Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #1
eloigorri
eloigorri began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Page Count not appearing in ipad kindle - mobi format

Hello,
Newbie here.
I have installed the latest version of the page count GUI as per zip archive on this page. I am running Calibre 4.18.0 on a Windows 8 PC.

I see the page count on the Calibre front screen after I run the plug in, but it is not displayed in my Ipad Kindle reader.
I am generating an old format mobi version of my book from a docx word file on a windows 8 PC.
The book looks ok, Table of contents intact and chapters etc where they should be, but no page count when viewed on via my Ipad Kindle reader.

I understand ebooks do not have hard page counts due to formatting variables etc, but on commercial ebooks in kindle there is a page x of y shown in the footer, so some form of dynamic count is possible which I would like to achieve in my books.
Apologies if this has been covered before.

Cheers - E
eloigorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@eloigorri: I don't use a Kindle or app, but their are instructions in the first post are for sending books to e-ink Kindle devices through the USB connection. I do not know of a way to do the same for the apps.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
eloigorri

Thanks for the reply.
I Don't have a problem sending to my iPad kindle.
My issue is trying to embed a page count inside my book.

Ideally I want a page x of y shown at the footer of the book.
The commercial versions of the books l read have this, which l guess gets dynamically recalculated based on layout and font settings.
I understood your GUI provided this feature via the #pages variable?

After running your GUI I get a page count displayed on the screen stats in Calibre, but it does not appear anywhere when I view the book on the iPad kindle app.

Cheers. E
Old 06-14-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloigorri View Post
HI understand ebooks do not have hard page counts due to formatting variables etc, but on commercial ebooks in kindle there is a page x of y shown in the footer, so some form of dynamic count is possible which I would like to achieve in my books.
Page numbers shown for Kindle e-books are called "real page numbers" by Amazon. They are based on a specific print edition of the same book and do not vary based on the layout or font size chosen when reading.

Quote:
I see the page count on the Calibre front screen after I run the plug in, but it is not displayed in my Ipad Kindle reader.
I am generating an old format mobi version of my book from a docx word file on a windows 8 PC.
The book looks ok, Table of contents intact and chapters etc where they should be, but no page count when viewed on via my Ipad Kindle reader.
Page numbers not included within a MOBI file. They are conveyed in a separate file with the extension ".apnx". Calibre is able to create these APNX files and deliver them to the correct place when sending books to an e-ink Kindle device over USB.

I have not tested it, but you may be able to do the equivalent if you generate an APNX file and transfer it to the Kindle app yourself using iTunes. You would need to work out the details of the steps involved to do that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
eloigorri

Thank you very much for the detailed response.
I am new to ebooks, so please forgive the basic nature of my questions.

I am not particularly tied to the .mobi format. All I want is a format that Kindle or eBooks app can read within which the current/ total page numbers are embedded. I think trying to get Kindle app on the Ipad to merge the separate .apnx file will not be easy, since I have to email the file in order to get the Ipad Kindle to accept the book.
Using Itunes/USB I cannot "see" these books in any public directory, nor does there appear to be any way to access them or manipulate them.

Is there a better format that would achieve what I want, or is there any way for me to hard code the "real page numbers" ?

Cheers - E
Old 06-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think trying to get Kindle app on the Ipad to merge the separate .apnx file will not be easy, since I have to email the file in order to get the Ipad Kindle to accept the book.
You cannot merge the MOBI and APNX files. They need to be transfered separately.

I don't know of any way to get page numbers to work in a personal document created by emailing a book to your Kindle device/app.

Quote:
Using Itunes/USB I cannot "see" these books in any public directory, nor does there appear to be any way to access them or manipulate them.
iTunes allows you to send files to an installed app. See: Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device for instructions.

I don't know whether or not that method can be used to make page numbers work.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
eloigorri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You cannot merge the MOBI and APNX files. They need to be transfered separately.

I don't know of any way to get page numbers to work in a personal document created by emailing a book to your Kindle device/app.

iTunes allows you to send files to an installed app. See: Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device for instructions.

I don't know whether or not that method can be used to make page numbers work.
Thanks. Unfortunately when I try this method, Itunes will only send recognised file types supported by the app, so it would only allow me to transfer the .mobi file.
If I understand correctly there are no other ebook file types that embed the page numbers inside the same file?
This just seems such a basic requirement to me and yet it seems almost impossible to achieve.
I would have expected page numbers to be a fundamental part of an ebooks structure, or does it just depend on the reader?

Cheers - E
Old 06-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Unfortunately when I try this method, Itunes will only send recognised file types supported by the app, so it would only allow me to transfer the .mobi file.
That is odd. Are you using a Mac or PC?

I have the latest iTunes version (12.10.7.3) installed on my Windows PC and I am able to use the File Sharing feature to send files of any type to the Kindle app. It only works within iTunes, not using the file sharing feature of the iOS device itself.

Quote:
If I understand correctly there are no other ebook file types that embed the page numbers inside the same file?
This just seems such a basic requirement to me and yet it seems almost impossible to achieve.
I would have expected page numbers to be a fundamental part of an ebooks structure, or does it just depend on the reader?
It depends on the reader and file format. EPUB files can have page numbers built in, but that requires a non-Kindle app for reading. Within the Kindle formats, KFX supports page numbers within a single file.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
eloigorri

Many thanks,
It looks like Epub works much better than what I can currently produce for Kindle.
I have now installed your KFX output plugin and attempting to install the Kindle Preview program.
Thanks for your contribution to my thread and your plugins.

cheers - E
Old 06-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks for your contribution to my thread and your plugins.
Moderator Notice

I created this thread my moving the posts from the Count Pages thread.

@eliogorri - Please don't add to existing threads if your issue is not specific to the purpose of the thread creator. This especially applies to Plugin threads which are created (and owned) by the developer.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote