Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #151
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
"you do you"
Not only does this just bug me as ungrammatical shorthand, in online forum conversations (have seen this elsewhere more than on mobileread) it's often used by a person who thinks they are smarter than the person they are talking to. It's become shorthand for "yeah, you're an idiot, so do whatever the heck you want."
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #152
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
"Amazing must see video"
(I immediately click not interested.)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #153
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Virtual anything and everything.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #154
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Wait, there's more!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #155
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Bubble' for labelling the non frivolous.

I get 'playgroup bubbles', but when Premiers (Governors) and Commissioners of Police talk about 'border bubbles', when they mean 'restricted travel zones' I leave the room.

BR
Old 07-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #156
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
"vegan leather" has a grandparent "White chocolade"
Either the stuff with cocoa in it, OR that hardened white goo. NOT both.

One of my peeves is (in germany) "quantum jump" (Quantensprung) when meaning a
"great leap" in science or whatever whilst it actually is f* SHORT IN DISTANCE. AAARGH.

OR when they say here "it runs" meaning "its going well" I so want to say: go and get some diapers then.

what I really hated was "differently abled" (is that still in use?) in English. Differently?
Unless you can prove that you develop psionic powers or tastebuds on your fingertips when I cut your legs off or poke your eyes out - spare me that euphemistic drivel.

OR current german "educationally distant" (bildungsfern) ... great; we took PC to such a mastership, that we can say "dumb" in a way dumb people don't understand.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #157
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
"vegan leather" has a grandparent "White chocolade"
Either the stuff with cocoa in it, OR that hardened white goo. NOT both.

One of my peeves is (in germany) "quantum jump" (Quantensprung) when meaning a
"great leap" in science or whatever whilst it actually is f* SHORT IN DISTANCE. AAARGH.

OR when they say here "it runs" meaning "its going well" I so want to say: go and get some diapers then.

what I really hated was "differently abled" (is that still in use?) in English. Differently?
Unless you can prove that you develop psionic powers or tastebuds on your fingertips when I cut your legs off or poke your eyes out - spare me that euphemistic drivel.

OR current german "educationally distant" (bildungsfern) ... great; we took PC to such a mastership, that we can say "dumb" in a way dumb people don't understand.
The wording for handicapped/disabled/physically challenged/differently abled changes over time - whatever the next term is will probably be even more awkward!

I kinda like the "educationally distant" term- I'd like to apply that to some politicians but won't name names here in order to stay out of the politics and religion territory
Old 07-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #158
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The wording for handicapped/disabled/physically challenged/differently abled changes over time - whatever the next term is will probably be even more awkward!
AFAIR the idea of "inventing" this new wordings which came long ago before the PolCorr-era roots in the wish to linguistically separate the homecoming war-damaged soldiers from 'common cripples' and thus de-stigmatising this subset of veterans.
As a result of this the authority (them politicos) always came up with a new one when the previous one became fully derogative/offensive.

So yes, I too think the next one will even be more moronic in °p [(read "degree of p.o.o.") read "percent of optimism"]
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #159
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
AFAIR the idea of "inventing" this new wordings which came long ago before the PolCorr-era roots in the wish to linguistically separate the homecoming war-damaged soldiers from 'common cripples' and thus de-stigmatising this subset of veterans.
As a result of this the authority (them politicos) always came up with a new one when the previous one became fully derogative/offensive.

So yes, I too think the next one will even be more moronic in °p [(read "degree of p.o.o.") read "percent of optimism"]
That's the thing. They keep trying to come up with something that can't be turned into an insult. This bothers the people who like to insult.

Back on topic. "I'm just saying." That has got to be one of the cheesiest, smarmiest phrases ever.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #160
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
(has this already been mentioned?)

"It goes without saying ..."

Then go without saying it. Please.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:39 AM   #161
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

'learnings' rather than 'lessons'

It maybe local.

We have a judicial inquiry running with barristers (attorneys) interrogating doctors and officials. Whenever a doctor uses a term like 'learnings from Wuhan', the barristers wince along with me. It's the best daytime TV we have at the moment

BR
Old 09-18-2020, 01:03 AM   #162
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
COVID-19.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:23 AM   #163
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Does not bother me, but two of my oldest pals hate it in US TV shows where someone addresses a group of men and women as 'you guys'!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #164
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
Does not bother me, but two of my oldest pals hate it in US TV shows where someone addresses a group of men and women as 'you guys'!
One of my very peeviest peeves. I am not a guy. Even a group of just women will get this.

And it’s so unnecessary. There’s nothing wrong with only “you” as a plural pronoun (which is what it is technically, anyway).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #165
4691mls
Wizard

"You guys" doesn't bother me as a woman if it's an informal conversation among friends. I think "guys" has become synonymous with "people" and depending on the context, isn't always gender-specific these days.

I recall on some forum I was reading someone complaining about being addressed this way by a waiter in a restaurant. I would agree it's inappropriate in that circumstance.

Of course here in the South we're much more likely to just say "y'all" which pretty much covers everybody of any gender