Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
giang
giang began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 2
Adapter problem for Boox Note 2

Hi you all!
I have just bought the Note 2, and then discovered that there was no official adapter along with the package, which is a bit sad I currently have 3 leftovers, an Amazon Kindle adapter, a 5V 1.55A Samsung one for my old tablet and a 5V 3.6A (Max) Sony portable charger. Which one should I use to charge my Note 2, as I have read stories about how people got their device exploded or the battery swelled up because of incompatible adapter, and I will be using this for my uni duration, so I want to make sure everything is perfect. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by giang; 05-19-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Just want to say hello
giang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Use the strongest 5V adapter that fits the cable.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
giang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Use the strongest 5V adapter that fits the cable.
Ty for your response! By strongest, did you mean the adapter with the highest A, which is the 3.6A Samsung one? Can you tell me why? I'm guessing because the device can automatically adjust the current to lower level, but can't increase it right?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giang View Post
Ty for your response! By strongest, did you mean the adapter with the highest A, which is the 3.6A Samsung one? Can you tell me why? I'm guessing because the device can automatically adjust the current to lower level, but can't increase it right?
The device takes what it needs, not what can be delivered.
If the charger is too weak, it may be destroyed.
My Nova2 shows 5V / 3A
Old 05-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
elhnad
elhnad began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
still a vague answer

by strongest do you mean
like best brand, feel of the quality of the wire?
elhnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
giang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The device takes what it needs, not what can be delivered.
If the charger is too weak, it may be destroyed.
Do you know why it may be destroyed? I thought with a weaker current, the battery would be heating weaker?

But, in conclusion, I should use the 3.6A right?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by giang View Post
Do you know why it may be destroyed? I thought with a weaker current, the battery would be heating weaker?
Not the charger determines, but the battery charging electronics - and if it demands what goes beyond the performance of the charger, the charger can get hot and also burn
Quote:
But, in conclusion, I should use the 3.6A right?
Yes.
In general: do not use a charger that is too weak.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #8
Dollynho
Dollynho began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2
Thumbs up

The original adapter has the following info:
Quote:
INPUT: 100-240V~ 50/60Hz 0.8A

OUTPUT: 5V-3A/ 9V-2.66A/ 12V-2A
So as pointed, any decent power adapter capable of delivering over 3Amps at 5V should work. Since you asked for models, I am using my Motorola Z2 wall adapter (Model SC-28) without any issues .

The problem that some people have is with Quick Charge technology (Qualcomm) which changes the voltage to charge it faster.
I am not an expert on the subject but when I understand the Boox devices do not deal well with these charges, they are not compatible.
Maybe the newer QC 4 and 4+ version work, I don't know.

I think onyx should really make it clear about the specifications, and if it's compatible with QC, etc.
Dollynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

The new Onyx devices with USB-C are QC3.0 compatible