Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Arrow
Arrow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question about export\import

Hi,

I recently made an import of all my library from a laptop into a desktop hdd.

My problem is that after export the folders are not the same size (desktop folder shows less size and files) BUT i have compared both Calibre libraries and they have the same amount of books and all the same features.

I don't really remember if i did any change in the laptop's library in between the process, but i don't think so.

How do i know if i did everything right or should i copy the entire library main folder into the desktop instead of import/export? Is there a way to quantify everything to be sure both libraries are a full 100% copy?

Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There could bejunk files in your old library folder that the export import process will discard. Run check licbrary to see that ont he old computer
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Arrow

I did, and still around 400 mb, ~20 thousand files and ~900 folders difference.

I've checked all main preferences and configs, and everything seems alike. Same total of books and authors, icons are present, yes\no seems correct, custom columns, even saved searches. I can't find a major error and 20 thousand files just seems too much.

I must presume that when the import was created, it erased many junk files. It's probably the best explanation. I think.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you run Library Maintenance->Library Check as suggested by KG. Export won't copy anything that's not in the database - the third stage of Library check will report such things. And, the calibre GUI would not see such things on the old library.

You could try a folder/file comparison tool ==>> Comparison of file comparison tools - Wikipedia

I have Beyond Compare.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-19-2019 at 03:31 AM. Reason: first para
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
Arrow

Yes i did, and nothing happened.

However, i found out where the differences are: as far as i can tell, the export didn't copy any metadata.opf files at all. I only have the ebook itself and the cover.

Regarding the folders difference, i think that is related to my physical books entries: the new calibre collection does not recognize any empty folder (meaning those books where i didn't add any cover yet).
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
metadata.opf files are just backups they will be automatically re-generated in the new library with time. And empty books wiht no files are simple datbase entries so until their bacup metadata.opf file is generated, they will not be present on the filesystem
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
Arrow

Alright, so i'm confident that everything was correctly done, and i have a full 100% backup. Thank you all.

Tags
import export backup