Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Aiden
Aiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Extra spacing between paragraphs on my e-books

Most of the e-books that I transfer to my Nook Simple Touch get added extra spacing between the paragraphs, but previewing them on Adobe Digital Editions and on Calibre (What I use for transfer) shows no spacing at all. I tried transfering with Calibre and manually, but it makes no difference. This happens with a lot of my ebooks, but there are some that don't show the added spacing. What is happening? Is there something wrong with my Nook?
Aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I cant say I have noticed that with mine. Have you checked what line spacing option you have chosen, in the text options?
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Aiden,

In calibre, give this a try for a book that's on your Nook with the extra spacing:

Convert Books > Look & Feel > Select: Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs

Delete the book already on your Nook and add the one with the Remove Spacing option selected.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What happens if you toggle "Publisher Defaults" on/off?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Most of the e-books that I transfer to my Nook Simple Touch get added extra spacing between the paragraphs, but previewing them on Adobe Digital Editions and on Calibre (What I use for transfer) shows no spacing at all. I tried transfering with Calibre and manually, but it makes no difference. This happens with a lot of my ebooks, but there are some that don't show the added spacing. What is happening? Is there something wrong with my Nook?
I think this thread may help with your problem. Post #13-#21. Nook does not like condensed margins when not using publisher defaults.

luck
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Aiden
Aiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipseAiden can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I cant say I have noticed that with mine. Have you checked what line spacing option you have chosen, in the text options?
It's the narrowest one, the problem is the spacing between paragraphs, the line spacing is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Aiden,

In calibre, give this a try for a book that's on your Nook with the extra spacing:

Convert Books > Look & Feel > Select: Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs

Delete the book already on your Nook and add the one with the Remove Spacing option selected.
I tried it already on two different books, it doesn't fix it, because when I preview the e-book on calibre, the spacing is normal :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What happens if you toggle "Publisher Defaults" on/off?
This is actually interesting, it fixes the problem, but I find it kinda uncomfortable, because if I change anything like the typeface or the margins it adds the extra spacing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I think this thread may help with your problem. Post #13-#21. Nook does not like condensed margins when not using publisher defaults.

luck
bernie
How do I edit the css? I tried Sigil, but can't find the section mentioned in the post #19?

Thank you all for your answers!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
It's the narrowest one, the problem is the spacing between paragraphs, the line spacing is normal.

I tried it already on two different books, it doesn't fix it, because when I preview the e-book on calibre, the spacing is normal :/

This is actually interesting, it fixes the problem, but I find it kinda uncomfortable, because if I change anything like the typeface or the margins it adds the extra spacing again.

How do I edit the css? I tried Sigil, but can't find the section mentioned in the post #19?

Thank you all for your answers!
The easiest way--if the ebook is a calibre conversion to start-- is to reconvert with the Expand CSS option checked. Next is to do a epub to epub with Expand CSS checked.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2013-12-11 08:52:15.png
Views:	1063
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	116529
You can also edit the margin in the css file, but this will mean the you will have to edit every margin in the css file.
example:
Code:
{

margin: 0
}
This condensed margins this gives a margin of 0 top, bottom , left and right.

You would want to change that to:
Code:
    {
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0
}
for the nook to display correctly.

See this for condensed margins help.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
If you don't want to bother with editing CSS, you can do a calibre epub->epub conversion to fix this. I'm not at home with calibre running right now to remember it exactly, but I think in the "Look and feel" dialog, there is an "expand CSS" setting (or something like that) that expands the shorthand "margin" css statements that the nook doesn't handle.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Aiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
The easiest way--if the ebook is a calibre conversion to start-- is to reconvert with the Expand CSS option checked. Next is to do a epub to epub with Expand CSS checked.
Attachment 116529
You can also edit the margin in the css file, but this will mean the you will have to edit every margin in the css file.
example:
Code:
{

margin: 0
}
This condensed margins this gives a margin of 0 top, bottom , left and right.

You would want to change that to:
Code:
    {
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0
}
for the nook to display correctly.

See this for condensed margins help.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
If you don't want to bother with editing CSS, you can do a calibre epub->epub conversion to fix this. I'm not at home with calibre running right now to remember it exactly, but I think in the "Look and feel" dialog, there is an "expand CSS" setting (or something like that) that expands the shorthand "margin" css statements that the nook doesn't handle.
I converted a book again with the "expand CSS" enabled and it worked! I disabled publisher defaults and now the extra spacing between paragraphs is not there! I feel silly for fixing it so easily. Thanks!