Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
DR vs DX

This may be a little premature, but I was just wondering how many potential and current DR owners out there have decided to get the Kindle DX, or if not, how many current users wish they had. For current users: if you had the option of the new Kindle when you got your DR, would you pick the DR again?

I realize we don't yet know everything about the new Kindle, but we do know a thing or two and we do know the price. If the price were not a concern, I would pick the DR again in an eyeblink, but I wonder what expandable memory, folder navigation, open firmware and the wacom stylus are worth.

Of course, since I've already got the DR, I'm sticking with it, and gladly But I was wondering if we lost any hardcore fans.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-10-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I would never buy a device without folder management - this feature is crucial to me; that's why devices like ipod or kindle are just pieces of useless junk (imho)
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
This may be a little premature, but I was just wondering how many potential and current DR owners out there have decided to get the Kindle DX, or if not, how many current users wish they had. For current users: if you had the option of the new Kindle when you got your DR, would you pick the DR again?

I realize we don't yet know everything about the new Kindle, but we do know a thing or two and we do know the price. If the price were not a concern, I would pick the DR again in an eyeblink, but I wonder what expandable memory, folder navigation, open firmware and the wacom stylus are worth.

Of course, since I've already got the DR, I'm sticking with it, and gladly But I was wondering if we lost any hardcore fans.
IMO, it's definitely premature since nobody knows how well the DX works in the "real world". We've just seem demos and announcements. Let's see how well it lives up to the hype once consumers start reporting back on it. People who want to switch already, probably fall into the "grass is always greener..." type mentality. Those sorts of people probably weren't hardcore fans anyway.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
IMO, it's definitely premature since nobody knows how well the DX works in the "real world". We've just seem demos and announcements. Let's see how well it lives up to the hype once consumers start reporting back on it. People who want to switch already, probably fall into the "grass is always greener..." type mentality. Those sorts of people probably weren't hardcore fans anyway.
I know, I know, but we do have a sub-$500 9.7'' eink device out there now. Assuming there aren't any giant blunders (i.e., most PDF files are supported and load in reasonable time etc.) in the KDX, meaning it works in the real world and does what it is supposed to do, reasonably, I was wondering if people would shell out that extra $350+ for open software, folders etc. You're probably right, might be a tad bit theoretical at this point.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I think that the real clincher for the kindleDX is its price, it costs $370 (859-489) less than the dr1000.
In addition, the kindleDx has other features that the dr lacks, in particular:

--3G wireless with no monthly bills, data plans, or commitments
--Long battery life (4 days with wireless on, two weeks without wireless)

I've used a dr for a few days and I really like its touchscreen and overall functionality. If the dr had about the same price as the kindle dx I would surely pick a dr, but considering the huge price difference between the two devices I'm now much more oriented towards a kindle.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Assuming there aren't any giant blunders
I think there are some iRex detractors that would point out the error in making an assumption like that.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
--3G wireless with no monthly bills, data plans, or commitments
... yet. Didn't I read recently that Amazon is starting to charge bandwidth costs for transferring your own content to your kindle 1/2 via 3G? Unlimited/free bandwidth on the DX is probably a little unrealistic long term.

Quote:
--Long battery life (4 days with wireless on, two weeks without wireless)
Theoretically. iRex pre-release advertising said days/weeks of battery time too. We'll see what it really gets once people start using it.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Without pen support, it's useless to me.

Not to mention it's lacking folders and an open operating system/development environment. I'll stick with iRex until a better device comes along with all of that.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
IMO, it's definitely premature since nobody knows how well the DX works in the "real world". We've just seem demos and announcements. Let's see how well it lives up to the hype once consumers start reporting back on it.
Practically everything about the KDX is the same as on the Kindle 2, which is a known quantity. The PDF support is new but is underwhelming: no search across your PDF collection, no notes, only a single portrait and a single landscape mode. On the other hand, a 9.7" screen is "good enough" for PDFs and there was not much wrong with the Kindle 2 (no folders, single dictionary, ...?). I would love to have the option of a DR1000SW as an alternative to the KDX. The web browser on my Kindle 1 is significantly better than any on the iLiad, and would be "good enough" on the KDX's larger screen for casual browsing. It can't take half a year to add a WiFi chip to the DR1000S, so the hold up is presumably software (again). A touch screen is better than a keyboard on a device this large, so again the DR1000SW wins - or it would if it existed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Didn't I read recently that Amazon is starting to charge bandwidth costs for transferring your own content to your kindle 1/2 via 3G?
They have only modified the fee associated with sending personal documents wirelessly to the Kindle. The new fee is 15 cents per megabyte opposed to the previous 10 cents per document. So, really, no big deal and then you can always load your documents on the kindle via usb.
Web browsing and book downloads are free and have been repeatedly advertised to remain so.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
At this stage there are two flaws with the DR that may swing me towards the KDX: the pen bug and the start up time. I can probably live with the long start-up time but not being able to rely on the pen is killing me (the only reason I need the pen is because it is so damn difficult to navigate with only the buttons - I expect the KDX will be better in this regard - and because the capacitive buttons are so easy to activate by accidental brushing them that I prefer they are locked). So I've got a pre-order for the KDX but if iRex deliver a decent firmware upgrade before it ships I may cancel the order. One way or another I'll be keeping my DR1000S because apart from a few (pretty serious) bugs, it is a great device and there is the potential for some really useful applications being developed by the community (if not by iRex).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Adding more from BeBooks 1, There was a news that the future firmware will support WIFI SD Card(40$) . it probably can do on DR too.
I used DR1000S for teaching companion with ILIAD 2nd over semester instead of my PC Tablet, and it worked well, both presenting and collect homework and returning with my signature on it, NO PAPER. So, I need STYLUS feature.

MORE: I believe there will be delayed on shipment of KDX because of
1. ADOBE PDF for Mobile will be delayed

Summer is 3-4 months, No specific the beginning of summer or the end of summer.

Last edited by keng2000; 05-08-2009 at 01:03 AM.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I think the KDX looks interesting, but at the moment, I doubt that I'm going to do something like sell my DR to get a KDX based on what I've seen so far.

I do use the Wacom function a lot and like it reasonably well. I'm not sure how effective the KDX would be as an "on-the-fly" note-taking device, but I do know that the DR does function pretty well in that capacity.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote