Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And I would hate having every book opening on the cover. I also don't want a never ending list of "adjustments" to personalize my Kindles.
I understand. I'm not saying you should like the book opening at the cover ... I was saying IF I had a choice that's the way I would want it to work. When I read a book I (personally) always want to start at the cover. So, with a Kindle, it's always, open the book, hit the Menu and go to cover. As for "not wanting endless adjustments" — first, they wouldn't be "endless" (that's a bit of hyperbole) — second, if you were happy with the defaults you wouldn't have to worry about the "adjustments" (I'll call them "choices") at all. So we could both be completely happy with our Kindles if these choices were provided.

Quote:
I think Kindle knows that making everyone happy is impossible because some have no intention of ever being happy.
I don't really think Amazon cares about these user choices... yet. It's kind of like Microsoft with Windows 8. No one liked the user interface, but Microsoft figured they didn't have anywhere else to go. They eventually figured out users did have somewhere to STAY, they just kept using Windows 7. Eventually Microsoft adjusted to their users. (And Amazon has been doing that with Kindles also — we can now add fonts, you can turn the new home page off, now the Oasis is going to have a night light... etc. So it's not out of the question that Amazon could make further changes that enhance some user's experiences. There's still hope for my opening a book at the cover, after all!)

EDIT: To clarify... Kindles and Windows 8 are not the same. Basically almost nobody like Windows 8 — I'm guessing the majority of users like their Kindles (as I do). But there's still room for improvement (in my opinion).

Last edited by rcentros; 07-14-2019 at 08:29 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #47
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Amazon are driven by marketing concerns. Not what readers might be happy with. Sadly true with Kobo, Sony, Barnes & Noble etc.
Everybody is driven by marketing concerns. Even publishers and writers. As for making readers happy? You don't have to make every reader happy, it is good enough to have a lot of them happy. Just like rcrentos said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing the majority of users like their Kindles (as I do). But there's still room for improvement (in my opinion).
If they weren't happy, they wouldn't be buying them.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are Kindles every going to get an option to actually turn it off?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #49
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
RCENTROS: "I don't really think Amazon cares about these user choices... yet. It's kind of like Microsoft with Windows 8. No one liked the user interface, but Microsoft figured they didn't have anywhere else to go.a"

You got it. "No one liked...." No one? Not one person? And, of course, Microsoft and Users moved on and are now using Windows 10.

We have evidence of Kindle meeting the needs, even the ridiculous needs, of users. A group of users wanted mechanical buttons so they got mechanical buttons. I wanted my Paperwhite to tell me which books I'd read and which were waiting to be read. Kindle did it.

I enjoy reading on my Paperwhite. If I didn't, I'd got to another ereader or buy paper books again. There are other ebook readers available. Lots of options.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
And we got the larger screen, the boldness slider, custom fonts. I wouldn't say Amazon cares nothing about what the customers want. It obviously depends on how many people want a specific thing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And we got the larger screen, the boldness slider, custom fonts. I wouldn't say Amazon cares nothing about what the customers want. It obviously depends on how many people want a specific thing.
Wrong. It depends if Kobo does it first. Nothing to do with what users want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Wrong. It depends if Kobo does it first. Nothing to do with what users want.
But Amazon often does it better. Like adjusting the weight of custom fonts. You need a patch for it to work well on a Kobo, no such problems on a Kindle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Well, technically, you need a patch to make it work at all on custom fonts, that's it. It doesn't actually affect the behavior of the feature itself, just what you can apply it to.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
RCENTROS: "I don't really think Amazon cares about these user choices... yet. It's kind of like Microsoft with Windows 8. No one liked the user interface, but Microsoft figured they didn't have anywhere else to go.a"

You got it. "No one liked...." No one? Not one person? And, of course, Microsoft and Users moved on and are now using Windows 10.
Which works much more like Windows 7. And your point?

