Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2024, 09:43 PM   #1
shyhermit
shyhermit began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Stylus 1 compatibility with Libra Colour?

Has anyone tried out to see if the Kobo Stylus 1 can still be used on the Kobo Libra Colour despite the official requirement from Kobo that only Stylus 2 is compatible with the device?

I found this on Kobobooks.com:

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections...ts/kobo-stylus

claiming that Stylus 1 is compatible with Libra Colour.

Several threads on Reddit claim that both Stylus 1 and Stylus 2 uses MPP (Microsoft Pen Protocol) so that it is cross-compatible, but the posts are thereafter conflicting. In fact, the Stylus 2 may be a rebranded Metapen Stylus Pen M2 made by the same manufacturer as an OEM supplier for Kobo.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	862.5 KB
ID:	208146
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2024, 11:16 PM   #3
shyhermit

Thanks, Cootey. In this case, why do you want the Stylus 2 for twice the price? Is it for the eraser and highlighter button? I actually prefer battery operated instead of rechargeable. The pen will become e-waste when the internal battery dies.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:13 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Stylus 1 compatibility with Libra Colour?

I’ll be honest with you. I preferred the highlight button on the stylus 1. I am constantly triggering the highlight button on the stylus 2 by accident because it’s so flush with the pen barrel, but I do prefer the eraser on the back of the stylus 2. In my hands, triggering the eraser button on the stylus 1 caused a cramped grip.

I’ve been looking over the Metapen Stylus Pen M2. I don’t know about its specs, but it looks identical to the stylus 2.

That being said, the tips on the stylus 1 wore out quickly with use. Even a few days of use could see marked degradation in the tip. That’s not the case for the stylus 2 tip. Also, I prefer the USB charge port as opposed to the AAAA batteries. The new stylus is lighter because of it. It seems more accurate to me, as well.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:56 AM   #5
shyhermit

Cootey, your feedback is extremely helpful. Sounds like there is substantial quality of life improvement in the Stylus 2 with day-to-day use to justify the added cost. Saw a lot of posts on Reddit about Metapen Stylus Pen M2 because people don't want to pay the high price charged by Kobo but liked the new functionality of the improved stylus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I’ll be honest with you. I preferred the highlight button on the stylus 1. I am constantly triggering the highlight button on the stylus 2 by accident because it’s so flush with the pen barrel, but I do prefer the eraser on the back of the stylus 2. In my hands, triggering the eraser button on the stylus 1 caused a cramped grip.

I’ve been looking over the Metapen Stylus Pen M2. I don’t know about its specs, but it looks identical to the stylus 2.

That being said, the tips on the stylus 1 wore out quickly with use. Even a few days of use could see marked degradation in the tip. That’s not the case for the stylus 2 tip. Also, I prefer the USB charge port as opposed to the AAAA batteries. The new stylus is lighter because of it. It seems more accurate to me, as well.
Advert
Old 05-09-2024, 07:11 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
Thanks, Cootey. In this case, why do you want the Stylus 2 for twice the price? Is it for the eraser and highlighter button? I actually prefer battery operated instead of rechargeable. The pen will become e-waste when the internal battery dies.
Yes, and the AAAA cells can be as cheap as 25c, drawer life of 5 to 10 years and in pen life of 3 to 6 months or more.
Some 9V rectangle Alkaline packs (cheap brands) use 6 cells usable as AAAA (the nub is actually - on them and they have no fake + nub, so leave the foil connection on the flat + end to make a nub). The more expensive higher capacity may use oval stacked cells. No Zinc type has round cells, because they use carbon biscuit layer cells.

Rechargeable have a fraction of run time, about 250 to 600 cycles, may self discharge and are not usually replaceable.

Wacom pens are remote induction powered by phone/ereader/tablet/digitizer add-on and can be buggy. They don't work on Kobo. Surface 1 & 2 used them but MS Surface 3 and later uses the same as Kobo, though some have an extra BT button for OneNote etc.a
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:13 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
You must be pressing too hard. After 6 months there is no noticeable wear.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:38 PM   #8
shyhermit

Can someone explain to me this seemingly discordant "factoid"?

The new Stylus 2 was just announced in April 2024. In Canada, the product is being distributed by Indigo and is still currently on pre-order only and will not be released until later this month (in May).

However, the same stylus has apparently been available with Kobo Elipsa 2E as a bundle for a while, but the Elipsa 2E came out long ago before the new Libra and Clara. So how is this new stylus bundled available back then?

Did I get wrong on the release timing of this new stylus?
Old 05-09-2024, 02:52 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Inexplicable. The mysteries of international retail. The original Kobo Pen was also bundled with the original Elipsa. The Sage never had a bundled pen, despite having the same features as an Elipsa and a higher pixel count screen. The Sage actually works better for Advanced Notebooks than the original Elipsa.

Also the Libra doesn't work with the pen, but the Libra 2 does work, but has no support except in Sketchpad where it can erase or do fatter strokes.

Edit:
Also random use of internal SD cards vs EMMC for storage per model?

Last edited by Quoth; 05-09-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:06 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Can someone explain to me this seemingly discordant "factoid"?

The new Stylus 2 was just announced in April 2024. In Canada, the product is being distributed by Indigo and is still currently on pre-order only and will not be released until later this month (in May).

However, the same stylus has apparently been available with Kobo Elipsa 2E as a bundle for a while, but the Elipsa 2E came out long ago before the new Libra and Clara. So how is this new stylus bundled available back then?

Did I get wrong on the release timing of this new stylus?
It's only "new-er" not new. It came with my Elipsa 2E.

This also is a very nice alternative for use with the Libra Colour, Sage and both versions of the Elipsa. It too provides battery status when tapping on the battery icon with its nib.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0987J23K1...ding=UTF8&th=1
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:55 AM   #11
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You must be pressing too hard. After 6 months there is no noticeable wear.

That’s a large assumption. Some of the nibs wear down faster than others. I like when they’re pointy, and I can see the point wearing away with use.

That being said, I use the nibs for quite some time before replacing them. I don’t bear down on them hard because that leaves residual traces of the nib on the surface of the Elipsa.

This nib hasn’t been changed in almost a year. Not so pointy.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3901.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	624.9 KB
ID:	208166
Old 05-10-2024, 06:31 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

None of the nibs I have (Kobo or others) are pointy when new. They are all rounded somewhat like a Pentel rollerball pen.

They should not be pointy. My original and oldest Kobo nib is looking the same as the unused spare ones I bought from Kobo. Not long after the original Elipsa was released.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:12 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Does anyone with a Libra Colour and NOTEBOOK cover know if the stylus 1 fits OK in that?
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 01:14 AM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Does anyone with a Libra Colour and NOTEBOOK cover know if the stylus 1 fits OK in that?
No. It is too large in diameter and does not adhere magnetically. If you don't want to spend $$ on the 2nd gen Kobo stylus, I also have this stylus and it fits perfectly & magnetically:

https://www.amazon.com/RENAISSER-Sen...s%2C225&sr=8-4

The newer version (530) has a tail eraser like the ver.2 Kobo:
https://www.amazon.com/RENAISSER-Sen...s%2C225&sr=8-3

Last edited by Skydog; 05-11-2024 at 01:33 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 10:54 AM   #15
SilentPartner
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Has anyone tried out to see if the Kobo Stylus 1 can still be used on the Kobo Libra Colour despite the official requirement from Kobo that only Stylus 2 is compatible with the device?

I found this on Kobobooks.com:

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections...ts/kobo-stylus

claiming that Stylus 1 is compatible with Libra Colour.

Several threads on Reddit claim that both Stylus 1 and Stylus 2 uses MPP (Microsoft Pen Protocol) so that it is cross-compatible, but the posts are thereafter conflicting. In fact, the Stylus 2 may be a rebranded Metapen Stylus Pen M2 made by the same manufacturer as an OEM supplier for Kobo.
I tried the Metapen Stylus M2 and not all functions work. Yes, you can write. Erasing with the tip of the pen on a book is a hit and miss. More often, it was flipping the page. I could not use it to underline. I returned it.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote