Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #1
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb More colors for cover generator

Can we please expand the color range for the cover generator? This represents a minor change which opens up many more beautiful book covers
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open the edit metadata dialog, right click the generate cover button and create as many new color schemes as you like.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:33 PM   #3
chinax
chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Sony DPT-CP1
I made a post a while ago with information on creating an endless set of randomized color schemes that can then be used in cover generation. Basically, I found a website that allows one to generate text from a regex template, and created a template whose result could be pasted into the file where calibre saves color schemes.

You can ask the website to generate as many iterations from the template as you want. I think I have a few thousand themes saved in calibre, which I refresh every few months or so. I've attached a screenshot of my themes list just so you see the end result.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of some custom covers I made for journal articles, shrinking the size to display as many as possible. Looks like I got 230 in there, and no two use the exact same colors. Of course, I use some typesetting hacks and I'm running from source with tweaked copies of the default styles, which helps with cover diversity too. But the colors are all generated from regex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-17 210459.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	760.3 KB
ID:	194428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-17 203940.png
Views:	139
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	194429  
chinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Right clicking a button is rather unintuitive.

I'm specifically requesting that the default color scheme list be expanded.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
mcandre
Connoisseur

Load button doesn't appear to do anything

When I try to load a color scheme file, the Load button does not appear to do anything at all.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What version of Calibre?
What OS?
and where is this 'Load' button (how to get to see it)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandre View Post

I'm specifically requesting that the default color scheme list be expanded.
Unintuitive? Calibre and many other apps are riddled with CONTEXT MENUS

One of the first things I learned when mice started being used (yes, I started on the original 8086: clones) , was right-click on things to see what was there.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:10 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's a small inverted triangle glyph on the bottom left corner of the Generate Cover button. When the new Generate cover tool was introduced it took me a couple of frustrating days to discover that unlike a similar glyph on a toolbar button, it is not a separate clickable element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Unintuitive? Calibre and many other apps are riddled with CONTEXT MENUS
Because they can't be opened from the keyboard with Shift+F10, a menu on a button is not a context menu - IMO.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What version of Calibre?
What OS?
and where is this 'Load' button (how to get to see it)?
five'll get you ten the OP's referring to the Generate Cover feature. I'll merge this with the other threat.

@mcandre - you can only Load a scheme you previously Saved.

And please don't start multiple threads on the same topic.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-18-2022 at 09:01 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Perhaps a few decades back, you might have been right. Now almost every program I use uses right-click context menus despite quibbles from those who claim that a context menu must also allow the Shift-F10 shortcut. I won't even get into those programs that have separate menus for right-click and Shift-F10 other than to say some programmers are odd critters.

It might be argued that using Shift-F10 to open a command prompt during a Windows OOBE should be matched by using right-click to do the same.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've been using Right Click for Context menus for over 25 years. Never bothered with Shift F10, which might need two hands.

I've even given 2 and 3 button USB mice to poor Apple OS9 and early oS10 (OSX) users to replace the stupid one button round mouse so they could use Context Menus with one hand.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #12
chinax
chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.chinax composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Sony DPT-CP1
Quote:
When I try to load a color scheme file, the Load button does not appear to do anything at all.
You don't load color scheme files, if you save a theme it saves the selected color scheme, style, fonts and font sizes, and title/subtitle/footer format. You have to save a set of those settings to be able load them later, but that is not how you add new color schemes.

To add a new color scheme, you should see "+ New Color Scheme" on the bottom left of the list of color scemes. I'm surprised you didn't see it before seeing 'load', but I guess I remember when all of these buttons were new. When this feature was first introduced, I just looked up cool color palletes and transferred them over.

You can do more with calibre if you're willing to peek around behind the scenes.
chinax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, cover, covers, editor