Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Kindle 2 flaw: Lighter text causing headaches?

Quote:
Whenever a next-generation version of a product is launched, inevitably you get comparisons to the previous model--and what the older model did better. Well, in the case of the Kindle 2, the nitpicking is in full swing as several blogs have taken up the debate over whether the Kindle 2's text is lighter than the original Kindle's.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10191483-1.html
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
alphabet55
alphabet55 began at the beginning.

Device: Possibly a Kindle 2
Interesting read. It's sad to think that the Kindle 2 is causing headaches for some people. Amazon should just give the end-user the option to choose text and background lightness/darkness.

That ghosting thing sounds irritating. Is it as bad as the article makes it seem? I'd like to know before I get a Kindle 2. D:
alphabet55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Keeyum
Keeyum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
With mine that the ghosting is not very common. I rarely have any ghosting on my screen. It happens occasionally, more often than not when I have the screen saver on then switch the system back on, yet nothing so serious to send mine back at least. I don't remember seeing any ghosting on anything aside from the turning back on from screen saver mode.
Keeyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I read on the 2nd smallest font and have no probs at all.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet55 View Post
Interesting read. It's sad to think that the Kindle 2 is causing headaches for some people. Amazon should just give the end-user the option to choose text and background lightness/darkness.

That ghosting thing sounds irritating. Is it as bad as the article makes it seem? I'd like to know before I get a Kindle 2. D:
The ghosting issue exists, but it's *mostly* just a problem in the status bars at the top and bottom of the page. When you come out of sleep mode, those don't fully refresh, and when you hit the next page button, only the text of the book is refreshed, not the status bars. It's *not* a problem for reading at all, nor does it make the status bars hard to read either. But if you're obsessive-compulsive about anything looking 'off', then yeah, it might bug you and require you to Alt-G to refresh the screen.

The only other time I've seen ghosting is after viewing some particular images but not others. Again, Alt-G fixes the issue.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Sweet, MR is quoted in that article
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
I read on the 2nd smallest font and have no probs at all.
Ditto.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet55 View Post
Amazon should just give the end-user the option to choose text and background lightness/darkness.
:
This may very well be something that is not adjustable. It may depend on variations in the manufacturing process.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Wonder if the lighter text has something to do with the increase in battery life, does it take less juice to produce a lighter text each screen refresh?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Oh well. I hope that isn't the case, but if there really is some connection, then it'll be one more reason that I'm happy I'm sticking with my K1.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The text on my K2 is no lighter than the text on my Sony 505. We loaded them up the other day and did a side by side. The Sony's font is heavier making the K2's something to get used to, but after a few books, no problems here.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
It's a guess, but I think I know why the K2 font looks lighter. I think its due to the increased levels of gray scale.

Over the years, I've noticed this on graphics I've worked on. Turn a graphic from black to grayscale or turn on anti-aliasing. It makes the edges look smoother. However, when you have a really thin line you can have problems.

Say the line is narrower than one pixel. With black and white only you can only show the line through a black pixel. With gray scale you can use a gray pixel to indicate that the entire pixel is not black.

As a result thin lines, like the lines of small fonts, are gray instead of black and they are not as visible on the grayish e-ink background.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
elainevdw
elainevdw began at the beginning.

Thanks for posting that article -- it makes me feel SO much better. I'm a first-time e-reader owner with a Kindle 2, and it was hard for me to figure out if my Kindle was hard to read because of the screen or because of the lighting in my house. (I'm thinking it's a bit of both, but mostly the lighting in my house.) I also started noticing ghosting after using it for about a week. At first I thought it was because my screen is degrading (oh noes!!!) .... but now I'm thinking that I only just started noticing it after seeing complaints about it online. It also helps knowing that ALL of these problems could likely be fixed by a future firmware upgrade.
elainevdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #14
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
I currently have 2 k2's side by side and I feel there's a difference in contrast. One is going back due to the sunlight fading issue and that's the lighter one. I've always felt the faulty screen's contrast was a bit less, but I also have a K1.

So perhaps not all k2 screens are equal? I need to test the new one out in full sunlight tomorrow.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
It's a guess, but I think I know why the K2 font looks lighter. I think its due to the increased levels of gray scale.

Over the years, I've noticed this on graphics I've worked on. Turn a graphic from black to grayscale or turn on anti-aliasing. It makes the edges look smoother. However, when you have a really thin line you can have problems.

Say the line is narrower than one pixel. With black and white only you can only show the line through a black pixel. With gray scale you can use a gray pixel to indicate that the entire pixel is not black.

As a result thin lines, like the lines of small fonts, are gray instead of black and they are not as visible on the grayish e-ink background.

Michael
Bingo! I looked very closely at the fonts and it is the anti-aliasing, used to "round" the turns on the letters that reduces contrast. They use a lighter shade to do this. Letters like lower case "l" are just as dark on the K2 as the K1. Oh the dangers of unintended consequences - to "pretty up" the fonts, they lost contrast, a side effect I do not like at all.

Last edited by Slow_hand; 03-11-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote