Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Firefox on e-ink display!

I saw this juicy bit of hacking reported over at Ars this morning (and not yet posted here?)

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...k-display.html
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Almost... I was just writing about it when you beat me to it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36867
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Web browsing is one of the features I've wanted to see on an eInk device since forever. Sure the Kindle has it, but that browser appears too limited and, more importantly, it relies on the Sprint data service (which isn't available out where I live). I may be tempted to purchase whichever platform this would eventually be ported to.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Truth is, I hope this doesn't catch on. All I want for my ebook reader to do is read books. If I wanted a device to surf the web, play mp3's, and store data I'd get a laptop...oh wait...

Look, every new feature they add to a reader simply increases the cost. If you want a one device do all get a tablet PC. But someday I'd like to be able to spend just $50 on some cheap e-ink device without all the frills
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Adding a web browser will probably stimulate the development of web pages suitable for eInk devices. You might not want to browse as you do today. But I would really like to be able to read an ePub book with a browser on my eInk device and just clik on a word to get the wikipedia entry for it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
Truth is, I hope this doesn't catch on. All I want for my ebook reader to do is read books. If I wanted a device to surf the web, play mp3's, and store data I'd get a laptop...oh wait...

Look, every new feature they add to a reader simply increases the cost. If you want a one device do all get a tablet PC. But someday I'd like to be able to spend just $50 on some cheap e-ink device without all the frills
The problem with existing web capable devices is that they aren't very usable in daylight. My PDA phone is sorta visible, but only when I crank the backlight up to its maximum setting (which obviously kills the battery life).

If the device's OS is flexible enough, and it includes WiFi already, then why not upload a free browser like Firefox?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Adding a web browser will probably stimulate the development of web pages suitable for eInk devices. You might not want to browse as you do today. But I would really like to be able to read an ePub book with a browser on my eInk device and just clik on a word to get the wikipedia entry for it.
i would LOVE that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i would LOVE that.
I'm pretty sure you can do that on the Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
maybe YOU can do that on the Kindle, but *i* can't.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
maybe YOU can do that on the Kindle, but *i* can't.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:

BOb
As I said before, the browser only works in areas with that bloody Sprint service. The lack thereof is one of only two things I can think of that France and North East Nevada have in common (the other being a sizable Basque population).
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
As I said before, the browser only works in areas with that bloody Sprint service. The lack thereof is one of only two things I can think of that France and North East Nevada have in common (the other being a sizable Basque population).
I guess then I am happy in live in civilization.

If you don't get a Sprint signal, I don't know how it will magically work with some other reader.

BOb
Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
I guess then I am happy in live in civilization.

If you don't get a Sprint signal, I don't know how it will magically work with some other reader.

BOb
If it uses WiFi, or at least a wireless service that is available in the area (Alltel and Verizon in my case). I suppose the former is preferable, since none of the wireless providers give 100% national coverage.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
If it uses WiFi, or at least a wireless service that is available in the area (Alltel and Verizon in my case). I suppose the former is preferable, since none of the wireless providers give 100% national coverage.
if it uses wifi, shouldn't it work all over the world, anywhere wifi is available ? (a lot more places than any single wireless telephone operator, i think. including france, btw. ).
Old 01-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You need to get one of the femtocell things from Sprint. Then you can use it in you home. Or er, you could use a USB cable. I know that is soooo 2007.

BOb