Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Is B&N like Amazon?

I'm upset with B&N at the moment. I just discovered that, if I buy a book, even a free one, from the B&N ebook site, I can't transfer that book to my computer. I prefer to organize my books using Calibre. I can't do that unless I bought the book elsewhere, like Books on Board. I wrote to B&N about this and their answer claimed that it was the way DRM is handled, as if it isn't their fault. Sony is notorious for going overboard with digital rights and my Sony reader didn't have this problem. If I bought as paper and ink book from B&N, I could give that to a friend when I'm finished reading it, he could pass it on, and again until the book literally wore out. As far as I know, I can't do that with any ebook, regardless of the source. Hopefully, that day is coming.

It appears to me that, with B&N hiding the folder that stores purchases made from them, they are doing what Amazon has done with their proprietary Kindle format. Although, that is slowly disappearing. My response to B&N was that all my future ebook purchases will be made from another ebook vendor until B&N fixes their proprietary mindset and allows buyers of their ebooks to use whatever application they choose to manage their library.

Does anyone else feel as I do or am I just being ornery?

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Most of the big publishers require DRM on their ebooks. B&N is correct, in that, there's not really much they can do about it. You can either decide not to buy any DRM'd books, or buy what you want, remove the DRM, and then organize them with Calibre as you like.

Amazon, B&N, and Sony are all basically the same in that regard, Apple as well, most of what they sell will have DRM attached.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Kindle doesn't use a hidden partition like the nook does. So no amazon isn't like bn. But did you know that you can download your ebooks to your pc straight from the bn website?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Actually, if you get the Nook for PC program, you can download your books to your pc with it, and strip DRM and put them into calibre thereafter.

That is exactly what I do, and a big middle-finger to what they want.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm not sure I understand this question. I go to my library on the B&N.com website and download the books there. Save them to my computer...liberate them from their DRM if I so desire...and use Calibre to organize my eBooks. I haven't downloaded a book in a couple of weeks, but I know I've done it fairly recently...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It sounds like you got bad info from B&N, although no help desk is going to tell you how to strip DRM.

As others have said, on B&N's web site go to My Nook -> My Library and click on the download button next to an ebook. B&N uses a different DRM scheme from most other ePub sellers, but it is just as circumventable. As usual, see Apprentice Alf for DRM issues.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm not sure I understand this question. I go to my library on the B&N.com website and download the books there. Save them to my computer...liberate them from their DRM if I so desire...and use Calibre to organize my eBooks. I haven't downloaded a book in a couple of weeks, but I know I've done it fairly recently...
I've done so tonight. Nothing has changed. The OP isn't clear on what he's trying to do. He says "organize my books," which is easy to do in Calibre, with or without stripping DRM. Reading them without stripping DRM requires the Nook program (which can download directly, I guess, but I don't use it so I'm not sure). For those willing to strip DRM, you get a standard epub that Calibre can convert to nearly any imaginable format.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Most of the big publishers require DRM on their ebooks. B&N is correct, in that, there's not really much they can do about it. You can either decide not to buy any DRM'd books, or buy what you want, remove the DRM, and then organize them with Calibre as you like.

Amazon, B&N, and Sony are all basically the same in that regard, Apple as well, most of what they sell will have DRM attached.
What he said, plus the others. OP, you are being onery.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My recommendation is like what others have already said, apprentice alf for the tools to remove the DRM. Personally I mostly deal with BAEN books which does not add any drm to any of there products, however that is not why I buy from them, I like the products and the prices are great.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure you guys understood my concerns. My bad! As I said, I have a Sony PRS-600 reader and have been using it with Calibre with no problems. What I really like about using Calibre is that, when the Sony is plugged into my notebook PC, I can see all the books that I own in the Calibre library. There is also a list of the books that are on the Sony. There are check marks beside the library books that are also on the Sony and there are check marks beside the books on the Sony that are also in the library. I find that very useful. So far, I haven't figured out how to do that with the Nook. I'd rather not get into stripping the DRM in order to do that. I didn't do that with the Sony.

Since the Sony doesn't have wi-fi, I bought my books from the Sony book store, books on board, or borrowed them from the public library. I then transferred them to the Sony using Calibre. If I choose to operate that same way with B&N, will it operate the same as i'm accustomed to? If so, problem is solved and B&N support should have explained that? I am just frustrated that I can't even tell which books I already own without looking for them on the Nook. Remember that my books come from different sources. So looking in the B&N library doesn't show all my books in one place. I'm not interested in using the "Cloud" or the Nook "archive." I want all my files totally within my control.

Does the above explanation help to clear up my questions?

Dave W
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Books you buy from B&N and download through the device are stored on a hidden partition that isn't accessible to Calibre. It is unfortunate, and there's no way to change it (though you can "root" the device and run a standard version of Android, and have complete control, but I don't think that will let you buy from B&N the same way as the stock device). You could turn off the WiFi on the nook, and treat it just like your Sony, which is to say, buy through B&N's web site, download it, import it to Calibre, and transfer it to the nook, but again, that loses the convenience of shopping directly from the device.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
So far, I haven't figured out how to do that with the Nook. I'd rather not get into stripping the DRM in order to do that. I didn't do that with the Sony.
If you try to add a DRMed book to Calibre, it will refuse to do it. So, if you want to use Calibre to control your ebooks, you have no choice but to install the DRM-removal plugins. Otherwise, Calibre just will refuse to add the books. I do not know what it was about your Sony books that allowed Calibre to use them, but apparently they did not have DRM.

Removing DRM to allow yourself to use Calibre for your purchased books and/or to back them up is a perfectly valid use of DRM-removal, IMHO. Piracy is NOT a valid use, IMHO.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Dave W
Connoisseur

Taustin,

You hit the nail on the head and exactly described the functionality that I've been complaining about. Since I want to operate through Calibre, wi-fi buys me nothing. I will turn it off and buy my books the same way that I did when I was using my Sony. Given that attitude on my part, what is the advantage of buying my books from B&N? I already have accounts with Sony and BoB. It appears that every ebook vendor charges exactly the same price for the same book. I know why that is the case, but I don't agree with it. Bookstores can discount their paper books if they so choose, but not the ebooks. That doesn't make sense to me even though I know (or think I know) why that is the case. I shouldn't discuss that here since it is off topic.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have installed the DRM stripping tools as plug-ins for Calibre, but doubt that I will ever use them.

Dave W
Old 06-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
If you try to add a DRMed book to Calibre, it will refuse to do it. So, if you want to use Calibre to control your ebooks, you have no choice but to install the DRM-removal plugins. Otherwise, Calibre just will refuse to add the books.
This is completely untrue. You can add DRM-protected books to Calibre, store them, and send them to your reader. The only thing that you can't do if a book has DRM is convert it to another format, or edit it in any way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Books you buy from B&N and download through the device are stored on a hidden partition that isn't accessible to Calibre. It is unfortunate, and there's no way to change it (though you can "root" the device and run a standard version of Android, and have complete control, but I don't think that will let you buy from B&N the same way as the stock device). You could turn off the WiFi on the nook, and treat it just like your Sony, which is to say, buy through B&N's web site, download it, import it to Calibre, and transfer it to the nook, but again, that loses the convenience of shopping directly from the device.
That alone is the number one reason to root the simple touches. I will not have any device that I can't access the drives on.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote