Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
You know...I am not sure what connectivity options exist for the blu-ray/STB Streaming devices.
If they don't have wifi, then it's wired LAN. Not really that many options available. Besides, even devices with wifi often have an ethernet jack. Lol, with all these talks about STB's, etc, I'm surprised to see I haven't seen mention of the TiVo, yet.

I've gotten several surveys from Roku, and from the survey questions, I think they're considering revamping the interface. Some of the questions I got was regarding categorized/hierarchical views, access to all videos on Instant Watch without adding to queue, etc. Of course, I have no idea if and when they'll implement the change.

I tried the (official) VMC Netflix service on my Vista Home Premium laptop, and the interface is pretty good. Unfortunately, the video quality (using Silverlight) isn't on par with video received on the Roku. Hopefully, the Roku box adopts a similar interface to VMC Netflix.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #32
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I have a secret...in all the years, I have never noticed the need for Tivo. 25 years back, I might have been first in line for it but today, TV is just not that interesting to me. In fact I do not, now don't tell anyone, have cable. Not for like 6ish years now and with all the online streaming today, from the networks themselves, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon On Demand (never used it though), I am happy with the $18/mo my Netflix sub costs.

There is a Tivo STB for Netflix isn't there?

Don't even talk to me about this Silverlight switch on NF. For some reason the image will not scale to below about 45% of the display width. So, it is really intrusive if I am working or doing something else with a video on in a small window. I am not sure but it might be a self induced thing. I seem to recall there was a way to fix the minimum stream quality for NF...but it might have been Hulu instead. I forget the small mods these days so many other things happening every day.

Interesting to read about the Roku survey. It's needed, the current generation of the UI just is not made for the way folks seem to want to use the service. I visit their (Roku's) board now and then, not a lot different week to week. I did read in there somewhere that changes were definitely coming as soon as the Roku SDK was done and released to developers. but they really needed the SDK solid before anything is going to happen.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is a Tivo STB for Netflix isn't there?
Not a TiVo STB for Netflix per se, but the TiVo HD supports Netflix. I think there was another model, I just forgot which one. Not sure how they added support. Maybe via firmware update or something? TiVo also supports Amazon Unbox (video on-demand) and there's been talks that it will support Blockbuster, too.

As for the hack for max quality on Netflix, that's using Windows Media and not Silverlight.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #34
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Since some of you sound like you know what you're talking about this might be a good place to ask for some advice about something I've been thinking about lately.

Here's the background: We don't have a t.v. at my house and don't want one. But we do have movie night pretty often. We have a DVD player hooked up to an LCD projector that projects onto the wall or our "movie room". We also have a DSL connection, couple of computers and wired network in the same room.

We previously subscribed to Netflix, but got so many unplayable DVDs in the mail that we switched to Blockbuster. Blockbuster's been a little better, but the idea of downloading movies instead of getting a DVD in the mail sounds really good.

Here's the question: given our current setup, what would be the best choice in hardware/software to be able to download or stream movies instead of getting them in the mail?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on my question!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #35
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Here's the background: We don't have a t.v. at my house and don't want one. But we do have movie night pretty often. We have a DVD player hooked up to an LCD projector that projects onto the wall or our "movie room". We also have a DSL connection, couple of computers and wired network in the same room.

We previously subscribed to Netflix, but got so many unplayable DVDs in the mail that we switched to Blockbuster. Blockbuster's been a little better, but the idea of downloading movies instead of getting a DVD in the mail sounds really good.

Here's the question: given our current setup, what would be the best choice in hardware/software to be able to download or stream movies instead of getting them in the mail?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on my question!
What inputs does your projector support? Also, what are the specifications for your computers and what operating system? Do you want to be able to control everything via remote or are you fine using keyboard/mouse?

On the computer, you have several choices, both free and for pay. There's Hulu, Amazon Unbox, iTunes, Netflix, and free videos direct from broadcaster website to name a few. System requirements vary among the various services, with the most CPU-hungry being Hulu (from experience).

Bear in mind that there are still a lot more content available via DVD than via streaming.
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #36
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I will add that pretty much every output you will want is on the Roku Set Top Box (hence STB). Just let us know which projector you have if you don't know about the input options. usually they will have more than one.

You can by one of these STB's without having a sub to something like Netflix and just use Amazon's On-Demand stuff w/o incurring a monthly fee.

I have really thought of doing exactly what you are by using a projector but opted for a big old 56" DLP LED Samsung TV because of it's low power, wide viewing angle and really GREAT price. Though the stoopid thing was still EXPENSIVE enough to cost me a decent new lens last year.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #37
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Quote:
I have really thought of doing exactly what you are by using a projector but opted for a big old 56" DLP LED Samsung TV because of it's low power, wide viewing angle and really GREAT price. Though the stoopid thing was still EXPENSIVE enough to cost me a decent new lens last year.
Thanks both for your suggestions. The projector is an InFocus, I think the model is x1. It's several years old so it might not have the most "modern" inputs.

The other thing someone mentioned yesterday that sounds interesting is a Blu-Ray player (which would be an upgrade for our system) with streaming support. What do you think? Do these things literally only stream--or can you download a file to the Blu-Ray? I think we have pretty good bandwidth on our DSL connection, but I'm not sure that it's good enough to support streaming a movie....

The next time the bulb burns out, we might consider switching to a large LCD monitor. (IF we can find a monitor without a tuner). We'd miss the huge "screen" size that our projector throws on the wall, but I think the improved brightness/contrast/resolution of the lcd would probably make up for it....
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's really depends on what you want to spend. You can get a Roku or a Popcorn Hour for $100 or so. But, I think they are a bit limited. The other option is a Media PC... Personally, I would recommend a Mac Mini with Plex. http://elan.plexapp.com/ Check out this screen cast about it. http://www.screencastsonline.com/ind...O0201-plex.php

I assume your projector has DVI or HDMI input. If so the Mini will connect to it fine. You should get one of the current gen Minis because they have the discreete video card.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Thanks both for your suggestions. The projector is an InFocus, I think the model is x1. It's several years old so it might not have the most "modern" inputs.
If this is the projector you have, then you can use regular SVGA cable (probably same cable you use to connect your computer to your monitor). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like your projector has digital inputs (DVI, HDMI).

Quote:
The other thing someone mentioned yesterday that sounds interesting is a Blu-Ray player (which would be an upgrade for our system) with streaming support. What do you think? Do these things literally only stream--or can you download a file to the Blu-Ray? I think we have pretty good bandwidth on our DSL connection, but I'm not sure that it's good enough to support streaming a movie....
So far, the ones released can only stream. You can't download a file for burning to Blu-ray, yet (legally, at least). I don't think you'll be able to do it ever if the MPAA has its way. As for bandwidth, I've been able to stream two simultaneous movies from Netflix just fine on a 5mbps cable internet connection.

Quote:
The next time the bulb burns out, we might consider switching to a large LCD monitor. (IF we can find a monitor without a tuner). We'd miss the huge "screen" size that our projector throws on the wall, but I think the improved brightness/contrast/resolution of the lcd would probably make up for it....
Why don't you want something with a tuner? You can always opt to just not use the tuner... Really large monitors are more expensive than TVs of the same (physical) size. Granted, you're paying for the increased resolution on the monitor but for use in the living room, it's unlikely you'll need those extra pixels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's really depends on what you want to spend. You can get a Roku or a Popcorn Hour for $100 or so. But, I think they are a bit limited. The other option is a Media PC...
The Roku is $100 before tax and shipping but the total still comes out to a fairly reasonable price. The more capable Popcorn Hour (you need to go through hoops to get Netflix on the thing, though) is minimum $179 (A-100), not including taxes and shipping from China. The default interface on the Popcorn Hour is pretty ugly and the device is somewhat prone to crashes. Firmware updates to improve stability and add new features are pretty regular which is one of its good points. Still, if you have a lot of content already on your computer (DVD rips, etc), the Popcorn Hour is one darned good playback device.

First, consider, what service you will be using for streaming. So far, it seems Netflix has the widest selection of "buffet" content. For Netflix, the Roku player is extremely simple to set-up and use. It's the cheapest one, too. One complaint I have about it is you need a computer (there's also several apps for the iPod Touch/iPhone ) to add movies to your instant watch queue before it will appear on the Roku player. There are no hierarchical/categorical views as of the moment so if you have 300 shows in your queue like I do, it can be a pain to find a movie you want to watch. The Roku also has the added benefit of supporting Amazon's video-on-demand service. The Amazon VOD interface, I found to be very good (hoping they adopt something similar for Netflix). You can even buy content directly from the device (you link the device to your Amazon account and movies are purchased/rented via 1-click). I believe Roku is in talks with other companies to add more services, too. Who knows, maybe it'll support Hulu in the future.

For other content, the most fool-proof method is to use a computer. Post your computers specs here. Maybe all you need is an SVGA cable to connect your computer to your projector.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Are there any other Linux apps for Hulu or Netflix?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #41
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Are there any other Linux apps for Hulu or Netflix?
boxee, perhaps? I haven't used it myself, though.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Does anyone know when Netflix started shipping on Saturday?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #43
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm dropping cable in a couple of weeks for an entirely computer based system (well, mostly - but I doubt I'll use the 360 much for movies once the TV is connected to a computer.)

I picked up a MacMini and upgraded the RAM (RAM is CHEAP right now) and use an external hard drive with it.

Using Plex (as PilotBob suggested) I access Netflix (2 movies at a time setup but mainly for instant streaming), Hulu, Daily Show, CNN, MSNBC, Colbert Report, a bit of Food Network (no Good Eats, regretably) plus anything else I might have stored on the computer (I tried backing up all my DVDs but it got too time consuming). I then have the MacMini also working as a streaming computer so I can access my music collection anywhere, or watch things on my laptop as well (I watch stuff when I go to bed mostly). Sometimes I'll rent a movie from iTunes or buy a TV show. I generally avoid buying video files however, since the DRM is an issue (not going to pay the same price for something I can't watch on other things, etc)

I've not turned REAL TV on in months, even though I'm still paying for it (roommate uses it) - it's been great. I don't watch a ton but this gives me what I DO watch.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #44
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Does anyone know when Netflix started shipping on Saturday?
Since ever? I'm not exactly sure since I've only been with Netflix for 4 years, but from the time I've been a member, they've been shipping on Saturdays. Basically, if the post office is open, so are they...
Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #45
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I've not turned REAL TV on in months, even though I'm still paying for it (roommate uses it) - it's been great. I don't watch a ton but this gives me what I DO watch.
*sigh* I wish I could cancel cable (at least the digital part). Our monthly bill's pretty high (although a huge chunk is due to fast intarnetz ).

For myself, I could live with just Netflix and various other internet sources (Hulu, network websites, etc). Heck, I barely get any watching done considering the amount of time I spend on forums, etc. However, my mom needs Lifetime and LMN, and pay TV is still pretty much necessary for sports stuff.