Quote:
We have evidence of Kindle meeting the needs, even the ridiculous needs, of users. A group of users wanted mechanical buttons so they got mechanical buttons. I wanted my Paperwhite to tell me which books I'd read and which were waiting to be read. Kindle did it.

I enjoy reading on my Paperwhite. If I didn't, I'd got to another ereader or buy paper books again. There are other ebook readers available. Lots of options.
AGAIN (and try to listen to me this time) I like my Kindles also. I would just like them to have options to work differently. You may call these "ridiculous needs." I call them desirable choices. I can't figure why any criticism or suggestion about certain products is so often met with ridicule by some by some its users. I am NEVER, EVER going to be a vacuous fanboy to carry water for any company. If I don't like something about a product I'm going to mention it. Is that okay with you? I didn't sign up for "Team Kindle," just because I bought (more than) one of them. Kindles didn't descend from "on high."

Last edited by rcentros; 07-16-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #55
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If they weren't happy, they wouldn't be buying them.
Even people happy with their Kindles (like me) can suggest options to make them better, in my opinion. Or is any suggestion or criticism now verboten?

Sorry, but I'm getting a little fed up with "take or leave it" mindset that some (one in particular) seems to have on this subject. "Works perfectly for me" doesn't mean it "works perfectly for everybody."

Just saying.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are Kindles every going to get an option to actually turn it off?
I think turning completely off (after a certain amount of time) is one reason Sony Readers' batteries last so long. I'm also guessing they might have had better quality batteries.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 AM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Even people happy with their Kindles (like me) can suggest options to make them better, in my opinion. Or is any suggestion or criticism now verboten?

Sorry, but I'm getting a little fed up with "take or leave it" mindset that some (one in particular) seems to have on this subject. "Works perfectly for me" doesn't mean it "works perfectly for everybody."
Agreed. I like my Kindles for the most part (multiple PW3s and PW4s). Certainly better than I like my Kobos, at least. However, there are features that I'd like to see them add or improve.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Agreed. I like my Kindles for the most part (multiple PW3s and PW4s). Certainly better than I like my Kobos, at least. However, there are features that I'd like to see them add or improve.
I got my first Paperwhite 2 and like it a lot, though I'm currently doing most of my reading on my Tolino Shine and Vision (because I borrowed a couple books from the library before the Paperwhite arrived). I wouldn't really like either the Tolinos or the Paperwhite if I couldn't install the custom, dark font, Deja Vu Serif E-Book. The built-in fonts don't have enough contrast for my weird eyes. So, without the relatively new custom font feature on the Kindle, I wouldn't have liked it at all. The Bitter font on the Tolinos worked fairly well, but I like the Deja Vu font much better on them also.

As for Kobos (and the Nook I was about to buy) I'm thinking it's about time to simplify. I'll keep a Kobo (probably the Mini and maybe a Touch) and my old Nook Simple Touches (one with front-light) because of nostalgia, but I think any new (or newer) eReaders I buy will be Kindles or Tolinos. Right now I don't see the need to buy either, even though Amazon is trying to tempt me with the Prime Day sale on Kindles. (Same with the Sonys, probably keep more of them just because they're basically worthless for selling and I do like the way they're built.)

Last edited by rcentros; 07-16-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:36 AM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
There's a lot of things Kindle does better. Better dictionary for one. And the touch sensitivity and response seems much better to me on the Kindles. (The Tolinos are pretty close but the Kobos aren't — at least not the old Kobos I have.)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #60
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
And, we got:
A. Lights
B. A "read" designation
C. X-Ray, which for me is useful.
D. A clock on the screen which a lot of people asked for
E. I want mechanical buttons about as much as I want a hand-crank to start my car but if people want buttons they can get them.
F. Oh, and colored lights again for those who want them
G. Waterproofing--that's nice--I don't have a bathtub or a swimming pool but I do sometimes spill my coffee.
H. And, one of the best things for me....excellent customer service.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote