Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
Onyx Boox C67ML Questions

Hi all

I have been using an Onyx Boox C67ML for a few months now and though I mostly love it there are some things which are really bugging me:

First problem: after 5-10 page turns the next time I try to turn the page wether using a button or the touchscreen the ebook goes back a few pages instead of forward! This is a huge annoyance. Does anyone else have this problem and know how to get rid of it? BTW this happens with Epubs, Pdfs and Mobi books.

Second problem: can one change the configuration of the buttons? I really want the forward button to be on the left side as I am lefthanded and it is always a pain trying to reach the other side. Or can one change the configuration of the touchscreen so that pressing on the left turns a page forward? Really miss this feature from my old pocketbooks.

3rd problem: the reader takes so long to start that I have it in Standby the whole time so that it is on rightaway when I need it. However this does cost a lot of battery life so that more often than not, especially considering it is an einkreader, the battery is empty. Any workaround for this? I would not mind waiting a few seconds but the half a minute to a minute the reader takes to start is really too long I find. Also the automotic turning on/off using the Cover does not work if it is turned off completely.

4th problem: the brightness is always automatically on when I turn the ebookreader on. Can I change this setting so that I would have to turn it on when I want to? Because this costs a lot of battery especially on daylight where one does not see if the backlight is on or not.

These few problems aside: love the thing! Definitely is very fast and powerful even when it comes to handling heavy PDF science files.

Any help is very welcome!

901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #2
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
1. That happens to me occasionally. I mean... inreally rare cases it goes one page back instead of forward. That may be some physical issue in your case. Does it happen when using touch screen to go forward?
2. There is nothing like that in the default firmware. I'm not sure if there is maybe some android tool allowing to remap keys.
3. You can't do too much about this. The startup time is what it is. The standby heavily depends on how many and what apps have you installed on the device. I have recently wiped my device and without any additional apps it survived 8 days on standby (no reading, just checking the battery once per day) and even during this time there was a day when it all fo sudden went down by 50%.
4. This was a problem for me too. I have recently upgraded to the 1.7.3 version taken from Onyx Int and now the setting works as expected - the device does not bring light on after start.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
mohammad.8112
mohammad.8112 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox c67ml
i have a c67ml
now have question about this product
is use very of a2 refreshing not have problem for ereader
mean i every day can use a2 refreshing for work
thank you
mohammad.8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Pearl display should sustain 10M updates. How many times it is refreshed in A2 mode when you scroll the page? I don't know. If this is even 10K updates per day (which is probably too high estimation) then the display should be fine for the first 3 years.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
mohammad.8112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulek View Post
Pearl display should sustain 10M updates. How many times it is refreshed in A2 mode when you scroll the page? I don't know. If this is even 10K updates per day (which is probably too high estimation) then the display should be fine for the first 3 years.
I do not understand you
Continued use of a2 refreh no problem?

Last edited by mohammad.8112; 09-18-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
bulek
Enthusiast

I don't know how many times your display refreshes in A2 mode. The expected lifetime for your display is 10 millions updates.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
mohammad.8112

I don't know too
Namely a2 mode is limited?
so i disappointed
Old 09-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
mohammad.8112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulek View Post
I don't know how many times your display refreshes in A2 mode. The expected lifetime for your display is 10 millions updates.
after 10 milion update
I have the screen what to do?
Should I switch?
Old 09-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
mohammad.8112

A2 is not refreshing whole screen at all and creating immediatelly ghost of preview picture. This mode has partial screen refresh. It is more similar to default mode than A2. It can prolong device lifetime too, because screen is updating less often.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
btux
btux began at the beginning.

Device: C67ML
Quote:
Second problem: can one change the configuration of the buttons? I really want the forward button to be on the left side as I am lefthanded and it is always a pain trying to reach the other side. Or can one change the configuration of the touchscreen so that pressing on the left turns a page forward? Really miss this feature from my old pocketbooks.
You can definetly do that by changing the keymap file. Just look how to change keymappings in android. I fear you need the device to be rooted - otherwise you do not get write access to the keymap file.
btux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:40 AM   #11
neilday
neilday began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 650, Boox C67ml, KindlePW3
re-configuration of page turn buttons is easily done in Moonreader!
neilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
Thank you all for your help. I have now been trying to update the C67ml for ages now and no matter which way I use: with Microsd or from local cloud there comes the message: package verify failed. How can I get around that and finally get some new firmware??!!

Thanks
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #13
neilday

Hi, I was getting this same error message. Support got me to try lots of different things: re-copying update, naming it with and without extension and several other steps which I don't now recall. The step that finally resolved the problem was simple: I removed the external sd card beforeI ran the update from internal storage and the update worked ok.

Hope this works for you .. very simple solution!

Cheers

Neil.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #14
DavidTC
Connoisseur
DavidTC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Boox C67ML
The easiest way to deal with keymapping on the C67ML:

1) Go to http://repo.xposed.info/ and find the Xposed Framework apk. Enable the framework in the app, reboot.
2) Go into the Framework app, find the Xposed Additions app, follow to Google Play (Or just find it on Google Play.), buy and install it. (I believe this was $4?) Then go *back* to app and enable it, and reboot.
3) Go into the Xposed Additions app.

Now you can remap all buttons, and all the long presses. And double and triple presses. (And double and triple long presses? Huh?)

You can even remap them individually per-app, and on the lockscreen vs. in an app, and everything. And if you need more configurability, you can map them directly to Tasker tasks, so basically can make them do anything if you use Tasker.

In addition to the button remapping, there is a nice Gesture app to let you add those, and a App Setting app that lets you turn off the status bar and force orientation in various apps. Both free, although I think you need to have bought Xposed Additions already. Browse around inside the Xposed Installer. IMHO, well worth $4.

Only possible hiccup in the button remapping on the C67ML: As far as I can tell, now that I've installed this, the volume/page toggle on the status bar does nothing anymore. The left and right buttons are the same no matter which state it is in. As I was not using that toggle and regarded it as a nuisance instead of anything useful, I have not looked into solving this. If you need volume keys, I would suggest mapping left/right long press or double press to them instead.

Another weird thing: For some reason, the button on the left really *is* page up, and the button on right is page down. I thought that was just some weird glitch that sometimes happened to me, but, nope, it's how the buttons are labelled in the mapper too. But that's easy to fix.

Last edited by DavidTC; 01-19-2016 at 10:39 PM.
DavidTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #15
neilday

Anyone had any problem with changing font and background colours with MoonReaderPro since update "Firmware for C67ML Series V1.7.4_rc1 20151214"? I can't set an effective "nightmode" with white font on dark background. The problem occurs only with Epub files (pdfs still allow change of font colour). The problem doesn't occur with the same book file and identical Moonreader Pro settings on two other android devices: Samsung tablet Note 10.1 and Samsung Galaxy phone NoteIII. This inclines me to put the issue down to C67ml ... so I am curious to see if any other users of this device have encountered the same problem.
Cheers
Neil.