Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
yabba235
Member Retired
yabba235 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: Voyage
It is possible replace u-boot & uImage ?

Hi !
I spend long time for answer for simple question:
my KV has upgrade to 5.8.10 so I can't downgrade to fw 5.5.0 and jb etc.
But I thinking this happen because newest uboot/uImage blocking update initial fw.
So maybe is possible replace new uboot/uImage with older version exstracted from eg. fw 5.6.5 and downgrade to fw 5.5.0 ??

Do I think right ?
yabba235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cinisajoy's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,551
Karma: 77381283
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
Hi !
I spend long time for answer for simple question:
my KV has upgrade to 5.8.10 so I can't downgrade to fw 5.5.0 and jb etc.
But I thinking this happen because newest uboot/uImage blocking update initial fw.
So maybe is possible replace new uboot/uImage with older version exstracted from eg. fw 5.6.5 and downgrade to fw 5.5.0 ??

Do I think right ?
If you are willing to risk your KV, try it. Otherwise, I don't know.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
coplate
Evangelist
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 483
Karma: 1253368
Join Date: Jun 2009
Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
Hi !
I spend long time for answer for simple question:
my KV has upgrade to 5.8.10 so I can't downgrade to fw 5.5.0 and jb etc.
But I thinking this happen because newest uboot/uImage blocking update initial fw.
So maybe is possible replace new uboot/uImage with older version exstracted from eg. fw 5.6.5 and downgrade to fw 5.5.0 ??

Do I think right ?
If you can figure out a way to replace uboot an uImage, then yes you can :-)

But if you can do that, then you can also figure out a way to do everything else :-)

The currently known way to do this is to use a serial port.
coplate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,238
Karma: 16600525
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
Hi !
I spend long time for answer for simple question:
my KV has upgrade to 5.8.10 so I can't downgrade to fw 5.5.0 and jb etc.
But I thinking this happen because newest uboot/uImage blocking update initial fw.
So maybe is possible replace new uboot/uImage with older version exstracted from eg. fw 5.6.5 and downgrade to fw 5.5.0 ??

Do I think right ?
No, you do not think right.

U-Boot has nothing to do with OTA updates or image update installation.
The initramfs portion of the kernel portion of uImage has one of the OTA updaters.
You will have to decompile and study it.

The other OTA updater is in the 'main' system.
You can just mount the rootfs image from an Amazon update package and study it.

= = = =

But before you waste too much of your lifetime on all of that -
Think this through:
"If we (or you) could write something to the device's storage, don't you think we would just write the 250 byte signature certificate and be done with it all?"

(Which is what coplate said above - if we could write a new u-boot, then we could also write a new (our) signature certificate.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
yabba235
Member Retired
yabba235 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No, you do not think right.

U-Boot has nothing to do with OTA updates or image update installation.
The initramfs portion of the kernel portion of uImage has one of the OTA updaters.
You will have to decompile and study it.

The other OTA updater is in the 'main' system.
You can just mount the rootfs image from an Amazon update package and study it.

= = = =

But before you waste too much of your lifetime on all of that -
Think this through:
"If we (or you) could write something to the device's storage, don't you think we would just write the 250 byte signature certificate and be done with it all?"

(Which is what coplate said above - if we could write a new u-boot, then we could also write a new (our) signature certificate.)
I you shure ?

In my voyage when I put in recovery uboot mode I can't load mmc image file from usb storage - " command '3' unknown " so I supose this function is disable in my u-boot version.

And fw 5.8.10 don't have diagnostic kernel : command bootm 0xE41000 load kernel but stuck in init : partition with init file missing

I would like to know the steps to load uimage and u-boot from file to mmc space using fastboot and serial cable because I did not find a clear description (the github is a description but for PW not KV and no image files for KV) I'm using mac mini myself, but I have no way to compile the software on it
yabba235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 AM   #6
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,238
Karma: 16600525
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
In my voyage when I put in recovery uboot mode I can't load mmc image file from usb storage - " command '3' unknown " so I supose this function is disable in my u-boot version.

And fw 5.8.10 don't have diagnostic kernel : command bootm 0xE41000 load kernel but stuck in init : partition with init file missing


I would like to know the steps to load uimage and u-boot from file to mmc space using fastboot and serial cable because I did not find a clear description (the github is a description but for PW not KV and no image files for KV) I'm using mac mini myself, but I have no way to compile the software on it
Yes, I am sure.
If you do not accept the answers to your questions, why do you bother to waste your time and ours with the asking?

No, it is not disabled.
It is just reporting that you are making an error.

How do you intend to load firmware you do not have?

None of Amazon's update packages ship a diag system.
The Kindle goes through life with the one it has when it leaves the factory.
And that one was programmed into the eMMC before they where soldered to the board.

How did you manage to erase the second partition of the eMMC?
That is where the diag file system (and its init) lives.

Why don't you just use the files from the backup you made before you started changing things?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690
That is how to make a full backup of all the files you might accidentally destroy.

Your best choice now is to purchase a new KV and recover from it the files that you need.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
yabba235
Member Retired
yabba235 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, I am sure.
If you do not accept the answers to your questions, why do you bother to waste your time and ours with the asking?

Don't be nervous - I I just asking for right answer


No, it is not disabled.
It is just reporting that you are making an error.

How do you intend to load firmware you do not have?

None of Amazon's update packages ship a diag system.
The Kindle goes through life with the one it has when it leaves the factory.
And that one was programmed into the eMMC before they where soldered to the board.

How did you manage to erase the second partition of the eMMC?
That is where the diag file system (and its init) lives.


Belive me: I don't erase, so I don;t know why this diag kernel is gone

Why don't you just use the files from the backup you made before you started changing things?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690
That is how to make a full backup of all the files you might accidentally destroy.

Because I don't any backup files, as you know : my interesing hacking kindle is only ocasionally, not clue of life

Your best choice now is to purchase a new KV and recover from it the files that you need.

No , I only need diag kernel image from KV
I'm looking for right way to this, thanks for patience and any helping answer !
yabba235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,238
Karma: 16600525
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
I'm looking for right way to this, thanks for patience and any helping answer !
Until you give details of what you have done and what you are doing, I can give no better answer.

That is:
Your "looking for right way to this" without defining "this" is impossible to answer.
Not defining what point you are at now makes it impossible to answer.

If you don't know what your starting point is, tell us all you have done and why.
We might be able to figure out what advice you need.

You probably should go to a web-site in your own language for your answers.
There are 1.4*10^9 people in your country, somebody knows the answers.

Last edited by knc1; 08-23-2017 at 09:47 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
coplate
Evangelist
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 483
Karma: 1253368
Join Date: Jun 2009
Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
I you shure ?

In my voyage when I put in recovery uboot mode I can't load mmc image file from usb storage - " command '3' unknown " so I supose this function is disable in my u-boot version.

And fw 5.8.10 don't have diagnostic kernel : command bootm 0xE41000 load kernel but stuck in init : partition with init file missing

I would like to know the steps to load uimage and u-boot from file to mmc space using fastboot and serial cable because I did not find a clear description (the github is a description but for PW not KV and no image files for KV) I'm using mac mini myself, but I have no way to compile the software on it
How are you getting into fastbioot mode?

Do you have the serial cable hooked up?
coplate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,238
Karma: 16600525
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
How are you getting into fastbioot mode?

Do you have the serial cable hooked up?
my guess: bist fastboot

yes, that is the only way to enter: bootm
yes, that is the only way to interact with the recovery menu.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
yabba235
Member Retired
yabba235 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: Voyage
OK, now I know I looking for image file of diagnostic kernel and diagnostic system for KV.
If any help me get it I using fastboot to recovery it.
Without it I nothing to do...
yabba235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,238
Karma: 16600525
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
OK, now I know I looking for image file of diagnostic kernel and diagnostic system for KV.
If any help me get it I using fastboot to recovery it.
Without it I nothing to do...
Find someone else with at KV.
Have them run the script I pointed you at.
Then just use the diag-uImage.bin and diagsys.bin files.
That is the only way to get those files, off of a working device.

It begins to sound as if you tried the "Erase All" selection.
That is about the only way you could have damaged the alternate system.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #13
yabba235
Member Retired
yabba235 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Find someone else with at KV.
Have them run the script I pointed you at.
Then just use the diag-uImage.bin and diagsys.bin files.
That is the only way to get those files, off of a working device.

It begins to sound as if you tried the "Erase All" selection.
That is about the only way you could have damaged the alternate system.
I do not believe that you do not have copies of these images, but how do I understand that I can not count on help here?
You only help each other, someone from the outside is stranger?

Bye, bye big dev
yabba235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,238
Karma: 16600525
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
I do not believe that you do not have copies of these images, but how do I understand that I can not count on help here?
You only help each other, someone from the outside is stranger?

Bye, bye big dev
You are correct.
It is all a big conspiracy against people "from the outside", just to make life harder for yourself.

I backup my devices the moment I take them out of the box.
Why did you not do the same?
There is no way you can blame me for your not backing up your device before changing it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cinisajoy's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,551
Karma: 77381283
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post
I do not believe that you do not have copies of these images, but how do I understand that I can not count on help here?
You only help each other, someone from the outside is stranger?

Bye, bye big dev
How can I have a copy of your kindle?
Yes, we do typically only help those willing to help themselves.
You must have us mixed up with someone else.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Search & Replace changes in 3.0 Phssthpok Editor 4 06-21-2017 05:04 AM
Search & Replace Help paulfiera Conversion 7 08-06-2015 04:52 AM
How to make a uImage.... fastrobot Kobo Developer's Corner 1 07-19-2015 11:16 AM
Search & Replace Scott Nielsen Sigil 4 10-29-2013 01:10 PM
Glo Kobo Glo: how to replace boot image elpaso Kobo Developer's Corner 12 05-08-2013 12:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.