Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #76
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Oops I trusted Kozlowski.
But anyway: how come the display is not found among eink modules, at
www.eink.com/modules.html
? There is no 5.84'' 1440x720 display!

And if one checks products by "newness" (verbatim, their term), one colour display appears but it is a 600x448 that is probably ACeP:
shopkits.eink.com/product/5-65%cb%9d-e-ink-gallery-palette-4000-epaper-display-ab1024-ega-%e3%80%90display-module-only%e3%80%91/
No but there is https://www.eink.com/color-technology.html this page.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #77
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
I wonder: if past eink color technologies didn't succeed because their washed colors? Is this new one better? Or is it only the market is ready for it now?

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3S mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by viceant; 06-02-2020 at 02:16 AM.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:54 AM   #78
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
But it is not clear how it is engineered, hence detailed pictures should be seen.
The concepts we are using here are strongly metaphors, not facts: it is certainly tinted, it does somehow build colour, but the perceptive trick there is much more unusual than RGB and CMYK: it does not even have black as K, the closest it has to K-black can be the dots partially overlapping the gaps between the tinted bars... Not to mention it does not have white (what I called "mélange")!
We know how the colour filter is overlayed on the 300dpi eInk display. See this post (in this thread!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:05 AM   #79
notwaiting
notwaiting began at the beginning.

Device: mimas a2 a5 max2
The thing I'm more concerned about is the reflective screen. Is this just a matter of a missing or poor choice of protective layer, like on the a2, or it is somehow impossible to include matte like they did with the a5, due to the way that the colour filter works?

The a2 didn't look nice when catching the light and felt like using an ipad, not nice to the touch. And self attached matte screen protectors did not work out well, for me at least.

The colour phone looks good (otherwise) to me in the video. I'll wait for the user reviews.

Last edited by notwaiting; 06-03-2020 at 08:05 AM.
notwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #80
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
We know how the colour filter is overlayed on the 300dpi eInk display. See this post (in this thread!)
There must be a misunderstanding here pdurrant: the matter I am discussing there is not «how the colour filter is overlayed» on the display. You must have seen the picture I have taken, edited and published at post #71: it is taken from that video - I have seen it.

User Yoko22 has stated «if the resolution would be a problem due to the colors wouldn't we see it in the different video online?»
to which the direct answer would be that you need very clear pictures of details to see that.
Those would also reveal «how [rendering] is engineered». This does not reduce to knowing how the filter is made. It has all to do with how the filter is used: what do the rendering algorithms do to make that filter part of the "rendering with colours" goal.

The problem (which is complex and I am taking bits and pieces in this post) is evident by the expressions that Kozlowski has used in his article, such as «PDF rendering engines will display PDF files as an image [at 100 PPI], because that is basically what they are». Kozlowski tries to makes it light for his readers, and does not stick to the maxim of not oversimplifying. His razor is not the redundancy trimmer that would come from Occam; it is more related to Eugene (in "Be careful with that axe Eugene!"). PDF rendering engines of course do translate data into an image, because an image is what goes into a display: but such an image is originally made of at least raster and vector, which require different treatment. It may make sense that raster is assumed as in-colour and rendered as low-res, but the same is not valid for vector - like text -, though not all vector, because it may be flattened to anti-aliased black, or it may be rendered as low-res when in colour, or it may be tinted with a trick like the one I drafted at post #80. Many paths are open, it is not clear how the renderer works, how it interacts with other renderers at different software layers etc. Results must be seen. Just seeing how the hardware is done does not help.

Last edited by mdp; 06-03-2020 at 02:06 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #81
Yoko22
Yoko22 began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5C
"if the resolution would be a problem due to the colors wouldn't we see it in the different video online" By that I was also trying to say that if the resolution is so different we should see it with the naked eyes in the video online but maybe it is not so different so we can't see the different unless we inspect it more closely.

But we are just guessing here, anyone planning on buying that thing and to review it here?
I'm surprised that there are not enough reviews on those product out there, it's annoying when there are so many for other phones. Even the A5 colorless E-ink doesn't have many video reviews on it and it's been released since at least 6 month.
On the A5 there is a lot of text review here fortunately but not many have done a video on it.
Yoko22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #82
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
It looks very much coarse-grained. I like the style as it is reminding me about the 90s home computer era.

Unfortunatelly 100 dpis aren't so much for reading ebooks. If I read a textbook will it have the 'real' black and white 300 dpis?

As for solving the color problem. If they would increase the screen to 900dpi it should be 300dpis in color.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #83
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
It looks very much coarse-grained. I like the style as it is reminding me about the 90s home computer era.

Unfortunatelly 100 dpis aren't so much for reading ebooks. If I read a textbook will it have the 'real' black and white 300 dpis?
The display can display black pixels at 300dpi. The remaining pixels will blur together into white, with a tiny (probably unnoticeable) colour fringe at the black edges. So for black and white documents, it's 300ppi.

