Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
DisableGraphics
DisableGraphics began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8
Question Some questions about the last kindle firmware update

I have heard that the last (or somewhere there) kindle firmware update featured a new UI change and I would like to ask some questions about it. (I'm sorry for these stupid questions I ask every time)

1 - Does the jailbreak survive to the update (I've applied the hotfix, btw) and in what devices, (to help some people who would have doubts about this) if it does?

2 - If it does, how should I update it? I've heard about having to update manually, is this correct?

3 - Is this UI worth the update?

4 - Do the KUAL Extensions I have (some based in GTK+, Alpine, etc...) continue working in this update or do I have to compile everything from scratch?
DisableGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
1. yes
2. yes, you can update it manually using the.bin file
3. no and yes, as this choice is purely subjective
4. yes KUAL will work.

considering you cannot go back once updated, I would give it quite a thought before going ahead with it.
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
Overlord
Overlord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I tried the new firmware and am totally not fine with it. I really don't like the new UI.

Is there a possibility to downgrade to the latest version with the last UI?

Greetz
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
I tried the new firmware and am totally not fine with it. I really don't like the new UI.

Is there a possibility to downgrade to the latest version with the last UI?

Greetz
Nope. You cannot go back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I noticed that the native keyboard behaves differently. It is being closed automatically when a new GTK Window/Dialog is opened within the app, so existing GTK apps using the native keyboard might not work correctly anymore. Example: Gargoyle interactive fiction interpreter.
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The editor Leafpad also does not work properly anymore, as soon as you click on the menu bar, the keyboard vanishes.
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, update