Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-24-2022, 07:17 AM   #1
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast
ReaderGuy42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Issue sorting numbered titles (1, 10, 11, 2, 20, etc.)

I have numbered a series of books, as they're in a long series (The Legend of Drizzt with upwards of 40 books), so I can tell which order they go in.

However, now when I sort them by title, they appear numbered like shown in the title, e.g.
1, 10, 11, 12 . . . 2, 20, 21, 22, and so on.

I'm not sure if this is a Linux issue because I was recently having similar issues in my Linux Mint file explorer. Or is there a way to have the numbers be sorted correctly?

Thanks
ReaderGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:20 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGuy42 View Post
I'm not sure if this is a Linux issue because I was recently having similar issues in my Linux Mint file explorer. Or is there a way to have the numbers be sorted correctly?

Use 01, 02, 03...etc.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:21 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Assuming you are asking about what you see in calibre, not on a reader or in a file explorer:

See Preferences / Behavior / Recognize numbers inside text when sorting.

Question: why put the series information in the title? Why not use the series column?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Assuming you are asking about what you see in calibre, not on a reader or in a file explorer:

See Preferences / Behavior / Recognize numbers inside text when sorting.

Question: why put the series information in the title? Why not use the series column?
Perfect, thank you!
a) I didn't think of using another column. I haven't been using Calibre that long/that much, so I forgot you could do that.
b) I'd like the sort order to be used on my reading device too, since I find navigating to be a little more difficult there.

But that setting worked, thank you!!
Old 05-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I have numbered a series of books, as they're in a long series (The Legend of Drizzt with upwards of 40 books), so I can tell which order they go in.

However, now when I sort them by title, they appear numbered like shown in the title, e.g.
1, 10, 11, 12 . . . 2, 20, 21, 22, and so on.

Thanks
Keyword: Alphasort

The sort is by CHARACTER weight (position in the ASCII table),
not the numeric value of digits included in the string.

The common way to make strings sort is to pad the leading places (as needed to make the highest number sort).
eg.
highest number
500 then pad 00 for single digit, 000 if 0
20 then a single 0 pad

You could use a space (ASCII%20), but those are really hard to see if you counted right, on most screens.
FWIW I commonly steer folder sorts by using a leading number:0First (or force to the end:zMakethislast) lowercase sorts AFTER uppercase
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #6
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Keyword: Alphasort

The sort is by CHARACTER weight (position in the ASCII table),
not the numeric value of digits included in the string.

The common way to make strings sort is to pad the leading places (as needed to make the highest number sort).
eg.
highest number
500 then pad 00 for single digit, 000 if 0
20 then a single 0 pad

You could use a space (ASCII%20), but those are really hard to see if you counted right, on most screens.
FWIW I commonly steer folder sorts by using a leading number:0First (or force to the end:zMakethislast) lowercase sorts AFTER uppercase
Thanks That's interesting, I use the same thing with 0's and Z's too. Any idea how in this system to have a x.5 be sorted correctly after x instead of before? So like 2.5 should come AFTER 2. In my Linux Mint file explorer (nemo) this is an issue.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks That's interesting, I use the same thing with 0's and Z's too. Any idea how in this system to have a x.5 be sorted correctly after x instead of before? So like 2.5 should come AFTER 2. In my Linux Mint file explorer (nemo) this is an issue.
don't use the trailing period by itself
You need to maintain the most number of positions always

This is my Kindle METADATA Plugboard entry (I put the series name into collections as I have a K4, where that still works)
Code:
{series_index:0>5.2f|| - }{title}
02.50 - titlehere
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #8
ReaderGuy42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
don't use the trailing period by itself
You need to maintain the most number of positions always

This is my Kindle METADATA Plugboard entry (I put the series name into collections as I have a K4, where that still works)
Code:
{series_index:0>5.2f|| - }{title}
02.50 - titlehere
Thanks
Old 05-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
b) I'd like the sort order to be used on my reading device too, since I find navigating to be a little more difficult there.
It's possible to set up calibre so that the name of a book transferred to your device is generated from both the book name and the series name and number

[Edit: I think it's the metadata plugboard -- already mentioned by theducks]
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, sorting series