Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
skp
skp began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet with Kindle
Getting Started for Dummies

All of my ebooks (1500+) are Kindle and I read them on an Android tablet which is designated as my default device.

Can someone please just tell me how I get all those books into a calibre catalog? The User's Guide simply says "Drag and drop a few e-book files into calibre, or click the “Add books” button and browse for the e-books you want to work with." Drag and drop from where? Add from where? What am I missing?

I'm really not a stupid person, but I'm starting to feel that way.

Thanks so much.

skp
skp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@skp - Try the Video Tutorials

As a general rule I don't like tutorial videos, but these are an exception, watch a segment, go into the program and do it, repeat as necessary before moving onto the next segment.

Also at MR, it's a good idea to read the sticky threads at the top of the forums - the answer you're looking for could be there.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Calibre does not work well for retrieving books from the Kindle apps for Andriod or iOS. Even if you can locate the book files most will be in KFX format, which calibre does not support. Many of the rest will have DRM and there are no working DRM removal tools for recent versions of those apps.

I recommend using the Kindle for PC or Mac program instead. The latest versions of those also use KFX, but there is a sticky thread here on how to avoid that.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-27-2017 at 10:27 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote