Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
CCLady
Enthusiast
CCLady has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle1, Kindle 3 wi-fi 3G, Kindle basic, Kindle Fire
Cool Greetings from the land of fire

CCLady here. The CC stands for Culver City, part of Los Angeles. I just bought myself a Kindle as an early birthday present, and I already love it. I'm looking forward to interesting discussions and recommendations for reading on my new toy!
CCLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, from an ex-San Bernardino-ite. I'm sure you'll just grow to love your Kindle more each day.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi CCLady and welcome to the Forum. Be sure and check out all the free books available here on MobileRead and the new Book of the Month club here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30382
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLady View Post
CCLady here. The CC stands for Culver City, part of Los Angeles. I just bought myself a Kindle as an early birthday present, and I already love it. I'm looking forward to interesting discussions and recommendations for reading on my new toy!
I used to live very close to Culver City (well, close-ish .... Westwood).

Welcome to the forum, and please do try to stay unburnt.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yes, we prefer our new members UN-burnt. Just like our breakfast toast. Which we munch while reading our Kindles! You'll LOVE it!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Welcome, and I look forward to hearing about your experience with Kindle.
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
CCLady
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I used to live very close to Culver City (well, close-ish .... Westwood).

Welcome to the forum, and please do try to stay unburnt.
I lived in Westwood - well, in the dorm - while I was in school.

It's changed since then.

A lot.

But then, so have I. . .
Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
I lived in Westwood - well, in the dorm - while I was in school.

It's changed since then.

A lot.

But then, so have I. . .
When were you there and which dorm were you in?? I was in Hedrick Hall (room 713 the first year and 725 the second). 1970 and 1971. After that, I moved into a place on Wilshire Blvd.

I know it's changed a TON!! I go back every few years to visit old friends from my days at the UCLA Medical Center.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
CCLady
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
When were you there and which dorm were you in?? I was in Hedrick Hall (room 713 the first year and 725 the second). 1970 and 1971. After that, I moved into a place on Wilshire Blvd.

I know it's changed a TON!! I go back every few years to visit old friends from my days at the UCLA Medical Center.
I moved into Rieber the day it opened - September, 1963.

Have you seen the Med Center lately? Since the "grand opening" with the new name, etc.?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
I moved into Rieber the day it opened - September, 1963.

Have you seen the Med Center lately? Since the "grand opening" with the new name, etc.?
I think the last time I was back was maybe three years ago. I need to go back and do a serious walk around someday soon.

Ah ... Reiber!! You'll appreciate this then. I was walking up dormie hill one night during what was a really rare thunder and lightning storm. Just classic ... really dramatic. Suddenly, someone in Hedrick starts playing the theme from 2001 (the "Also Sprach Zarathustra"), and then comes a voice over that announced quite loudly ...

REIBER!!

THIS IS GOD SPEAKING!!

I was laughing so hard, I don't even remember what the rest of the divine announcement was.

Of course, I don't know if Hedrick was even built when you were there, but in my day the two dorms had a great rivalry. I don't know why, I just know they did. Maybe something about sharing cafeteria space on the weekends.

Did you know they are now packing kids into those dorm rooms THREE at a time?? There was barely room for two, and now those rooms routinely hold three.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
CCLady
Enthusiast

I remember when Hedrick was built - one of my dorm pals was the grandson of the guy it's named for - and I also remember climbing dormie hill before there were steps - solid (or not so solid) mud. . .

3 in one of those rooms? Geeze, they must be much better friends than my roommate and I ever were. . .
Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

No kidding those dorm rooms were (are) TINY!!! My first year I didn't have a roommate, which was rather nice. The second year I had a great roomie for the first quarter, and a heavy smoker the second quarter. She was a nice person, but I'm a severe asthmatic, so it wasn't the best match-up.

My sister went to UCLA for a while as well. She was in Dykstra Hall her freshman year (that would have been 1966), but she was a theater arts major, and I guess the competition in that program was just too much for her, so she transferred to Long Beach State. I still remember her introducing me to Lew Alcindor when I went to visit her ... I must have been about 14 then.

I pretty much lived over at the Bomb Shelter .... was that built when you were there?? It was in the Life Sciences quad, and I was a Chemistry major, so I was mostly either there or in the stacks of the Bio Med Library.

OK .... now I'm stuck in deep past mode.