Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
wheezrite
wheezrite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kob
Multiple Devices?

I love Calibre and love what it can do. Finally I have a way of keeping the information about my books organized. I just have one problem. I have two Kindles and a Kobo in the family. I would like to use Calibre to load all three devices but, to the best of my knowledge, Calibre only recognizes on device. Is there any way of adding devices?

Thanks.
wheezrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezrite View Post
I love Calibre and love what it can do. Finally I have a way of keeping the information about my books organized. I just have one problem. I have two Kindles and a Kobo in the family. I would like to use Calibre to load all three devices but, to the best of my knowledge, Calibre only recognizes on device. Is there any way of adding devices?

Thanks.
It recognizes ONE DEVICE AT A TIME.
disconnect other devices before connecting another.

The 'device setting' in the welcome wizard, tunes news and a few others to the device. Most well formatted EPUB will work across multiple devices.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It depends on quite how you want to use them?

Calibre does not recognize specific devices - merely device types. It dynamically recognizes a device type when it is plugged into the PC/Mac. If books are not DRM protected (and thus tied to a particular device) then you can simply plug in any recognized device and send books to it. Only one device can be recognised at a time so to connect a new one you first need to eject the previous one.

The other thing that can be of interest is the "Reading List" plugin available via the plugin part of the forum. It DOES recgnize specific devices and allows you to set up lists of books for a particuar device. This makes putting specific books on a specific device much easier to manage.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I maintain one Calibre Library and use it for my my Sony PRS-650 and my wife's PRS-600 (my old reader).

You might want to make a custom column to store info about which user the books "belongs" to.

When you plug a different reader, once Calibre gets done with the various information trasnfers, it shows which books from the library are stored on that device.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What have you done as a library keeping scheme? My Blackberry storm does everything in the cloud thus I do not download anything. However I can see if you have a dedicated reader and downlaod your books you would need a library keeping scheme, perhaps a electronic dewy decimal method. Does Calibre perscribe a library keeping scheme or does it allow you to pick your own?

A pal of mine has a mulilevel folder scheme on his external drive for this matter: top level is called electronic books, second level - mystery, real world and thriller, under thrillers are hard boiled cop, arm chair detectives. Under hard boiled cop there is Hercule Perot and Jane Marple.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
A similar question/solution - I have a 1st edition Nook, and my husband also just got his. I think I understand how this works, but I'd appreciate someone giving me a proverbial pat on the head.... Would it work to create a second "library" for the things he wants on his Nook and maintain my original library for my device? Can I also assume that if I connect his Nook, any materials that are DRM-free in my library can be copied to his library and loaded onto his device, using that second library as the "feed point?"

Thanks in advance!
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
The simplest way to handle this is to install the reading list plugin. I use it to maintain 4 different lists for the different readers in our household. We all use the same library but send what we want to our individual devices. It then tags the books according to the list they are in and can create a custom column (yes/no in my case) for each user.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote