Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That was probably in reply to my comment about reading pdf's or comics. I would, however, like to confirm that the books are actually being loaded as Kepub.

If you long press on a book, (either in the home screen, or in the Library list), and from the pop up menu, select "Vew Details". then press the tab in the middle that says "Details"... there should be a line that reads "File Format:". And the if the extended plugin is working, that File format will say "Kobo Epub"
Yes, my format is Kepub - that's why I'm using the kobotouch extended – to convert epubs to Kepub on the fly. As rashkae says, kepub page turns are so much faster than the epub ones, even if they are not as fast as I'd like.

I should have been clearer in the initial post of what I was using and doing. I'll remember that in the future.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With the latest 4.5 firmware, kepub are not much faster at page turns. That used to be true, but no longer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #18
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With the latest 4.5 firmware, kepub are not much faster at page turns. That used to be true, but no longer.

You keep repeating that, it's just not true.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
You keep repeating that, it's just not true.
kepub is slightly faster than ePub. But, I have more text on an ePub page, so it kind of evens out.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #20
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm on 4.5.9587. Is there anyway to increase the speed of page turns? I'm a very fast reader and the slow turns drive me crazy.
How long have you been reading on eink readers? I bet not very long.

I think once you get used to it, you will subconsciously learn to flip the page slightly before you have read to the end (except that IIRC on Kobo the page lfip time might have slightly higher variance that other readers I have used) and won't notice the delay any more.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #21
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post

I think once you get used to it, you will subconsciously learn to flip the page slightly before you have read to the end (except that IIRC on Kobo the page lfip time might have slightly higher variance than other readers I have used) and won't notice the delay any more.
So true. I'm far from a speed reader now days but when I bought new Kobo Touch after months using Kobo Wifi I was turning page before I had finished reading the page.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I think once you get used to it, you will subconsciously learn to flip the page slightly before you have read to the end (except that IIRC on Kobo the page lfip time might have slightly higher variance that other readers I have used) and won't notice the delay any more.
I keep trying off and on (for years on various ereaders, for various reasons) - I will try to see if flipping the page before finishing reading it will work for me. I switched from my android tablet because Verizon was charging me data to send from Calibre on my pc to Calibre Companion on my tablet (I know that's not supposed to happen, but they were doing it anyway). Also, I do like to read outside when camping and Android certainly doesn't do that! Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll give it a try.

Lyn
Old 08-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

[QUOTE=peaceridge;3572317Also, I do like to read outside when camping and Android certainly doesn't do that![/QUOTE]

What's Android got to do with not being able to read outside? You can get eInk Readers that are running Android. So it's not Android. It's LCD screens that make it hard to read in sunlight.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #24
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's Android got to do with not being able to read outside? You can get eInk Readers that are running Android. So it's not Android. It's LCD screens that make it hard to read in sunlight.
Yes, you are correct.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #25
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:

Welp, I was wrong about this.

I have found the first book that causes super long page turns for me on a Kobo Aura One (George RR Martin's Nightflyers from Tor). This is a sideloaded epub. I haven't looked inside in detail, but it seems to have each story in it's own file. It doesn't use any crazy formatting.

I've deleted almost all the other books on my device in case some background task was slowing things down. Of the remaining books, they seem to be the same speed as before (ie: slowish but mostly acceptable).

I've played with settings for how often the screen refreshes; turned wifi on/off and so on without seeing any effect.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #26
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I just read using Koreader to avoid this altogether.
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote