Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Nook and Sun fade?

I currently own a Sony PRS505 and love it but it does suffer from the "Sun Fade" issue. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem with their Nook?
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I spent all Saturday morning on my deck in the morning sun while my reading my nook. I really enjoyed how there was no issues reading the nook in the sun. I was wearing my polarized sunglasses as well for a few hours with no issues either.

I live in the Seattle area but I swear the ball in the sky must have been the Sun; I can recognize it even if sightings are rare.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's really weird... some days I can read with direct overhead sunlight and nothing happens other days I'll get the sun fade. It's very noticeable when part of the screen is in shadow.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I currently own a Sony PRS505 and love it but it does suffer from the "Sun Fade" issue. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem with their Nook?
I had the 505 for almost a year, and hated the sun fade issue. I live in LA, and read outside all the time at the beach or by a pool. I actually sold my 505 and bought a nook last month, and haven't had a single problem with fading. Although - warning - 3G access is dangerous, and i've bought so many more books from bn.com than I did from sony - it's just too easy when you don't have to connect a reader to a computer to get new books!
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I've had the 505 for about 16 months and have read the posts about sun fade (also this one) on various devices. I understood from the various threads and posters that it was due to a "bad batch" of screens by LG which were used on a variety of brands of e-ink devices and not on just one brand.

I've never had the sun fade problem on my screen. I read outside everyday in nice weather. The only thing I notice is that the leather cover gets very warm. It is usually 90 degrees plus outside and I sit with my back to the sun (but the sun is on the screen of my Reader).

It seems to not be a brand problem but which batch of the e-ink screens were used on your device problem.

Last edited by dreams; 05-11-2010 at 03:01 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I read outside on my lunch break and have never noticed any fading issues.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
just_jeepin
Addict

Since I read outside fairly often, a Nook is beginning to sound very nice. I'll have to go to my local Best Buy to play with one.