Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Try Open Office/Libre Office with the writer2EPUB PI and see if the results are good enough. Since it cost many Zeros, all you lose is time to try
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #32
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Not yet sleeping. I have nothing against toxaris. He deserves my respect to share his hard work with us. It is only the tool that doesn't work the way I want and I don't want to enter in beta testing mode for a tool I do not plan to use at least as it is working currently.

I have been able to automate everything except Word to HTML. So, yes if I am extremely cautious of what I do in Word, with a template, and I do always the same thing regarding the format, I am convinced to be able to automate this process, soon or late. I will not become rich though, this process will work only for my eBooks. But that's OK, I don't need more.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Try Open Office/Libre Office with the writer2EPUB PI and see if the results are good enough. Since it cost many Zeros, all you lose is time to try
Time for me is more important than money, you can win a lot of money, you can loose it as well. You will never recover the time you loose. I will probably give it a try just for fun. I am business oriented but hopefully the fun interferes often. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is one other thing you can try that's not yet been mentioned. Toxaris has a Word Macro (in the ePub forum) that cleans Word output. I've not tried it. But you can give it a go and see how you get on with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Thanks JSWolf. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
Thanks JSWolf. I appreciate your help.
Your welcome. Please let us know how you get on with the macro.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #37
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I actually did use/test drive Word2HTML. The fact that I am not using it anymore should say enough. It does not fit my purposes. For one thing I do not want to add another tool. One other thing is that it did not work with Word styles and some more. I forgot, too long ago. It looked promising, but not enough.

Quite honest I am a bit offended by your remarks with regards to my add-in. To state that it does not work or is immature is not reflecting the truth or the actual situation. It does work as it is documented. That you expect more, fine, no problem. I actually said that you could create enhancement request and that I would take a look at it. I am always looking to improve, when it really adds something.
The current version only has one bug and that one is not very big, only a bit annoying and easily fixed. Actually, I was under the impression that it was already fixed in the version on my site. However, I am withholding a new version to build in some additional enhancements, at least one mentioned by you.
You are not beta-testing, I am. Most of the core functionality I use for many months/years already to full satisfaction. It can do much, much more that Word2HTML, as the actual HTML conversion/ePUB creation are the last steps. It is meant as a full shop toolset to clean up and fix Word documents from scan to a simple ePUB. The ePUB can then be finalized in Sigil. Let me say, there is NO tool out there with the same functionality as my toolset.

I work on this on my own as a hobby to help ME with my books creation. If others want to use it, fine. If others not, also fine. But, I also have a fulltime job and a family that needs attention. I cannot always respond within hours or even days. I try though.

If no bug reports are given, I cannot solve them. It is fun though, that I also published this on a dutch forum (an earlier version) and got a lot of feedback from the few people using it. Here it is downloaded much more and almost no feedback...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #38
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Hi,abeonis,
I'm not sure my ePub Maker & Mobi Maker can do your work, it's designed for Word to ePub/Mobi, for professional epublishing solution.
This tool has been release for three years, and sold very well, but strangely, nobody knows it in this forum.
If you would like to try the beta version of 2.0, I can send you complimentary license.
Please vist www.epingsoft.com and contact me.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
This is all fascinating. But still so clearly misplaced.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #40
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Hi eping,

If you followed the thread, there are so many tools to evaluate! I remember when I was solving a mathematical equation and was not able to reduce it, it was always because I did something wrong at some time. I feel the same now, and probably Hitch is right (once more). I need a break, calm down the stress, and reach a higher level of reflexion. I know where I am, where I want to go, the journey between both is not yet 100% clear.

I thank you for your offer. Maybe I will start evaluating your tool later on. In the meantime maybe you have a test case with a .docx and the resulting .epub you would like to share?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #41
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Sorry DiapDealer, I feel badly responsible of the intrusion in this forum. Toxaris, I continue this discussion in your thread.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #42
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
However it still takes me too long to create an ePub/MOB/KF8 due to the Word to HTML bottleneck. I need to automate this.....

I build business eBooks with a lot of lists, notes and warning blocks, tables, images etc.
I certainly appreciate your desire for a quick & clean creation of html from Word, I see two problems here. The first is the need to automate: auto conversions don't ever seem to work very well, as witness all the complaints on the KDP forums about InDesign, Createspace, PDFs, not to mention Microsoft Word! Why not suck it up and determine to put a bit of work into your e-books? With 2,000,000 Kindle editions out there, supposedly increasing at the rate of 100,000 a month, the last thing we need is a new spate of five-minute wonders to dilute the market.

The other impediment is your "lists, notes and warning blocks, tables, images etc". E-books just aren't a very friendly environment for that sort of complexity.

I use word2cleanhtml.com online (not word2html). It is very nearly perfect, with a few quirks that soon become old friends and easy to fix. You do need to add a style sheet and put it in a template or frame of some sort.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Not yet sleeping. I have nothing against toxaris. He deserves my respect to share his hard work with us. It is only the tool that doesn't work the way I want and I don't want to enter in beta testing mode for a tool I do not plan to use at least as it is working currently.

I have been able to automate everything except Word to HTML. So, yes if I am extremely cautious of what I do in Word, with a template, and I do always the same thing regarding the format, I am convinced to be able to automate this process, soon or late. I will not become rich though, this process will work only for my eBooks. But that's OK, I don't need more.
Atlantis word processor has a batch mode that can convert your file. They also have a free trial period. However, they do not support tables. The text in the table is transferred but table structure is not. You will need to reassemble the table in Sigil.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 06-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #44
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Atlantis word processor has a batch mode that can convert your file. They also have a free trial period. However, they do not support tables. The text in the table is transferred but table structure is not. You will need to reassemble the table in Sigil.
Hi DaleDe.

I understand that Sigil's mission is to be the best epub editor. It is, and by far. IMHO, no discussion, I do need Sigil. Shame its developpers, according to this mission, don't want to expand their know-how to other spaces. I understand, up to us to find the complement. It seems you were right. I answered to your post in the appropriate thread.

Thanks.