fi activated so I can't keep it permanently turned off.)

3) I would like to be able to send books through Wi-fi and stop keeping and connecting the USB to the Kindle, so,
how do I send books through my Wi-fi connection to my kindle?

4) I would love to keep my Kindle ultra-safe and avoid any kind of bricks at all, any suggestions/tips? What should I have installed/configured, what should I avoid doing at all costs?

5) I would like to customize the UI of KindleOS, remove the store, and keep only the Library, to use it with my Offline books which I'll transfer through Wi-fi, how can I customize the homepage or anything Kindle official OS related? Also Kual doesn't have any book cover, I would like to add one, as well for KoReader... but first I need to install it as a package...

6) As previously told.. I would like KoReader as a package in the library, which currently is accessible only through Kual, how can I place KoReader on the Library home?

7) How to safely factory-reset the Kindle, while keeping the Jailbreak?

8) DuoKan OS for Kindle is unsupported? Are there any lightweight alternatives for Kindle instead of KindleOS? i.e. DuoKan OS

Also, I've found out this terrible bug that made me panic, basically I was on5.14.3.0.1 and after LanguageBreak Jailbreak I've went in to the settings and set the option "Invert color" to make UI all black instead of white as default.

When I went to the search bar and typed ;log something really weird happened, the whole screen became blank! and I couldn't see anything! Still.. the Kindle was fully operative, as I started locking and unlocking the screen,

To solve this I did a restart forcedly by button, and could see the screen again, so I went into settings and disabled the "Invert color" option, reverting it to the White UI color. Never happened again with the default UI color, still, I haven't tried with 5.14.2.

Thank you very much for your time and your attention, hopefully somebody could answer my newbie questions, which I think I am not the only one to have thought about...

TL;DR: Look for Italic text style to go straight to the questions.
d321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:05 PM   #2
Scrad
Scrad began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
2) there are 2 package called renameotabin and binaryrenamer, you could use either, the latter also blocks all types of logging from what i could tell. they both achieve the same functionality of blocking updates from amazon, meaning you can safely turn on wifi on the kindle, although putting a update file manually in kindle's visible storage and restarting still updates it, so keep an eye out for any stray bin files

3) you could achieve it via koreader's inbuild calibre plugin, just set up your calibre library to be accessible over the local network or something and that should be it.

6) install KOL-> https://github.com/yparitcher/KUAL_Booklet
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:09 PM   #3
d321

Thank you so much @Scrad! +Rep
Questions: 2 , 3 & 6 SOLVED!
Remains only: 1 , 4 , 5 , 7 & 8.

Thank you so much.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:19 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
1. Not our bug. The jb/bridge is a completely inert piece of code once the device has finished booting.

4. Don't daily a modern Kindle? .

5. Unlike you enjoy paperweights, no.

7. Don't combo a factory reset with a FW update. Reboot twice after either.

8. No.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM   #5
d321

Smile Almost at the finish line..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

1. Not our bug. The jb/bridge is a completely inert piece of code once the device has finished booting.

4. Don't daily a modern Kindle? .

5. Unlike you enjoy paperweights, no.

7. Don't combo a factory reset with a FW update. Reboot twice after either.

8. No.
Thank you for your kind reply NiLuJe.

1. So in the end we need only 1 hotfix after jailbreak? katadelos Hotfix or NiLuJe hotfix? is there any difference at all? What about the slowdown of the OS?

4. I don't understand the rethorical question, pardon my incompetence. Is there any 100% backup which I can restore in case of messing up? so in this case should I install USBNetwork? Which are the commands that gets you screwed by risking a brick, I mean, where shouldn't I mess to be fine with USBNetwork.

5. Seems fair. :')

7. Reboot twice after FW Upd or Factory Reset, okay so basically:

Step-by-step will be:

Firmware Update or Downgrade based on the jailbreak needed version

Reboot TWICE Kindle

Install Hotfix (Kataledos or NiLuJe or both?)

All-set, start installing Kual and MRPI.

Confirmed?

A silly extra question, as usual, does WatchThis and LanguageBreak have any difference in jailbreaking, besides version compatibilities and exploitation code differences?

@NiLuJe!
Questions: 2 , 3, 5, 6, & 8 SOLVED!
Remains only: 1 , 4 & 7.
+some little doubts on the matter in this reply.

Thank you so much to you all for your time, bless you.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:44 PM   #6
Scrad
Scrad began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
5) adding to this, you can set a cover to KUAL/KOL using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=15
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:53 PM   #7
d321

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrad View Post
5) adding to this, you can set a cover to KUAL/KOL using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=15
Wow! Thank you so much once again for your little but helpful insight on my quest to understand what it is really possible and what isn't.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:18 PM   #8
d321

Hello, any updates please.

Tags
bug, jailbroken, kindle, question, report