Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
it is better to convert directly to kfx or first to mobi?

hello, good evening, I have a question, what is the best input format to convert to kfx? I mean, do I get better quality in the book if I convert it first to mobi and then to azw before converting to kfx? or it doesn't make any difference if i convert directly to kfx?
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess kindle View Post
hello, good evening, I have a question, what is the best input format to convert to kfx? I mean, do I get better quality in the book if I convert it first to mobi and then to azw before converting to kfx? or it doesn't make any difference if i convert directly to kfx?
Use the format the eBook came in originally. If it's Mobi, ePub, or KF8, use those. Do not do an intermediate conversion first.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #3
Princess kindle
Enthusiast
Princess kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8th
Hello, thanks for answering so soon, I had that doubt for a long time. And if I have a book in several formats? eg mobi and epub, what will be the best input format? or it doesn't matter good night.
Princess kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:43 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hello, thanks for answering so soon, I had that doubt for a long time. And if I have a book in several formats? eg mobi and epub, what will be the best input format? or it doesn't matter good night.
Epub for sure.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:16 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Epub for sure.
I wouldn't think that the input format would matter since calibre deconstructs the ebook into xml and then converts that into whatever output format was specified; my interpretation is that she's wondering if she should convert the book to epub and then convert it to kfx. You're right if the book is available for download in both mobi and epub; download the epub and ignore the mobi.

Last edited by hobnail; 06-12-2022 at 11:19 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:19 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I wouldn't think that the input format would matter since calibre deconstructs the ebook into xml and then converts that into whatever output format was specified; my interpretation is that she's wondering if she should convert the book to epub and then convert it to kfx. You're right if the book is available for download in both mobi and epub; download the epub and ignore the mobi.
Mobi doesn't support several formatting features that epub does, so converting to mobi would nuke those features and they cannot be easily put back. If the only original format is mobi, then it won't matter, but otherwise epub (if it's not a converted mobi, of course) is certainly preferable. (Yeah, I get that to you it probably wouldn't matter at all, with your sledgehammer approach to formatting ).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:37 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Convert epub to either dual mobi (if it's PD for a friend and you don't know model) or epub to azw3/KF8 if Kindle is later than 2.5.8 FW, i.e. has Publisher option in Aa menu.
The KFX is less documented and little advantage over azw3/KF8 except for Amazon.
Best non-ebook format to import to Calibre is docx (MS word or extra Save As in LO Writer) with proper styles. Then convert to epub2.
Make ALL other formats except RTF and PDF from the epub2. Remove the docx from Library once the epub is done. PDF and RTF are best done from the Wordprocessor, though "printing" a PDF from Calibre Viewer isn't bad and exporting an RTF or docx from epub is better than nothing to seriously edit in the wordprocessor.

Basic Mobi is only for ancient Kindles older than KK3 (also DXG even though it's later than KK3 because it's really an earlier DX with screen upgrade). Some ancient Symbian phones and Windows CE PDAs/Phones might have a later Mobipocket app that takes old mobi. Earlier Mobipocket (like for PalmOS PDA) uses pdb or similar, even less styles & formats.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:51 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
… my interpretation is that she's wondering if she should convert the book to epub and then convert it to kfx. You're right if the book is available for download in both mobi and epub; download the epub and ignore the mobi.
Though don't download mobi or epub from wayback, download PDF (extract OCR and edit / proof in Wordprocessor if you want decent epub/kf8 etc).

Mobi is best from Gutenberg and Faded Pages because they likely add formatting you don't want to have in epub. Convert it to epub2 in Calibre with Smarten Punctuation, Fully Justify (leaves headings etc as is) and remove paragraph spacing. I change the default indent from 1.5 em to 1.4 em, but 1.2 to 1.7 works and is matter of taste.
I use regex aided search to ditch inline page numbers. Sometimes I make first paragraph have no indent and remove drop caps and small caps. Search for closing tag of chapter or centred scene break with start of <p class="whatever"
replace "whatever" with "no-indent"
Find & copy the .whatever class in CSS with new name .no-indent and set the text-indent=0 instead of 1.4 em etc.

Remove any line-height lines in CSS, especially body CSS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That depends on which is the source format. If the ePub was created by converting the Mobi, then use the Mobi. If the Mobi was created from the ePub, use the ePub. If both are originals, use the ePub.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Mobi doesn't support several formatting features that epub does, so converting to mobi would nuke those features and they cannot be easily put back. If the only original format is mobi, then it won't matter, but otherwise epub (if it's not a converted mobi, of course) is certainly preferable. (Yeah, I get that to you it probably wouldn't matter at all, with your sledgehammer approach to formatting ).
Agreed. Mobi should just always be ignored, whether it's available for download (unless it's the only format available). And certainly nothing should ever be converted to mobi unless they have an ancient kindle (or palm pilot) that needs it.

Unfortunately there are still plenty of old web pages that tout mobi as the preferred format for kindles. When I first started with ebooks that was the impression I got, that mobi was the best. It wouldn't be so bad if the mobi was the dual one with both the new and old formats but that's an obscure wrinkle that I suspect that a lot of people don't know about and may get or create the single old mobi format.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:42 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You can still find some eBook on Amazon available only in Mobi. And in that case, that's the source format.

Tags
convert, kfx, mobi