It's similar to the ZX Spectrum display, or PAL television. High res B&W with lower resolution colour
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #84
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
I was pretty eager to get a5pro cc, but I guess I'll have to wait for the next phone generation. The goodereader's video comparison of a5c with the color ireader clearly shows that hisense's color eink implementation is not the best.

There's also the video comparison between A5pro and A5pro cc on JD. The a5 pro looks so much better - the screen is clearer, whiter and more evenly lit, and the frontlight has a more natural and less bluish tone. They are explaining the difference between the two models quite well and now I'm set on just getting the a5 pro - that new speed mode looks sweet.

Here is a link to the JD video of A5pro/cc https://vod.300hu.com/4c1f7a6atransb...torageSource=3

CECt shop have also released a video showcasing the A5pro cc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xqkWga0PFo

Last edited by kova4a; 06-05-2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: links
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #85
notwaiting
notwaiting began at the beginning.

Device: mimas a2 a5 max2
Looks like the CC is available.

Quote:
HiSense A5 Pro CC
Ships in 5-8 days
$332.37
It's kind of difficult to decide on this one, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a non-blue, non-reflective, google enabled version in 6 months. (Not that I need google.)
notwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:46 AM   #86
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko22 View Post
"if the resolution would be a problem due to the colors wouldn't we see it in the different video online" By that I was also trying to say that if the resolution is so different we should see it with the naked eyes in the video online but maybe it is not so different so we can't see the different unless we inspect it more closely
You have to have the right video footage. You cannot "see" what happens in a situation if it was not recorded. You should point to some video frames (which must be very high resolution and very crisp - you do realize that the videos and the device have, in general, comparable resolutions, and that video recording is not necessarily as crisp as a static shot (not to mention low-bitrate dynamic compression), right? You should see details of the renderings on the display on a high-res video - like, one quarter of the screen on a four-times as big video), which show possible critical behaviour - text rendered in colour, coexistence of images and text, pdf rendering, rich web pages etc.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #87
mdp
Wizard

I just found on Reddit (from new owner u/ribcookie) a very nice picture of the Hisense a5pro cc.
Still not answering the matter of "How and how well are PDF files rendered" and similar*, but showing very well how the "white-ish mélange" looks like and gives some (reassuring) suggestion about how graphics are treated.

*(note: one of the triggers of my former notes is having kept impressed a FAQ in our forum, about using reflective displays for programming. The practice of programming implies syntax highlighting, which is rendering vectors in many colours. These phones will probably see programming as a very, very unusual practice owing at least to their size, but the question about "How does sky-blue or mauve text look like on some colour-filtered e-ink display based implementation" is very relevant to that aim and similar.
Of course, a question about something more frequent like "Will a tinted link anchor in an hypertext look as clear as the surrounding text" remains valid.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hisense a5pro cc - home crop.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	180023  
Old 06-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #88
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Not all tricks are feasible, nor all tricks are employed. In fact, for example, such device will have to rely heavily on A2 to display video. Now: will such A2 be employed cleverly or not? Because, for example, I have seen devices using a Floyd-Steinberg dithering for A2 rendering: which has the gigantic drawback of using very heavy randomness in a hardware technology which has the characteristic of having a breakthrough low cost in retaining dot state, and conversely a massive cost in changing such dot state (of dots which also have a limited lifetime) - thus losing the power efficiency of E-Ink's EPD. Clever dithering on EPD not only generically looks nice: it is also supposed to change as little dots as possible. Implementation not granted at all.
I believe I have just seen a video, recorded at close range to see the details, of an Hisense phone playing video: it seems to use a naïve dithering for A2 implementation. Not cleverly engineered, it will gratuitously drain your battery.

Well, that described above was just an example of "nor all tricks are employed". Probably a good one: it seems it was also factual.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:29 AM   #89
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a Hisense phone with a matte, non-reflective EPD in the making ? If not - why the hell not ?

Also, is there any update on possible google play functionality in the future ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #90
charlie - uk
Enthusiast
charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox T68 & I86 HD ML+, Hisense A5,A5CC,Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Is there a Hisense phone with a matte, non-reflective EPD in the making ? If not - why the hell not ?

Also, is there any update on possible google play functionality in the future ?
The Hisense A5, has a matt screen protector on it which is OK. I just bought a Hisense A5CC colour e-ink phone, and put a matt screen protector on it, which is OK. Google Play functionality is available for the A5. You'll have to wait a bit for the pro & colour versions....

BROTECT AirGlass Matte Glass Screen Protector for Hisense A5, A5C, A5CC

Last edited by charlie - uk; 07-11-2020 at 01:23 PM.
charlie - uk is offline   Reply With Quote