Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 04:32 AM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I like it a lot; particularly the option of displaying two documents side-by-side in landscape mode. That's incredibly useful when I'm working on my ancient Egyptian texts: I can have the text I'm working on and my hieroglyphic dictionary open side by side, just as I would with paper books. It's a paid for option in the app, but one that's well worth the money for me.
I went ahead and got Goodreader's pro option. I don't have a particular need for any of the options, but I like to support the app writers with such purchases so they will continue supporting the app. Did the same with Marvin 3. I mostly read magazines with it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #32
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I read very fast and the small screen of the regular devices (6") fatigues me on flipping pages (I also need a rather big size for fonts to read without glasses).
The iPad Pro 12.9" is ideal for this, in particular with stationary uses, less in bus or other public transportation excepting plane and train, where one has his/her own place to sit and hopefully a table before.
Just curious, why does flipping pages fatigue you? it's not like you're lifting 10 pounds each time you swipe/tap.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #33
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've never bought from iBooks. I buy from Amazon, Kobo or Nook then read on the official app if the book is something I want to read right away. I just download on PC and deDRM later for posterity.

Granted, for the past 3-4 years, I haven't really bought new books. I've mostly just been reading fanfics in EPUB downloaded directly from AO3. They do offer MOBI downloads as well but
  1. navigating AO3's website via the Paperwhite's experimental browser is a major pain, and
  2. AO3's MOBI downloads don't have a TOC so it's actually easier to download the EPUB and convert via Calibre to get to the next chapter than trying to navigate the AO3 MOBI on the PW3.

Now that I've jailbroken and have KOReader installed though, I can browse AO3 and download the EPUB to Dropbox on my iPhone/iPad, and then use KOReader on my PW3/4 to download and read the EPUB directly. I can leave the conversion to MOBI/AZW3 for later (prettified with cover and metadata).
What is AO3?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
What is AO3?
Archive Of Our Own (fanfiction site)
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #35
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Just curious, why does flipping pages fatigue you? it's not like you're lifting 10 pounds each time you swipe/tap.
I, too, moved to a larger device due to the constant page turning swipe/tap - it interrupts my reading so that I have to refocus, and causes me eye fatigue.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #36
kyrilson
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I, too, moved to a larger device due to the constant page turning swipe/tap - it interrupts my reading so that I have to refocus, and causes me eye fatigue.

Ahh, that makes sense!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Do you not find the considerable weight of the iPad to be physically fatiguing? I read PDFs on mine, for which it's ideally suited, but I don't read fiction on it, because it is a large and heavy device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #38
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Do you not find the considerable weight of the iPad to be physically fatiguing? I read PDFs on mine, for which it's ideally suited, but I don't read fiction on it, because it is a large and heavy device.
Only if you carry the full weight. I usually have mine propped up against something so for the most part, I only touch it to turn pages.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #39
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you absolutely can only have one, the ipad will work for you. You just have to figure out how to deal with the weight issue. My cousin's ex sits a pillow on her lap to hold the ipad up to where she wants it. Ipad is all she has.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #40
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
I use an iPad mini for most of my reading as it is nearly the perfect device to me. It is light and the screen is wonderful. I also have a standard iPad with cellular data service that is my traveler. Weight is a little more than the mini but not onerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #41
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've never had a problem with the weight, and I keep mine in a leather cover. Most of the time, I read with it in my lap, just like a book. But then again, I'm a fairly big guy who works out a lot. Weight of the device has never been an issue for me.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Apple announced the long expected Apple event at the end of March. It's rumored that Apple will announce a new iPad Mini. Hopefully, it's going to be an upgrade worth buying. This event seems to be video oriented.