Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
yabba235
Member Retired
yabba235 began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage
It is possible replace u-boot & uImage ?

Hi !
I spend long time for answer for simple question:
my KV has upgrade to 5.8.10 so I can't downgrade to fw 5.5.0 and jb etc.
But I thinking this happen because newest uboot/uImage blocking update initial fw.
So maybe is possible replace new uboot/uImage with older version exstracted from eg. fw 5.6.5 and downgrade to fw 5.5.0 ??

Do I think right ?
yabba235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
Hi !
But I thinking this happen because newest uboot/uImage blocking update initial fw.
So maybe is possible replace new uboot/uImage with older version exstracted from eg. fw 5.6.5 and downgrade to fw 5.5.0 ??

Do I think right ?
If you are willing to risk your KV, try it. Otherwise, I don't know.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
coplate
Evangelist
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Hi !

Do I think right ?
If you can figure out a way to replace uboot an uImage, then yes you can :-)

But if you can do that, then you can also figure out a way to do everything else :-)

The currently known way to do this is to use a serial port.
coplate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Hi !

Do I think right ?
No, you do not think right.

U-Boot has nothing to do with OTA updates or image update installation.
The initramfs portion of the kernel portion of uImage has one of the OTA updaters.
You will have to decompile and study it.

The other OTA updater is in the 'main' system.
You can just mount the rootfs image from an Amazon update package and study it.

= = = =

But before you waste too much of your lifetime on all of that -
Think this through:
"If we (or you) could write something to the device's storage, don't you think we would just write the 250 byte signature certificate and be done with it all?"

(Which is what coplate said above - if we could write a new u-boot, then we could also write a new (our) signature certificate.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
yabba235
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No, you do not think right.

U-Boot has nothing to do with OTA updates or image update installation.
The initramfs portion of the kernel portion of uImage has one of the OTA updaters.
You will have to decompile and study it.

The other OTA updater is in the 'main' system.
You can just mount the rootfs image from an Amazon update package and study it.

= = = =

But before you waste too much of your lifetime on all of that -
Think this through:
"If we (or you) could write something to the device's storage, don't you think we would just write the 250 byte signature certificate and be done with it all?"

(Which is what coplate said above - if we could write a new u-boot, then we could also write a new (our) signature certificate.)
I you shure ?

In my voyage when I put in recovery uboot mode I can't load mmc image file from usb storage - " command '3' unknown " so I supose this function is disable in my u-boot version.

And fw 5.8.10 don't have diagnostic kernel : command bootm 0xE41000 load kernel but stuck in init : partition with init file missing

I would like to know the steps to load uimage and u-boot from file to mmc space using fastboot and serial cable because I did not find a clear description (the github is a description but for PW not KV and no image files for KV) I'm using mac mini myself, but I have no way to compile the software on it
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 AM   #6
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In my voyage when I put in recovery uboot mode I can't load mmc image file from usb storage - " command '3' unknown " so I supose this function is disable in my u-boot version.

And fw 5.8.10 don't have diagnostic kernel : command bootm 0xE41000 load kernel but stuck in init : partition with init file missing

I would like to know the steps to load uimage and u-boot from file to mmc space using fastboot and serial cable because I did not find a clear description (the github is a description but for PW not KV and no image files for KV) I'm using mac mini myself, but I have no way to compile the software on it
Yes, I am sure.
If you do not accept the answers to your questions, why do you bother to waste your time and ours with the asking?

No, it is not disabled.
It is just reporting that you are making an error.

How do you intend to load firmware you do not have?

None of Amazon's update packages ship a diag system.
The Kindle goes through life with the one it has when it leaves the factory.
And that one was programmed into the eMMC before they where soldered to the board.

How did you manage to erase the second partition of the eMMC?
That is where the diag file system (and its init) lives.

Why don't you just use the files from the backup you made before you started changing things?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690
That is how to make a full backup of all the files you might accidentally destroy.

Your best choice now is to purchase a new KV and recover from it the files that you need.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
yabba235
Member Retired

Quote:
Yes, I am sure.
If you do not accept the answers to your questions, why do you bother to waste your time and ours with the asking?

Don't be nervous - I I just asking for right answer

No, it is not disabled.
It is just reporting that you are making an error.

How do you intend to load firmware you do not have?

None of Amazon's update packages ship a diag system.
The Kindle goes through life with the one it has when it leaves the factory.
And that one was programmed into the eMMC before they where soldered to the board.

How did you manage to erase the second partition of the eMMC?
That is where the diag file system (and its init) lives.

Belive me: I don't erase, so I don;t know why this diag kernel is gone

Why don't you just use the files from the backup you made before you started changing things?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690
That is how to make a full backup of all the files you might accidentally destroy.

Because I don't any backup files, as you know : my interesing hacking kindle is only ocasionally, not clue of life

Your best choice now is to purchase a new KV and recover from it the files that you need.

No , I only need diag kernel image from KV
I'm looking for right way to this, thanks for patience and any helping answer !
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
I'm looking for right way to this, thanks for patience and any helping answer !
Until you give details of what you have done and what you are doing, I can give no better answer.

That is:
Your "looking for right way to this" without defining "this" is impossible to answer.
Not defining what point you are at now makes it impossible to answer.

If you don't know what your starting point is, tell us all you have done and why.
We might be able to figure out what advice you need.

You probably should go to a web-site in your own language for your answers.
There are 1.4*10^9 people in your country, somebody knows the answers.

Last edited by knc1; 08-23-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
coplate
Evangelist
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
I you shure ?

How are you getting into fastbioot mode?

Do you have the serial cable hooked up?
coplate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
How are you getting into fastbioot mode?

Do you have the serial cable hooked up?
my guess: bist fastboot

yes, that is the only way to enter: bootm
yes, that is the only way to interact with the recovery menu.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
yabba235
Member Retired

OK, now I know I looking for image file of diagnostic kernel and diagnostic system for KV.
If any help me get it I using fastboot to recovery it.
Without it I nothing to do...
Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
OK, now I know I looking for image file of diagnostic kernel and diagnostic system for KV.
If any help me get it I using fastboot to recovery it.
Without it I nothing to do...
Find someone else with at KV.
Have them run the script I pointed you at.
Then just use the diag-uImage.bin and diagsys.bin files.
That is the only way to get those files, off of a working device.

It begins to sound as if you tried the "Erase All" selection.
That is about the only way you could have damaged the alternate system.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #13
yabba235
Member Retired

Quote:
Find someone else with at KV.
Have them run the script I pointed you at.
Then just use the diag-uImage.bin and diagsys.bin files.
That is the only way to get those files, off of a working device.

It begins to sound as if you tried the "Erase All" selection.
That is about the only way you could have damaged the alternate system.
I do not believe that you do not have copies of these images, but how do I understand that I can not count on help here?
You only help each other, someone from the outside is stranger?

Bye, bye big dev
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
I do not believe that you do not have copies of these images, but how do I understand that I can not count on help here?

Bye, bye big dev
You are correct.
It is all a big conspiracy against people "from the outside", just to make life harder for yourself.

I backup my devices the moment I take them out of the box.
Why did you not do the same?
There is no way you can blame me for your not backing up your device before changing it.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Bye, bye big dev
How can I have a copy of your kindle?
Yes, we do typically only help those willing to help themselves.
You must have us mixed up with someone else.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote