Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #61
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We really need a USB-D spec to replace the faulty USB-C spec. We need a new USB spec that can be made correctly in all cases and policed properly. What we have now is dangerous.
This already exists for USB-C: https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd
If the manufacturer chooses to ignore this, then the socket doesn't really matter. USB-A can mess up your device as well.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:28 AM   #62
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
This linked webpage doesn't add much, but it confirms that both the FCC and the Taiwan NCC have run tests on the Kobo Nia.

https://translate.google.com/transla...n/&prev=search

The NCC testing results are linked in the news story (above). It looks pretty much like the FCC test format.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #63
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I don't particularly need USB-C on an eReader (though it would be nice), but I find nothing wrong with the way USB-C is made. If there's really something wrong with the faulty ones, just get a cable from one of the more trusted brands, like Samsung or whatever. I myself have no problems with any of my USB-C cables.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
I don't particularly need USB-C on an eReader (though it would be nice), but I find nothing wrong with the way USB-C is made. If there's really something wrong with the faulty ones, just get a cable from one of the more trusted brands, like Samsung or whatever. I myself have no problems with any of my USB-C cables.
Yeah, I've bought several USB-C cables from Amazon without checking that site first. Maybe I just like living on the edge. So far I have had no computer explosions.

I think the stories are over reported by the same person who uses the eight year old Simple Touch to judge the entire Nook line.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:49 AM   #65
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Well, until now we doesn't know too much: the name, the 16GB card and the battery that is the element that suggests that could be a entry level device.

For curiosity: here Kobo sells again the Aura One (at the usual price of € 229,99). Of course are still on the market Clara (€ 109,99 - against € 129,99 of normal price), Forma (€ 239,99 - against € 279,99 of normal price) and Libra (€ 179,99 - normal price).

They sell two large screen device (Amazon is not present here), one 7" screen device (Amazon has Oasis) and one 6" screen device with 300 DPI which is on the same market segment of Kindle Paperwhite. There is nothing in the entry level segment like Kindle.

But of course these are only speculations, we have to wait an official announce.

Last edited by ps67; 05-03-2020 at 01:52 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #66
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
So, I'm definitely curious about the Nia. Also, Kobo Canada is out of stock on both of the high-end models: the Forma and the Aura One. Quite possibly supply chain problems due to the pandemic.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #67
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
There has been no update to the rumors about the Kobo Nia for a month now. I check everyday to see if there are news. When do you think we might expect an official announcement with specs?
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #68
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
There has been no update to the rumors about the Kobo Nia for a month now. I check everyday to see if there are news. When do you think we might expect an official announcement with specs?
Im curious too. I’m guessing things have been delayed with the pandemic.
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #69
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been watching for news on the Nia, so far no luck... but I did run into this at GoodEReader...

Quote:
Kobo is not resting on their laurels, although their digital sales are up, they are working on a series of ebook readers that will be released later this year. The company has attained FCC certification on a new device called the Kobo Nia. It was designed to be an entry level e-reader, similar to the Kobo Aura Edition 2 or the Kobo Glo. It will be priced likely under $100 and will feature a six inch screen with 300 PPI and an adjustable front-light and color temperature system.
So now (GoodEReader claims) the Nia will be an "entry level" (under $100) reader that will feature a 300 dpi screen and have a "color temperature system?" – I'm pretty sure the Nia will be an entry level reader that will mirror the Tolino Page 2. No "comfort light" and a 212 dpi screen. (I would love to be wrong on this, a non "on sale" less than $100 "Clara" would be nice, especially when it was on sale for $70 or $60.)

And this is (supposedly) just one of a series of Kobos that will be announced later this year? Where does he come up with that?

https://goodereader.com/blog/kobo-er...g-the-pandemic

I'm glad Kobo is having a good year, but why "embellish" it with dubious claims?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've been watching for news on the Nia, so far no luck... but I did run into this at GoodEReader...

So now (GoodEReader claims) the Nia will be an "entry level" (under $100) reader that will feature a 300 dpi screen and have a "color temperature system?" – I'm pretty sure the Nia will be an entry level reader that will mirror the Tolino Page 2. No "comfort light" and a 212 dpi screen. (I would love to be wrong on this, a non "on sale" less than $100 "Clara" would be nice, especially when it was on sale for $70 or $60.)
The new device already exists. It's called the Clara

Quote:
I'm glad Kobo is having a good year, but why "embellish" it with dubious claims?
It's called butts in seats. They have to do something to keep readers coming in.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Well, another Tuesday and, so far, no news on the Kobo Nia. I guess it's kind of a "watched pot doesn't boil" sort of thing.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #72
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, another Tuesday and, so far, no news on the Kobo Nia. I guess it's kind of a "watched pot doesn't boil" sort of thing.
Kobo usually announces at 9 am eastern (or so I thought), I'd wait another few minutes.

I do not know anything about a launch this week (and I'm not playing coy).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #73
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That said, I too spend every Tuesday morning on the edge of my seat.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #74
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Kobo launchng hardware? Not soon.

https://publishingperspectives.com/2...erspectives%29

Quote:

For example, he says, Kobo was accustomed to its factories in China and Taiwan coming to a halt in production during the annual Chinese new year celebrations in January. That, Black Friday in November, and the week leading up to Christmas, he says, are the key tech-industry “high holidays” that normally can affect production and operations.

But of course, this year, the Chinese new year—which he calls “doubly important” because factories close completely in China and Taiwan—was different. “Because everybody who left for new year to go home and visit their families, Tamblyn says, “didn’t come back. For the first time in living memory, the new year holiday at the end of January was extended by a week.” As Wuhan and other zones would become locked down and factory production halted, companies like Kobo were faced with new difficulties in supply.

“How long would it be before we could make new e-readers?” was the question, Tamblyn says.

By February’s end, the company’s manufacturers were back to about 50 percent of capacity
. But they had to think about what would happen if Canada, where Kobo is situated, also came under lockdown. Tamblyn had made a trip to Milan to visit Italian partners and left only shortly before the shutdown of northern Italy had begun.

More at the source.

Note that Kobo isn't the only customer of their manufacturing partners, quite a few of which are larger and have higher priority. And within Kobo many of their regions are bigger markets and bigger priorities than the US. At 50% capacity a two month shutdown means a 4 month delay to the output pipeline. The Nia was announced in March so if it was due by Mother's day is may not show up until August-Sept.

The new reader will show up, probably in limited quanties, someday. Real Soon. Now.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-09-2020 at 11:28 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #75
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Thanks for the link. I liked that they're looking to diversify their manufacturing vendors into other areas. I'm curious how that will play out.

From the link...

Quote:
And what the company had learned in this part of the experience, he says, was that it’s important to diversify vendors beyond one geographical area. It’s not enough to have multiple vendors in the same market, he says. “And the same is true of any children’s book publisher doing all their color printing work in China.”

The fact that one event could stop entire sectors of production?–means diversification of supply chain positioning is ahead.