Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just a head's up that clicking on "Kindle for Windows 8" takes you to the Windows Store on the Metro side to download the Kindle app. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000844301

If you want the download on the desktop side, download "Kindle for PC": http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311

Quote:
The Kindle for PC app can be used on any computer running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 or 8.1 in Desktop Mode.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just a head's up that clicking on "Kindle for Windows 8" takes you to the Windows Store on the Metro side to download the Kindle app. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000844301

If you want the download on the desktop side, download "Kindle for PC": http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
I was just going to post something similar. That maybe the link to the Win8 Apps was what was confusing people.

Last I remember the Win8 app was not Alf friendly. Not sure if I remember if you could even access the books in a usable format on your computer. Does anyone know if this is still true?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Last I remember the Win8 app was not Alf friendly. Not sure if I remember if you could even access the books in a usable format on your computer. Does anyone know if this is still true?
Still true.
Unalfable. No single local file to access (or even point to).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #34
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Still true.
Unalfable. No single local file to access (or even point to).
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I wonder how long Amazon will let us use the Kindle for PC on our Win8 or later machines that also use Apps?

Karma to you.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I wonder how long Amazon will let us use the Kindle for PC on our Win8 or later machines that also use Apps?

Karma to you.

Carol
At the absolute LEAST until the EOL for Win7, which does not support apps.

Afterward, for as long as Amazon thinks people might want/need to use it?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #36
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
All I can say is that I am sure happy mobileread exists! I don't often boot up in Windows. When I do, it's typically because I need to use either Adobe's DE or Amazon's Kindle for PC. Well, the latter did not work for me today and I could not get anywhere on Amazon's UK web site.

Gave up and went back to Linux to get some real work done.

Got bored and started reading this forum and, lo and behold, there's the answer! It is sad that I need to come here to find out how to upload the latest version of Amazon's software just because the UK site is screwed up.

Thanks all!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Eric, I'm really not sure what you mean when you say that the Amazon UK site is screwed up. If I type "Kindle for PC" into the search box at the top of the home page of the Amazon site, the first item that's returned is a link saying "Download and install the Kindle for PC reading app on your Windows personal computer". Selecting this link takes me to a page with complete download and installation instructions.

Can you explain why you think it's screwed up?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The UK site is still broken for me, too, as I reported back in post #15.

Typing Kindle for PC in the search bar takes me here.

Then selecting the first item (Download & Install the Latest Version of Kindle for PC) takes me here.

... and following the link in step 1 takes me to a 'not a functioning page on our site' error.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #39
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprfan99 View Post
What's ALF?
Google knows all about Apprentice Alf
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #40
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Unhappy New version can't read my books

Hi All
Thank you for all your tips !
I missed this thread due to illness, but promtply checked my KPC and it was not working anymore. Downloaded new version, but it can't read any of my AMZ books. Tried to delete books, re-download, but no joy. Kind of stuck here.
Will experiment some more, and report back
Cheers Per,

Edit: Don't know why, but I have to check each downloaded AMZ book. IF it fails I have to remove it from "MY Device" ie. K4PC, then go to Archived Items, double click the book and it downloads, and that book is OK.
Edit 2: Only got that far after de-/re-registering K4PC

Edit 3: NOW totally confused. Apparently Amazon had some sort of outage, because now syncing seems to work for all my books. Ie. double click the book in K4PC an a "new" one is downloaded.

Last edited by pchrist7; 04-12-2014 at 02:57 AM.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:13 AM   #41
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As jackie_w has said, if I follow the links, I end up getting sent to http://www.amazon.co.uk/KINDLEFORPC which is not a valid page. Comparing this with the US site, the problem is the case. If you replace the upper case path with lower case, you do get to what looks like a reasonable page on the site.

Sloppiness on behalf of Amazon, methinks.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #42
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Sorry if I am missing something, but I don't see any problems with finding the Kindle for PC app on the co.uk wesbite?

From the Amazon home page, hover over the 'Shop By Department' and from the list of all the various departments it's very easy to go to:

> Kindle > Free Kindle Reading Apps. Then click on the relevant link under either smartphones, computers or tablets and there is the download button for the Kindle App you require?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #43
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Sorry if I am missing something, but I don't see any problems with finding the Kindle for PC app on the co.uk wesbite?

From the Amazon home page, hover over the 'Shop By Department' and from the list of all the various departments it's very easy to go to:

> Kindle > Free Kindle Reading Apps. Then click on the relevant link under either smartphones, computers or tablets and there is the download button for the Kindle App you require?
This method also works for me, now you've mentioned it. The problem seems to be how you look for the solution on the website.

My gut instinct was to type 'Kindle for PC' in the search bar and follow the links - leads to broken link.

Next, from UK homepage, Help > Kindle > 2. Download & Install latest version of Kindle for PC - leads to same broken link.

Enough's enough, go to MobileRead Kindle forum and find a helpful thread - this one - problem solved.

It's Amazon UK's website admin which is the problem. So many theoretical routes to the correct solution, so few of them competently maintained.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Ok cool, I just wondered if I was missing something, but I guess I was just looking at it differently - that's the problem with designing websites, we all do look at things differently! My first instinct was to browse the menus for the relevant department, but there will be plenty of people like you who will just try a search for it.

To be fair, I did try the search too.... and I think like HarryT I clicked on the relevant 'Free Kindle Reading App' link/image that appeared at the top of the page, which worked fine. But I can see its also pretty easy just to go the the links listed under results (that makes perfect sense to do that) and end up following a link that doesn't take you anywhere useful.

So yes, there's an out-dated link in the search results on their website, not very clever on their part, but it's not exactly a "screwed up" website though!?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle for pc