Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
1.5 update and battery life

My experience with sleep functionality has been less satisfactory than I'd expected. Has anyone tested it? I've just left the device on its own, almost at full charge, and no shutdown with sleep after 30 secs
It did not even make 8 hours. I'm testing it again now, and with the same settings, the battery level seems to be going down faster than I expected it to do.
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Do you have a DR1000S or a DR1000 ?
Did you disable the pen , I am not convinced that the Wacom screen shuts off when the pen is inserted in the device (which it should do ...).
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
sarikan
Zealot

the pen is not inserted at all. I keep it in the case of dr1000S. At 8.30 this morning it was fully charged connected to my pc, I've removed it and now after 3 hours the battery level is at 61 %. (I've only checked for battery status 3 times) I do not think this is the sleep functionality we've hoped for, am I missing something here?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
the pen is not inserted at all. I keep it in the case of dr1000S. At 8.30 this morning it was fully charged connected to my pc, I've removed it and now after 3 hours the battery level is at 61 %. (I've only checked for battery status 3 times) I do not think this is the sleep functionality we've hoped for, am I missing something here?
I think there is some problem with your battery.
Mine got around 12 hours (with 1-2 hours reading).
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
IMHO when the pen is not inserted in the device (while turned on) the Wacom screen will draw power continously just so it can feel if the pen is "near".
If you really want to test how long the battery would last while not really using the device, then the pen needs to be in the device to get the best result.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
sarikan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
I think there is some problem with your battery.
Mine got around 12 hours (with 1-2 hours reading).
So, was your pen inserted like suggested during this time?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
sarikan
Zealot

approximately after 6 hours the battery is at 17% with no usage at all. I guess either I have a problem with my battery, or I need to give the pen factor a try.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I have the stylus inserted in it's holder all the time.

I use the new stylus I bought instead and that works even if the other is inserted or not.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
sarikan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I have the stylus inserted in it's holder all the time.

I use the new stylus I bought instead and that works even if the other is inserted or not.
I guess that eliminates the problem being about the stylus then Its like the sleep functionality is not used at all, it is displayed but the power consumption is the same.
does the light on the device keep blinking when it is in sleep mode?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
windspeedo
Enthusiast
windspeedo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000, Kindle 3G, Kobo Glo
I have the stylus inserted.
Reading pdf for 2 hours and the power decreased from 84% to 57%.
windspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Do you have a DR1000S or a DR1000 ?
Did you disable the pen , I am not convinced that the Wacom screen shuts off when the pen is inserted in the device (which it should do ...).
The Wacom screen only draws significant power while you're actively writing on it. Just sitting idle doesn't have a large effect on battery life. Also, the Wacom does not automtically shut off when the pen is inserted. It does that on the iLiad, but not the DR.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
My experience with sleep functionality has been less satisfactory than I'd expected. Has anyone tested it? I've just left the device on its own, almost at full charge, and no shutdown with sleep after 30 secs
It did not even make 8 hours. I'm testing it again now, and with the same settings, the battery level seems to be going down faster than I expected it to do.
A lot of people on the iRex forum are reporting 12 - 16 hours. Keep in mind that there were changes in this update that effected the battery calibration. It'll take at least one full charge/discharge cycle before it is recalibrated and you start seeing accurate numbers.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
A lot of people on the iRex forum are reporting 12 - 16 hours. Keep in mind that there were changes in this update that effected the battery calibration. It'll take at least one full charge/discharge cycle before it is recalibrated and you start seeing accurate numbers.
Based on my experience for two days, the lifetime at only sleep mode is not more than 14 hours. With moderate daily use, it will go down to 8-10 hours. That's not an exciting figure... I am disappointed by that.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
smp_iliad
Connoisseur

I think iRex people made significant mistakes...they advertised figures (days of use) only based on hardware specs, before implementing them. They overlooked many unknown, software issues, and started to sell the device with a promise that they will deliver the figures later.. Now we can't change hardware (like battery upgrade). and they don't seem to be able to fulfill the promise with only software....
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
I think iRex people made significant mistakes...they advertised figures (days of use) only based on hardware specs, before implementing them. They overlooked many unknown, software issues, and started to sell the device with a promise that they will deliver the figures later.. Now we can't change hardware (like battery upgrade). and they don't seem to be able to fulfill the promise with only software....
This update was only half of the software, there is another APM mode that is still planned for a future update. I agree though, they shouldn't have advertised "days of use" before APM was finished.