Notices

Old 11-16-2016, 04:16 AM   #1
Dalcyks
Dalcyks doesn't litterDalcyks doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Add empty MD file to book

I'd love to see an "Add empty MD" option added to the:
Add Books > Add an empty file to selected book records

I'm also very curious if the contents of those "empty" files is somehow user-definable (a template maybe?). I noticed that the "empty" TXT file contains the books' current metadata title. Is this defined somewhere?

For me, it would be helpful if the "empty" MD could contain a full metadata header in the appropriate format.

Thank you everyone for all you contribute to both Calibre and its users.
Dalcyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you add an empty record without using any file, then under the covers you will see that Calibre has added a .opf file containing a copy of the metadata for that book mirroring what is in the Calibre database record for the book.

What are you looking for that is different to this behaviour?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Dalcyks

In each MD I create, I include a standard Markdown metadata block (based on Calibres' implementation of the Markdown 'Meta' extension) and an initial "# title / ##### source" pair. Having this inserted into each "empty" file created would save that typing/cut-n-paste.

In general, being able to custom template the contents of each new "empty" file, would be fantastic. Calibre already seems to do some of this, i.e. the empty ePub comes pre-formatted with title, etc. Additionally, starting off the content-creation process without having to stare at an ACTUAL BLANK FILE provides a small psychological boost *grin*.

Thanks for the heads-up on the .opf. I'll have to go explore that !
Old 11-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What happens if you convert the empty epub into a text file? The conversion will add/update the metadata in a lot of the book formats. I don't know if it will do this if TXT is the output format (and I can't test at the moment).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Dalcyks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What happens if you convert the empty epub into a text file?
Interestingly (to me, anyway), the TXT file will contain TITLE, NUM/SERIES, AUTHOR, a 3-asterisk scene break and the TITLE again.

This still doesn't get me much closer to having an empty book with an MD format in it. In the previous post, I was musing about the possibilities of having some user-defined content control of the "empty" formats when they are created.

As a note, I've had much more success getting Calibre to do consistent Markdown processing for an MD format than for a TXT format that contains Markdown. This is why I'd prefer to create an MD format specifically when I create the book.
Advert
Old 11-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you're able to do a bit of coding, post a request in the Developer's subforum asking how to add another format to the list (AZW3, DOCX, EPUB, TXT) in the Add an Empty Book dialogue

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The list of "valid_empty_formats" is contained in "src/calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/create.py", as is the method used to create said empty formats. Each format needs to be implemented separately, although in theory I guess a conversion could be used to handle any format???

Still, it should be easy to hack in MD by treating it exactly like TXT.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote