Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
kelchm
kelchm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Exclamation So who else doesn't have a local library that supports Overdrive?

Spent a little bit of time playing around with the overdrive search.

Turns out NONE of the local libraries from my home town (Gettysburg PA) or where I go to school (Lehigh University) support Overdrive. Annoying.

Anyone else in the same boat?
kelchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Virtually the entire population of Europe, to name but a few .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
THANKS for the link! I have 23 libraries!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
It gives me about 200 options--not a single one near me or one I could get a library card for. But I live in Nowheresville, IL, so go figure.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
It gives me about 200 options--not a single one near me or one I could get a library card for. But I live in Nowheresville, IL, so go figure.
We might just live in the same town!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm planning a road trip to Sacramento, California so I can get a card there.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
No Overdrive library here, but the library that I'm a member of (The Hague) has a partnership with www.netlibrary.com and they use ePub + DRM, which will work with my PRS-700

So Europe isn't completely cut off from ebooks via libraries!

I still have to go sign up (can only do that at the library, not directly online), I wonder how big their English collection is. They mention their Dutch collection is only about 300 titles, but I read mostly in English anyway.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelchm View Post
Spent a little bit of time playing around with the overdrive search.

Turns out NONE of the local libraries from my home town (Gettysburg PA) or where I go to school (Lehigh University) support Overdrive. Annoying.

Anyone else in the same boat?
You don't always need your local town to have a local library that supports eBooks via Overdrive. Just find a library close enough and get a card from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hey you go to Lehigh? Small world, I live about ten minutes from you. I'm in the same boat. Bethlehem Library doesn't have any ebooks at all. BUT as long as you are a PA resident, and have your own local library card, you can take out books at any other library in PA. I haven't checked to see which one is closest to here that has them, but that is always a possibility. It's called a PA access card, and they put a little blue sticker on the back of it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
kelchm
kelchm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hey you go to Lehigh? Small world, I live about ten minutes from you. I'm in the same boat. Bethlehem Library doesn't have any ebooks at all. BUT as long as you are a PA resident, and have your own local library card, you can take out books at any other library in PA. I haven't checked to see which one is closest to here that has them, but that is always a possibility. It's called a PA access card, and they put a little blue sticker on the back of it.
Yeah, I go to Lehigh. If you should happen to come up with a good solution let me know.

The closest in state library on the list is in Lancaster, but I'm not sure I can actually get a card from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't always need your local town to have a local library that supports eBooks via Overdrive. Just find a library close enough and get a card from there.
Well, I think the general rule is you either have to live, work or own property wherever the library is. Some libraries also offer the ability to just pay a one time or yearly fee. Right? Perhaps I'm missing something, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiot View Post
No Overdrive library here, but the library that I'm a member of (The Hague) has a partnership with www.netlibrary.com and they use ePub + DRM, which will work with my PRS-700
Ah. Lehigh uses netlibrary but no epub option here.

Last edited by kelchm; 09-01-2009 at 11:45 PM.
kelchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Most libraries post their requirements for getting a library card on their website. Some require that you live locally. Some, you only have to live in the same state. And some will give you a card that expires for a fee. Check out their websites and if you still have questions send them an email.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
My local library uses Overdrive... but it's audio-books only.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
gravescp
gravescp is on a distinguished road

Device: iphone
Portland, Oregon's area libraries go with netlibrary.com, but the catalog is pretty sparse. Mostly how-to books and reference manuals...no fiction :-(
gravescp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
My local library uses Overdrive... but it's audio-books only.
Mine too. They do Audiobooks, Videos & Music but no ebooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
According to the Sony Library Finder, no libary in Oregon has ebooks through Overdrive. My local one offers audiobooks and video downloads.

Oregon isn't even on the pull-down menu.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote