Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #496
JulieV
JulieV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tab 4 > Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The Oberon Fire HD7 2012 cover fits the KA1. Pricey (especially when Customs gets you ) but gorgeous.
That particular Oberon cover does NOT have a magnetic sleep/wake function, is that correct? If it does, does it work for the KA1?
And are you able to reach the power button on the back of the KA1?
Lovely cover. I've seen other posts that the Oberon cover for the iPad mini also fits KA1 and it has the sleep/wake function (just unsure if it works on the KA1).
Thanks.

Last edited by JulieV; 05-19-2017 at 10:40 AM.
JulieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #497
JulieV
JulieV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tab 4 > Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Earlier on, I was browsing Amazon to find a generic case that was a close-enough fit for the KA1 since Kobo's was out, and frankly too expensive for what it is (they're not Apple... not that I'd buy their accessories either )

And I came across this one.

Even though it's fairly generic, listed for some (smaller) Kobos among many, the KA1 is not mentioned. However as you can see from the attached pics, it's a perfect fit sizewise. I ended up trimming the bottom tabs a bit, and they still protrude a bit into the screen corners but since there's never any text there, I don't mind.

I like it because it's a bit rougher, though it is fairly smooth and simple compared to their other offerings... It's pretty stiff and a little bent, so it offers plenty of protection for the screen. It makes for a nice contrast with the hi-tech device inside. You can use the latch with the cover folded over, and it also stands up too if you fold it halfway.

No need to special order either (it's Amazon), though I had to return the first one because it had blemish that was way too big to overlook :/

Now here's my question: it doesn't have a sleep function, and with the KA1 power button in the back it's not ideal. I'd like to see if I can make it work, tried with some weak magnets, no success. Does anybody have the info where the sleep/magnet sensor is located exactly on the KA1's frame? (I can always try with stronger magnets)
It's actually sold via a store on Etsy which makes many different covers. Another post mentioned that covers for the iPad mini's fit the KA1, and they do make this one for the iPad mini's: https://www.etsy.com/listing/2502673..._home_active_2

Nothing noting any sleep functionality. And I can only guess the hole for the iPad mini's camera lens matches up to the KA1's power button as another poster confirmed for the Oberon covers.
JulieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #498
Funyoungman
Funyoungman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Case with a handstrap?

Has anyone found a case/cover with a handstrap? I've beem looking for one since i got my KA1 a year ago and am starting to get a little desperate. I have one like this for both my tablet and kobo h20 but cant find one like it for the aura one. I attatched a few pics of the cases I have that have what I'm looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170604_173456-01(2).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	157179   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170604_173350(4).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	630.5 KB
ID:	157180  
Funyoungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #499
Funyoungman
Funyoungman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorekom View Post
If anyone here has used both the Moko cover and Acdream cover, how do they compare?

Moko

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2VT4H683M5NNA

Acdream

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPLZAIE...LPVV8XYR&psc=1
I have the ACDream on my KA1 and it has saved my device from a NUMBER of drops. I had a moko for my H20 and the plastic cracked and the sleep wake never worked right.
Funyoungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #500
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have this case for my H2O and it's doing very well. This is the Aura One version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQJT6DT...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I received this cover (in grey felt) for my ONE today from Amazon, purchased because the Moko cover doesn't quite fit. The Moko hinge is a little short so the lid doesn't fully close under its own weight.

No such problems here although one might make an argument for the tolerances being a little too loose. But the steel strip and associated magnet do a nice job keeping things tidy so I'm going to call it not a problem. Sleep/wake work as expected with no "play through" when closed or folded back. The lid feels a little flimsy compared to the Moko cover but it's about the same as Kobo's official cover. Likewise the plastic tray.

So, yeah, seems worth it for a budget priced ONE cover.

Edit: I did make one modification. I put a strip of electrical tape over the steel bit to keep it from scratching anything in my pack.

Last edited by ratinox; 07-07-2017 at 06:45 PM.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #501
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I'm considering the KA1 and hopefully this weekend, I will go to a store to check it out. But of course, I've been obsessing reading every thread I can find on the reader in the mean time. I keep reading about sleep/wake covers. For context, I just have a cheapie faux leather cover with elastic bands for my Paperwhite. It was on clearance for $3 at Staples. I like it a lot except for the weight. It doesn't do anything except cover the reader.

My PW goes to sleep after a period of inactivity as far as I know...Sometimes it's annoying as I have to log back in with my password. Does the KA1 not go to sleep on its own in the same way? If not, is that why there is such an emphasis on sleep/wake covers?
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #502
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
All the Kobo devices can be set to sleep after as certain amount of time. And, until the latest firmware version, there was no lock of any sort. There is now an option PIN lock.

The emphasis on the sleep cover is the convenience. Close the cover, the device goes to sleep. Open the cover and it wakes ready to read. If you are going to use a cover, let it do a little more work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #503
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
David, thanks for the sleep function description.

Generally, I prefer to use my Paperwhite sans cover so I have other priorities over the sleep cover function. It's much more important to me that I have a sturdy cover that holds the reader well but is easily accessible in and out. I lucked into this situation with the $3 cover. I wasn't quite sold on it initially as the elastic bands aren't exactly pretty. But it turns out it's perfect for what I do. The cover holds the reader very well with just 2 of the 4 elastic bands and has held up over the years. I can quickly take out and put back the reader in the cover wherever I am. I don't worry about the PW sleeping...as it must do for I have never had any battery problems nor unwanted page turns using the cover.

Last edited by tdonline; 07-13-2017 at 05:38 PM.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #504
Abby Nonamous
Abby Nonamous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Oasis, Kobo H2O, NT, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy S4
Once you've had a sleep cover, you quickly become spoiled to it. I feel the same way by standing covers so I got this one.
https://smile.amazon.com/Kobo-Aura-O...CGDKG86F8M217M
Unfortunately, it isn't a sleep cover, but no others are making one like it that is. so I'm going to have to operate on it to suit me. As soon as I locate my wayward X-acto knife, that is.
Abby Nonamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #505
Abby Nonamous
Abby Nonamous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Oasis, Kobo H2O, NT, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy S4
Bonus, it's easy in/out. Like you, I insist on that.
Abby Nonamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #506
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Has anyone bought this one before? If so, how's the quality?

https://www.amazon.ca/iGadgitz-Flora...+case+igadgitz
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #507
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funyoungman View Post
I have the ACDream on my KA1 and it has saved my device from a NUMBER of drops. I had a moko for my H20 and the plastic cracked and the sleep wake never worked right.
Late reply - sorry. The Moko cover I bought (link upthread) for my KA1 is working fine. No cracked plastic, sleep/wake is fine. The hinge has loosened enough so the flap folds back flat. The magnet holding the flap shut is concealed.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #508
Yojinbo
Enthusiast
Yojinbo began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis, Aura One, Lumi
I have a KA1 on the way. Has anyone tried the Vaja cover made for the ipad mini with the Aura? I have one of these covers on an ipad and I like everything but the metallic logo.

I had a nice Oberon cover on my old AMZ DX but that giant metal stud scratched up everything in my travel bag.
Yojinbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #509
Yojinbo
Enthusiast
Yojinbo began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis, Aura One, Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojinbo View Post
I have a KA1 on the way. Has anyone tried the Vaja cover made for the ipad mini with the Aura?
To answer my own question - its a mediocre fit. I ordered a "used" Vaja Nuova Pelle that was really one of the leather Vaja cases for the ipad Mini that were clearanced (not really a verb, I know) when the new ipad Mini covers came out. I am familiar with this cover as my Mini wears one.

Executive Summary:
On the KA1 the Vaja Nuova Pelle is a little too tall and not quite wide enough. It's not made for the KA1 and that shows but I will be using nonetheless.

Detail:
The Nuova Pelle is a leather folder type cover (C-shaped around 3 sides of the tablet or reader). The cover is held on with double-sided adhesive tape that comes pre-attached to the inside back of the cover. You apply this to the back of your reader/tablet and and the rest of of the cover wraps around front. The cover has a camera notch-out in one corner that works fine for the power button.
However when used with the KA1 this cover is like a blanket that won't warm your left arm and right arm at the same time. I have NOT (yet) attached the adhesive to my KA1 - experience has taught me to measure twice and stick once with regard to adhesive covers. The cover will not "center" on the spine of the KA1 and reach to both the back and the front of the right edge. I will be using this cover - I invested $40 in it and it is imperfect but good for my needs.
My plan is to adhere the cover by "shorting" the back side of the cover (leaving the right side of the back cover 12 to 15mm away from the edge) in this way I can cover the whole front of the screen and go just to the right edge. This arrangement will not have the spine of the cover centered on in the middle of the left side of the reader - just to be clear.
The cover is also a little too tall on the KA1 and that is hardly noticeable - I have a worse fit on an older ipad where I did not center the cover perfectly up and down before sticking the cover to the unit.

Let me know if you all need pictures to illuminate any of this. I doubt that there will be a big surge in using these clearance covers for the KA1. I just like holding on to pebbled leather much better than holding on to plastic.
Yojinbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #510
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
After getting annoyed at every cover I've bought I decided to fork over for the Gecko. Here's what it does right compared to the others:

Official Sleep Cover: The cover fits squarely over the screen (the Kobo cover is a few mm offset down for some reason). Sleep/wake function seems to be more reliable without the phantom touches I sometimes (still) get with the Kobo. Exposed power button.

kwmobile: Everything. Better fit, better closures, better quality (so far).

Moko: Better fit (the Moko wouldn't close). Better quality (plastic seems to be a little less brittle).
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote