Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Nook is running out...but not as fast as you might expect?

Just got this email from B&N this morning (as I'm sure all other pre-orderers have):

Quote:
Dear nook Customer:

Congratulations on being among the first to order nook!

Demand for nook has exceeded all expectations and we're really excited about the enthusiastic response. The good news is that you should expect your device to ship on or around November 30th, as previously communicated. Starting today, October 30th (12:01am ET), anyone pre-ordering a nook should expect their device to ship on or around December 7th, still well in time for the holidays.

We expect the demand to continue to be heavy through the holiday season, and we are operating strictly on a first-come, first-serve basis.

We're committed to updating our customers on expected nook availability and will do so through our stores, online at nook.com, and by email.

Thank you for being one of the first to order!

William J. Lynch
President of BN.com
It's been available for a week now, and they've only sold the first week's allotment? Not sure what that means, but they either have a million of them ready to go (learned from Amazon's mistake) or there really just isn't much interest.

As I keep finding out more and more about this device, the less and less I think it is for me (I've gotten over the glare on the Sony Touch and am leaning toward that). But, I have until Christmas, so I'm going to wait and see.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
It's been available for a week now, and they've only sold the first week's allotment? Not sure what that means, but they either have a million of them ready to go (learned from Amazon's mistake) or there really just isn't much interest.
It could mean that they can only handle shipping one million units a week. It could mean that the marketing department suggested making it look like people were snapping them up. It could mean that they're expecting to run out of shipping labels. It could mean they have to wait for the stars to align correctly.

In fact, it could mean anything at all. Or nothing. Reading tea leaves is rarely productive, especially when all you have is coffee.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I wonder how many weeks of shipments they're going to do like this before the actual device is available in stores . . . I also wonder how fast stores will sell out. Could be like the Wii or the Kindle, where as soon as you order one they sell out, and you end up waiting weeks and weeks for yours to ship.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
avwh
avwh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, they can try to make it look like "you have to order it NOW if you want it in time for Christmas", but I'm not falling for it.

Until they have an operations manual online, a broader, cheaper selection of ebooks, and actual units I can see and use in stores, my hard-earned money stays in my wallet.
avwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avwh View Post
Well, they can try to make it look like "you have to order it NOW if you want it in time for Christmas", but I'm not falling for it.

Until they have an operations manual online, a broader, cheaper selection of ebooks, and actual units I can see and use in stores, my hard-earned money stays in my wallet.
Guess you don't want one by Christmas
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
avwh
avwh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Guess you don't want one by Christmas
Not if it means I'm leaping before I look.

I'm not spending hundreds of dollars more for ebooks than with a competing ereader, just because the Nook looks cool.
avwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
One has to wonder how much they'll make in restocking fees as folks return their Nooks.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
One has to wonder how much they'll make in restocking fees as folks return their Nooks.

cheers
What I plan to do is when I get mine in the mail I won't open it until I see it at the store. I'll play around with it there to see if I like it or not and if I don't i'll just return it without paying a penalty.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
What I plan to do is when I get mine in the mail I won't open it until I see it at the store. I'll play around with it there to see if I like it or not and if I don't i'll just return it without paying a penalty.
from what I understand you'll still be paying that fee
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

Can I return my nook?
X Yes. You can return nook within 14 days of receipt. Either call 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) for a return authorization or return it to any Barnes & Noble store. A 10% restocking fee will be charged to customers returning a non-defective device that has had its shrink wrap removed and/or seal broken.

As long as the shrink wrap is not been removed it should be able to be returned without the fee.

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 10-30-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I plan to do. If popularity does take off, I might even use 7 of those 14 days to try and flip it on eBay
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:41 AM   #12
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I plan to do. If popularity does take off, I might even use 7 of those 14 days to try and flip it on eBay
Haha wow that's a good idea! I didn't even think of that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
As previously mentioned the restocking fee is only if you open it. Just hope the BN near you has a sample unit.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ok, my bad misunderstanding
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Just remember that there is a 14-day return policy at B&n and it isn't clear when the 14 days begins to run. I suspect it will start from the day B&N shipped the nook, not the day you received it.

EDIT: According to the quote in an earlier post, the 14 days runs from day of receipt.

Last edited by rhadin; 10-31-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: correct misinformation
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote