Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Maybe I"m reading (ha!) too much into this

This image found on Amazon looks like a kindle to me

What is this?

But the book title is in color.

Weird? Or nah?

BTW it was on my Amazon home screen when I initially saw it.

mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or it could be a mock-up. The colors are too bright for a color eInk screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-29-2023 at 05:14 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:52 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Joffe Books seems to mock up colour on Kindle Screens.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:38 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It also resembles a Fire tablet, except the bezels are not that wide.

I have been trying to start a rumor that there will be 2 new 8" Kindles this fall, one of them with Kaleido 3 screen.

Only question is whether they will be Oasis 3 or Scribe Mini.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:47 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Only question is whether they will be Oasis 3 or Scribe Mini.
As long as they have physical buttons, I wouldn't care (I don't take notes). The Scribe has no buttons; if a Scribe Mini with no buttons gets released and no other model with buttons appears, then that will be the final burial of my 10-years-long affair with Kindles (which is currently on hiatus since I sold my Oasis last year).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:33 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As long as they have physical buttons, I wouldn't care (I don't take notes). The Scribe has no buttons; if a Scribe Mini with no buttons gets released and no other model with buttons appears, then that will be the final burial of my 10-years-long affair with Kindles (which is currently on hiatus since I sold my Oasis last year).
I think it should have buttons even if it is a Scribe. Plenty of people use Scribe for a reading device only. I like writing on it but don't have a lot to write about. Sudoku and crossword puzzles work very well too. And they need an upgrade path for Oasis owners.

I don't think it needs to maintain the Oasis shape, especially if it compromises battery capacity.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:45 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think it needs to maintain the Oasis shape, especially if it compromises battery capacity.
I rather like the Oasis shape, but I would be content with the shape of the Scribe as well (flat back, one wide side bezel - the Kobo Sage has similar shape). What I wouldn't like is the old rectangular shape with narrow bezels. I hold my ereaders in one hand by a bottom corner and when all the bezels are slim, it's impossible for me to get a good grip. I don't use a cover while reading.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:25 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I rather like the Oasis shape, but I would be content with the shape of the Scribe as well (flat back, one wide side bezel - the Kobo Sage has similar shape). What I wouldn't like is the old rectangular shape with narrow bezels. I hold my ereaders in one hand by a bottom corner and when all the bezels are slim, it's impossible for me to get a good grip. I don't use a cover while reading.
I had an Oasis for a couple of months and found it pretty uncomfortable to hold as it is designed to be held, and there are not really any other options. Kept accidentally turning pages, hand felt like it was going to cramp up. It seems designed for smaller hands (not that mine are that large).

Paperwhite 11 gen is better for me, as I it offers more ways to hold (e.g. along bottom), not very slippery, and easier to switch hands.

Traded it in for Scribe. Not really a comfortable one handed device either, so I either use 2 hands or rest it on some surface (lap, desk, bed) most of the time. I think the wide bezel side is mostly useful as support for palm while writing as stylus approaches the side of the dominant hand, not for holding one handed. Maybe that's why there are no buttons, too: palm rest could accidentally activate them. For reading, I could do without it.

In my mind 8" is 'just right'. Maybe buttons would work better for me, and one handed operation would be practicable.

That said PocketBook InkPad 4 is the leading 8" at this point for me. And maybe the color one (even though it uses 'antiquated' Kaleido 2).

Last edited by tomsem; 08-30-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:48 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

That said PocketBook InkPad 4 is the leading 8" at this point for me. And maybe the color one (even though it uses 'antiquated' Kaleido 2).
The bottom bezel is too narrow for me; it wouldn't be comfortable to hold in the way I hold my ereaders. Also it's even heavier than the Sage, whose weight is about the upper limit of what feels comfortable to hold with one hand.

Anyway, I won't buy a Pocketbook until they have the option to adjust font weight. That's something I can't do without. Yes, I could use KOReader, but I'd prefer not to.

Oh well. The good thing is that we have so many different devices with different screen sizes and shapes available; most of us can find something suitable.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:13 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The bottom bezel is too narrow for me; it wouldn't be comfortable to hold in the way I hold my ereaders. Also it's even heavier than the Sage, whose weight is about the upper limit of what feels comfortable to hold with one hand.

Anyway, I won't buy a Pocketbook until they have the option to adjust font weight. That's something I can't do without. Yes, I could use KOReader, but I'd prefer not to.

Oh well. The good thing is that we have so many different devices with different screen sizes and shapes available; most of us can find something suitable.
Bottom bezel looks pretty generous to me, certainly more than any of the others, but YMMV.

Also you probably know this too, but I think you can easily add custom fonts.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:28 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also you probably know this too, but I think you can easily add custom fonts.
Yes, but you can't adjust their weight. My favorite fonts are too thin without a bit of added weight; there are a couple I could use as they are, but generally I'd prefer to have the weight option available. No idea why Pocketbooks still don't have such a basic feature; even Nooks have it, and Kindles have had it for several years too.

(Yeah, I did read for many years without it, but ofc the more options you have, the fussier you get...)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:23 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, but you can't adjust their weight. My favorite fonts are too thin without a bit of added weight; there are a couple I could use as they are, but generally I'd prefer to have the weight option available. No idea why Pocketbooks still don't have such a basic feature; even Nooks have it, and Kindles have had it for several years too.

(Yeah, I did read for many years without it, but ofc the more options you have, the fussier you get...)
You can set Bold for many of the fonts, I guess that's what PB thinks serves as adding weight. It is too heavy, but maybe sometimes it is a little better than just Regular.

I assume there must be fonts that are heavy enough to begin with, but have not gone looking for them.

Tags
color, kindle, oopsies, real deal, wishful thinking